Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sports Illustrated predicts Redskins to win the NFC East in 2007

#98QBKiller

Your wrong cause Portis was on the IR when Campbell made his first start. You can not tell me our o-line has been playing like this all year, started when JC got the start. Portis was playing hurt all season. JC can throw the deep ball, his numbers aren't impressive but teams respect his deep ball.

Not knocking Betts, he is a solid back up. But he is no Portis

Actually Portis was injured in the Philadelphia game, which was Brunell's final game.

Synopsis of a losing year. SI may have missed these.

Brunell remained too long at starting QB. IMHO

Injuries to Portis, Prilioux, and Springs.

New offensive co-ordinator not in sync with Gibbs.

Questionable time management.

Ultra-conservative play calling in critical situations. IMHO

Free agent bust Arch.

Lloyd's struggles and attitude.

New QB growing pains.

?Defense tuning out Williams?

Weak pass coverage.

Tough schedule.

No turnovers. Fumbles or interceptions.

Very little luck.

Early overconfidence.

Preseason fiasco.

Training camp.

Defense secondary compromised.

Previous offensive minded head coach being a delegator. IMHO

Lack early in season of team identity.

Rare sacking of opponents QB.

Off season by Taylor.

Front office personell decisions.

Early loss of team defensive chemistry.

New players trying to find role on team.

Add that to:

Few draft picks for next year.

Restructuring of Core Redskins contracts needed.

These are probably a FEW reasons the season went south. The most optimism I can express for next year is something is due to go right. Of course in the NFL things can turn around quickly. I hope this year was the rebuilding year and next year we get on a roll early. There are a lot of positives that came out with Campbell, Betts and offensive line. I don't necessarily need a Super Bowl season next year but I want the real Joe Gibbs Redskins to show up.:point2sky

P.S. I am still an ultimate homer, but my burgundy and gold glasses need to be a deeper tint.

Yeah right...this team is in shambles...particularly the defense. We're gonna have to have a wholesale on the defensive staff before we are going to be in contention.

The 3-13 Saint were in "shambles" a last season and were 5 years away from contending...

The NY Jets were only going to win 3 games this season and be in the Brady Quinn sweep stakes...

The Steelers were the defending Superr Bowl Champions and were going to be even better this time around...

My point is......

We are as close to a Super Bowl as were ever were the last couple seasons...and as far away too! Every single year, teams flip flop...and on average 6 of the 12 teams make it back to the post season...it may be 5 this year.

We can go out in free agency and shore up our secondary...we can get a veteran QB behind JC if Brunell doesn't return...we can give Lloyde his walking papers and go get another #2 WR...we can pick up where we left off a year ago and maybe this time we'll get it right...maybe not...but the free agents to make an impact ARE out there...it's just a matter of pin pointing which ones they are.

WE could play the Taxans in the Super Bowl next year...who the heck knows?

Again I see comments on how our offense seems so exciting now and explosive. Why exactly? How are we comparable to the KC team where Saunders had a #1 Offense? I see mention constantly of a deep threat but unless I am wrong, save a few intermediate completed passes for long yardage where are the results? I know JC will progress with time but I am beginning to get aggravated with all the people here saying we are lighting it up on offense! I realize we have been forced into watching mediocrity for a few seasons now on offense but if this is what a "high-powered" offense will look like next season, I'm already scared! -20 points in every game (some against terrible defenses) and one decent performace on Offense against a team with a weak defense since our young QB starting lighting the world on fire. :2cents:

You must have missed the long pass to Lloyd on the reverse by Randle El --- that was our deep threat against the Eagles :( Next year, Super Bowl is in the new Arizona stadium. Miami is overrated in February anyway :)

Again I see comments on how our offense seems so exciting now and explosive. Why exactly? How are we comparable to the KC team where Saunders had a #1 Offense? I see mention constantly of a deep threat but unless I am wrong, save a few intermediate completed passes for long yardage where are the results? I know JC will progress with time but I am beginning to get aggravated with all the people here saying we are lighting it up on offense! I realize we have been forced into watching mediocrity for a few seasons now on offense but if this is what a "high-powered" offense will look like next season, I'm already scared! -20 points in every game (some against terrible defenses) and one decent performace on Offense against a team with a weak defense since our young QB starting lighting the world on fire. :2cents:

I think some are being blinded by that lack of red zone production....

But this o has been moving the ball with ease....

I always said that the production in the red zone would come if we continue to get there...

The last 4 weeks we have been 3rd in total yds per game

behind New Orleans and Indy

371 yds per game the last 4

With a fresh young QB and back up tailback thats impressive ....

The rushing game is 2nd in the NFC and 4th over all through 15 games....

If you take away micheal vicks scrambling we are # 1 in the NFC in rushing this season

If thats not flashes and potential then i dont know what is...:notworthy:notworthy:cheers:

funny, because his replacement has done nothing but put up the best 5 game stretch in franchise history. and the offense has been better.

yeh, only because campbell stepped to the plate and other teams defense have to respect the deep threat unlike with brunell's dinks and dunks, which opens up running lanes. imagine if PORTIS were playing with campbell at QB. instead of a Betts 1st down Portis would take it to the HOUSE. think about it.

Actually Portis was injured in the Philadelphia game, which was Brunell's final game.

in actuallity Portis injured his shoulder in one of the pre-season games, but played with an injured shoulder until he broke his hand in the eagles game. oh and he never played with JC at QB, he played with brunell.

I think some are being blinded by that lack of red zone production....

But this o has been moving the ball with ease....

I always said that the production in the red zone would come if we continue to get there...

The last 4 weeks we have been 3rd in total yds per game

behind New Orleans and Indy

371 yds per game the last 4

With a fresh young QB and back up tailback thats impressive ....

The rushing game is 2nd in the NFC and 4th over all through 15 games....

If you take away micheal vicks scrambling we are # 1 in the NFC in rushing this season

If thats not flashes and potential then i dont know what is...:notworthy:notworthy:cheers:

I'm not doubting our ability to run up big yards. My question is how do people really believe we have "all of a sudden" become this deep attacking offensive threat? It simply doesn't exist yet. I'm not saying it never will, just that I haven't seen it. You can't make me believe that opposing coaches are afraid of our deep pass attack when our QB completes less than 50% of his passes and averages -200 yards a game and then worries about our running attack second. No way. If the Coughlin is 1/10th the coach people said he was 2-3 years ago then the Giants will stuff the run and make our QB beat them because they should be afraid of us running for 150+ on them, not showering them with 40+ yards bombs from the air. Although I would love to see it! :cheers:

I'm not doubting our ability to run up big yards. My question is how do people really believe we have "all of a sudden" become this deep attacking offensive threat? It simply doesn't exist yet. I'm not saying it never will, just that I haven't seen it. You can't make me believe that opposing coaches are afraid of our deep pass attack when our QB completes less than 50% of his passes and averages -200 yards a game and then worries about our running attack second. No way. If the Coughlin is 1/10th the coach people said he was 2-3 years ago then the Giants will stuff the run and make our QB beat them because they should be afraid of us running for 150+ on them, not showering them with 40+ yards bombs from the air. Although I would love to see it! :cheers:

When in his first six games that young QB has thrown the ball down field on a regular and has hit bombs for a TD of 42, 31, and 34 yards...

as well as completions of 19 & 20 yards on the same drive along with other Deep in patterns that resulted in long catch and run plays...

That is a threat.....

I also think that people mistaked saunders offense for the run and shoot or the spurrier chuck and duck offense....just because he racked up alot of yards in KC....

Because you put up plenty of yards dont mean you go deep all the time..

The way we have mixed the run with deep passes, and gained huge 15-20 yard chunks in between on draws,screens and reverses is what i always saw in KC...

I think some people had the wrong idea of what this O was supposed to be.....he had almost 2300 yards rushing the last 5 years in KC and now washington.....so it has always been a balanced attack...

yeh, only because campbell stepped to the plate and other teams defense have to respect the deep threat unlike with brunell's dinks and dunks, which opens up running lanes. imagine if PORTIS were playing with campbell at QB. instead of a Betts 1st down Portis would take it to the HOUSE. think about it.

i can think about it.

but when i think about it, i realistically take into account how much faster betts hits the hole. always north and south.

Wouldn't suprise me if the skins won the division next year, in fact I expect them to win the division. Our defense is bad because of GW, if he fixes his schemes for next year we can have a top defense that will be upgraded through the draft and FA. I don't think anyone realizes how much it hurts to not have Portis in the backfield, he totally changes our offense. Campbell should develop and build a level of comfort with our WRs in the offseason. :dallasuck :eaglesuck :gaintsuck

it isnt the scheme its the players

why elese would ST lead the team in tackle:doh:

you got a point, im sure portis could have taken a lot of those runs by betts to the house, not to take anything away from betts, he is outstanding in the past 5 weeks, but portis just has the speed and burst to score big.

I would argue the same point but change "speed and burst" to agility and balance, and maybe add vision for good measure. Betts has been playing great though, it's fun to see him eat up those big chunks of yards.

it isnt the scheme its the players

why elese would ST lead the team in tackle:doh:

Yeah, it's mostly the lack of talent we have on the defensive side of the ball and the fact that 6 of 11 starters are 30 or older. Of course, that doesn't mean GW is an angel. Offenses have figured out his schemes and he and Lindsey need to learn how to swallow their egos. The whole philosophy that you can just plug any players into his scheme and make it click is rediculous. It's the PLAYERS on the field that make or break the scheme.

As for the prediction, I'm glad to hear it, but it doesn't mean anything.

Not to nitpick, but he was caught from behind on the shovel pass vs. Houston and did not score. We scored on a Betts TD later on that drive I believe.

Actually, Lloyd drove Robinson down the field in front of portis. Portis tried a little too hard to juke behind Lloyd and Robinson slipped off the block for a tackle. Good blocking by Lloyd (drove Robinson back a good 30 or so yards) and good tackle by Robinson (blocked that far back and still makes an openfield tackle on one of the most elusive backs in the league).

Archived