Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The turning point

Darth Tater

When did you really begin to realize that the Redskins were not going to the playoffs, at least without help?

We were leading the Titans 14-3 and our defense was rocking and our offense was rolling. A short pass to CP breaks big, we're going to go up 21-3! Wait, a flag and the big play turns into a 5 yard loss! Nothing worked after that and our defense left the building.

I think it was the Titans' possession following the Skins second touchdown. It was the time the defense was supposed to put the death blow on the rookie quarterback and turn the game into a blowout (like the Niners game last season). But the Redskins D had nothing - completely impotent. In the back of my mind I feared our team just didn't have "it"

After the nice run last year I think a lot of people thought that we might be something special this year. The 0-2 start was frustrating but after the thrilling win against Jacksonville I thought there was still hope. But then we laid the big egg in NY and I knew this team was going to struggle big time.

As far as playoff hopes, I'd say the coffin was shut when we lost in Indy to go 2-5 heading into the bye. Beating Dallas after the bye was nice, but even then I think a lot of folks realized our season was over.

I was keeping track of the playoffs picture through the Egales game and wanted to beleive that it was never to late and if we could just sneak into the playoffs... we would be like the steelers last year....

However - If I need to be honest, I was at a minor league baseball game in CA with my son, looked up at a TV that was showing preseason highlights of the Pats and the Redskins (41-0). This was after the coaches saying that week 3 of the preseason was all that mattered in the preseason..

Right there - I looked at my son and said "Um... Looks like we may have to rethink this years Redskins Team". I didn't want to beleive, but I new something was wrong....

When we lost at home to the titans. This was one of the few times in my life that I was 100% sure we were going to win. I have never left Fed Ex as mad as I was on this day. Deep down I knew our season had little hope. I did not calm down until exit 8 on the NJ turnpike.

Not that it was anyone's fault, but you could tell that things might not break our way this year when Brunell hit Moss in the back of the end zone late in the first half vs. the Vikings and Sharper lit Moss up resulting in an incompletion and FG. We lost 4 points on that possession that ultimately were the difference in the game.

That was an omen that we were just a step late to make the key plays this year.

I had my doubts in the preseason. Sure, teams have been 0-4 in the preseason and gone on to win the SB. But the Skins weren't just 0-4, they were a BAD 0-4. Then they came out to start the regular season 0-2. At that point, I realized that the preseason wasn't just a fluke and we had major problems to deal with.

After the nice run last year I think a lot of people thought that we might be something special this year. The 0-2 start was frustrating but after the thrilling win against Jacksonville I thought there was still hope. But then we laid the big egg in NY and I knew this team was going to struggle big time.

As far as playoff hopes, I'd say the coffin was shut when we lost in Indy to go 2-5 heading into the bye. Beating Dallas after the bye was nice, but even then I think a lot of folks realized our season was over.

I didn't say it here because I generally try to be optimistic but I had a bad feeling about the first Giants game. At that time, even though they'd been losing, I was worried they'd stop shooting themselves in the foot (if they hadn't, I think they'd have been undefeated when we faced them). I don't remember any glaring mistakes made by the Giants and I remembered the stinker we played there last year (after crushing San Fran). I wasn't worried after that game although since we'd lost to Dallas in Dallas and Minnesota, I guess we really needed that one.

I figured this season was pretty shot when out defense failed to produce a single big stop at home against a Titans offense that was the worst in the league at that point in the season. I knew at this point that our defense was awful and that there were serious internal problems with this team. Come to think of it, I still can't believe we managed to lose to both the Vikings and Titans AT HOME!

Archived