Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The turning point

Darth Tater

I started wondering what kind of season it would be when I saw the schedule and that our first three NFC East games were away. Then I looked at the bye schedule and saw that we played 3 or more teams after they had an extra week off. I still held hope after the abysmal pre-season, although the 41-0 shellacking made me think nothing but bad could come of this. And when I saw Portis hurt, and Springs out for the first 4 games, I just felt like things were going to get worse. Then Pierson Prioleau went down on the first play and I thought that it might be an omen of worse things to come, if that were possible. (At least we didn't play Dallas the week after the semi-bye they get every Thanksgiving...)

But I guess the final straw was when I saw our third NFC East game and the offense totaled 3 field goals for all 3 games. I guess I could have given up earlier, but who else was I going to cheer for? There's only the Skins. The season ends Saturday night.

First sign of trouble....New Offensive System with Saunders (continuity was messed up)

Second sign of trouble....No real answer to the QB situation (an aging vet, untested rookie, and Todd Collins)

Third sign of trouble...Portis goes down in preseason

Fourth sign of trouble...Pierson P goes down for the season opening kickoff

Final nail in the coffin...losing to the Titans

I was worried at how bad Brunell Looked against Dallas that first game...It didn't look good and I knew JG would keep him in there too long. I Liked Brunell last season but he played about as poorly as a QB can play that game.

Putting in Campbell sooner and the Skins might still be in the thick of the playoff race with another win or 2 at best. The defense going from 9th to 30th..I'm sure surprised each and every fan.. I do credit most of those losses to Springs being out and not having the right depth.. we did not plan well for losing our number 1 corner.

Which coffin nail to choose from? The Viking game pretty much signaled that the preseason bs was just that, bs (oh, but I forgot, it's a 3 year plan now). It's the kind of game (supposedly weaker team with first year coach -- and at home) we need to win -- and lost. There's been a lot of those. But perhaps the real indicator was the Giants game, where a gutless performance was there for all to see, and the weak excuses that followed ("it always tough up there in the Meadowlands"). Sometimes it's not whether you lose, but how you lose. In both the Giants game and the first Eagles game, hated division rivals where you have every reason to expect your guys to be totally cranked, the bunch that "fights its guts out week by week" couldn't find where those guts were located.

Hate to second what so many other people have said, but it was definitely the Titans game for me, particularly when they blocked the punt for the safety and I could tell that we were being outplayed, not just on a fluke. The walk back to the car from our seats that day was terrible because we realized that the Skins just aren't very good, plain and simple. The wins against Houston and Jacksonville seemed to redeem our 0-2 start, and the Giants game I was willing to look past because of our history at the Meadowlands, particularly last year, but watching an 0-5 team with a Rookie QB come to our house and beat us while we didn't even force them into a single interception (not to mention Travis Freakin Henry putting up over 170 on us) really made me realize that we just weren't very good.

When we lost at home to the titans. This was one of the few times in my life that I was 100% sure we were going to win. I have never left Fed Ex as mad as I was on this day. Deep down I knew our season had little hope. I did not calm down until exit 8 on the NJ turnpike.

Yeah, you were a little P.O.'D when you left the parking lot.

I drove up for the Titans game, and I have never been more dissapointed in the skins in my entire life. At that point I knew we weren't close to a playoff team.

We blew a lead against a team that at the time was a bottom feeder.

We went away from the run with an 11 point lead against the worst run defense in the league at the time. I was dumbfounded by the playcalling.

It became clear that our offense was horribly predictable. Our defense, despite popular belief, actually played pretty well in the second half of that game, especially in the fourth quarter when we were losing. The offense did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING in response.

Despite the good play in the fourth quarter, the defense looked pretty bad. It was clear that they weren't the top 10 defense of 04 and 05.

I left that game disgusted. In talking with my dad while looking over the schedule, I predicted we would be 5-11 or 6-10 with a slight chance of going 8-8. I hate being right sometimes.

Archived