Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Packers in the Playoffs???

PokerPacker

can you believe that it is still legitimatly possible for the Packers to make it to the playoffs this year? If Carolina beats Atlanta, the Giants lose twice, and the Packers beat the Bears, we're in!

if the giants win one game and lose the other, it'll be close, it will go down to several tie-breaking levels that are too time-consuming to figure out. but the bottom line is, Packers still have a chance! :party:

Being a Favre guy I follow the Packers so I can help out.

YES, the Giants have to lose for the Pack to get in. Their strength of victory is better than Green Bay's.

St Louis has to lose too, since they have head to head tiebreaker over Green Bay.

UNLESS, Carolina beats New Orleans, or Atlanta beats Philly. Then I think the Packers would win a three way tiebreaker based on conference record (7-5 for GB, 6-6 for Carolina & St Louis (and Atl))

I actually think Green Bay gets in on a FIVE WAY tiebreaker as well, which would happen if the Eagles lose to Dallas & then Atlanta.

Philly & Green Bay would both have 7-5 conference records, with the other three being 6-6. Philly would win wild card #1 due to the head to head win over the Pack, but the Pack would take spot #2.

Damn, my head hurts.

To finish, this has to happen.

GREEN BAY has to beat Chicago

The Giants must lose

St Louis losing makes things much easier. If St Louis wins, Carolina or Atlanta MUST win.

There you have it. I've come to 2 conclusions.

1) Green Bay isn't going to the playoffs

2) I have too much time on my hands

NFL tiebreaking procedures

http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakers

If the Packers win next week and the Giants do too they would both have a 7-5 conference record, which would eliminate other wildcard teams regardless of how they do since none of them can have better than 6 conference wins, not considering the Eagles and Dallas.

It looks like the tie-breaking step to be applied between the Giants and Packers woud be 'Strength of Victory', I guess that means the difference in poitns scored vs. points allowed in the wins?

I think it would be cool to see Farve have won last hurrah in the playoffs. I'm sure Madden would love it ! :-)

So basically your looking at this

Chicago, Seattle, New Orleans, Dallas locked

Philly is getting in.

New York, Atlanta, Green Bay fight for the last spot.

So that means right now it seems

Dal/Philly Loser @ Seattle Round 1

NY/ATL/GB @ Dallas/Philly Winner Round 1

[/Quote]

That is the simplest I've seen this crazy playoff quandrum put.

If the Giants beat Washington, they are pretty much in. There are some crazy things that could happen where Green Bay could get in over them with a win but they are quite far fetched.

If the Giants lose and Packers win, the Packers are in. And you know Chicago is not going to be playing too hard next week. Although I doubt they would want to lose a home game right before the playoffs, hopefully.

can you believe that it is still legitimatly possible for the Packers to make it to the playoffs this year?

Edit: Screwed up with the Giants and Falcons on first post.

Correction: If Green Bay, Minnesota, Carolina, St. Louis, Atlanta, Giants, and San Fran end with 7-9, the Giants will be the 6th seed.

Three or More Clubs

1. Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2.

Green Bay > Minnesota

Carolina (4-2 div.) > Atlanta (3-3 div.)

San Fran (3-3 div.) > St. Louis (2-4 div.)

3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.

Giants (6-6)

Packers (6-6)

Carolina (5-7)

San Fran (5-7)

Giants and Packers are 0-3 both in common games

Strength of victory?

OK... I give up.

If they beat the Bears next week... they're the 6th seed. If they lose, they'll still be the 6th seed if the Giants, Panthers, Falcons, Rams and 49ers lose also.

I don't know why Football Night in America kept saying that the Giants own (as of now) the 6th seed. Totally FALSE. Right now the Falcons own the Giants because the Falcons have already beaten the Giants head to head. So here's how it goes if all 7 (Packers, Vikings, Panthers, Giants, Falcons, Rams, 49ers) end up 7-9:

Atlanta > Giants

Carolina > St. Louis, Atlanta

Green Bay > Minnesota, San Fran

Leaving:

Green Bay (6-6 conf.) > Carolina (5-7 conf.)

Green Bay is the 6th seed if they win over Chicago. If they lose, they must hope the other 6 teams lose also. So, beat Chicago and your in the playoffs.

That's not true. First off, the Giants beat Atlanta.

Second, if 3 or more teams are tied, head to head victories mean nothing, unless one team beat all of them.

Since I have problems, I'm going to figure out the strength of victory issue between the Giants & the packers. Give me a couple of minutes

OK guys, this is for Tom & Pokerpacker. There's one thing each of us does/knows more than they should. For some reason, mine is NFL playoff scenarios. I have to figure out how to make money off of this.

Anyway, here is the Pack/Giant breakout, should they be tied.

Both teams will be 8-8, with 7-5 conference records. It then goes to common games, which the Giants lead right now (they're 1-4, and the Packers are 0-4). Under this scenario, the Packers would beat the Bears, making them both 1-4 in common games, so it goes to strength of victory. Strength of victory is basically the # of wins the teams that you beat have. Right now, the Giants are ahead comfortably, 46 wins to 33. The Packers can pick up a win tonight, should Miami beat the Jets.

Should they both win next week, the Giants would jump up to 51 wins, while Green Bay would jump to 46 or 47. Lets say Miami wins tonight, giving Green Bay 47. The Packers would have to pick up 4 victories on the Giants.

Week 17 opponents (Giants): Philly vs Atlanta, Dallas vs Detroit, Carolina @ New Orleans, Tampa Bay vs Seattle, Houston vs Cleveland, Atlanta @ Philly.

The Giants are guaranteed at least one win with Philly & Atlanta playing head to head (You guys are crazy if you think I'm factoring in ties to this equation). So they're at 52.

So the Packers have to get five wins from the following teams: Minnesota vs St Louis (counts as 2), Detroit @ Dallas (counts as 2), Arizona @ San Diego, Miami @ Indy, San Fran @ Denver

Not exactly good matchups for the Packers. And since Detroit is a doubler for Green Bay, a Dallas victory over Green Bay will clinch it for the Giants regardless.

If somehow, someway these end up being tied, it goes to strength of schedule, which I believe the Giants have as well.

So basically, the Giants are in good shape if they win Saturday night. The Packers need a loss by the Giants, then the other things I mentioned in my earlier post......

There aren't any Ram/Panther/or Falcon fans around, are they? :)

That's not true. First off, the Giants beat Atlanta.

Second, if 3 or more teams are tied, head to head victories mean nothing, unless one team beat all of them.

Since I have problems, I'm going to figure out the strength of victory issue between the Giants & the packers. Give me a couple of minutes

:doh: Your right. I could have sworn when I did this last night I was looking at the Giants losing to Atlanta. I should have slowed down and proof read it again. Thanks for the correction. :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

Both teams will be 8-8, with 7-5 conference records. It then goes to common games, which the Giants lead right now (they're 1-4, and the Packers are 0-4).

First off, the Giants will not end at 8-8 because the Skins will beat them :D

Anyways, thanks for the strength of victory scenario. Good job! :applause:

Archived