Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is is the "truth"?

TC

According to Whitlock, Gibbs should be fired......

The Redskins make me sad.....

http://sports.aol.com/whitlock/nfl/_a/tomlinson-tops-brown-on-level-playing/20061207111409990001

9. Joe Gibbs should be fired.

The Redskins jumped to a 14-0 first-quarter lead against the Falcons and then proceeded to get shut out for three quarters. Ladell Betts rushed for 155 yards and Santana Moss put up huge numbers in the passing game, but the Redskins couldn’t get the ball across the goal line.

Despite all the talk about Denny Green’s Arizona nightmare, the worst coaching job in the league is being turned in by one of the game’s most revered coaches. Green can hide behind the cheapness of the Bidwill family. Gibbs has no such excuse.

At 4-8, the Redskins have one more victory than the Cardinals.

Why does everyone protect Gibbs so much? I bleed burgundy and gold, but he's right. He's done an awful job since he's been here. We have regressed under his tutelage. We have taken many steps back. We are going to be in rebuilding mode for at least another 2 years. The only problem is that we don't have any draft picks. We're one of the older teams in the league and haven't even begun addressing that. We have no plan. The plan was to win now and that's not happening. I don't think he is in this for the long run. That wasn't his intention. It just kills me, that we have to go through this year in, year out.

Three words. Consider the source.

I did...and I personally consider the source to be pretty damn good. While many of Whitlock's "truths" (i.e. opinions) are not actually truth at all, I must admit he's made some pretty damn accurate observations over the past couple of years.

Before everyone goes bashing the source here, realize that Whitlock predicted the Skins strong finish last year when they were 5-6. He's usually pretty supportive of the Redskins in his own way.

Gibbs isn't doing a great job, I must admit. He'll never be fired by Snyder though. I will say this....If I hear "fighting their guts out" one more time I may puke my own guts out.

I did...and I personally consider the source to be pretty damn good. While many of Whitlock's "truths" (i.e. opinions) are not actually truth at all, I must admit he's made some pretty damn accurate observations over the past couple of years.

Before everyone goes bashing the source here, realize that Whitlock predicted the Skins strong finish last year when they were 5-6. He's usually pretty supportive of the Redskins in his own way.

Gibbs isn't doing a great job, I must admit. He'll never be fired by Snyder though. I will say this....If I hear "fighting their guts out" one more time I may puke my own guts out.

Remove Portis for half the year, Springs for half the year, Brunell totally bottoming out, Moss for a couple of games, both starting DTs (meaning they are starting 2 6th round picks and a 2nd year UDFA) for one game, starting MLB for another, Archuletta blowing, Lloyd has played and acted like Freddie Mitchell this year, couple those with the fact the defense compeltely falling apart like this - and you get a 4-8 team.

I love when people say "If it was anyone but Joe Gibbs he'd have been fired." No freakin' ****. You know why? B/c they wouldn't have had the pedigree Gibbs had. They wouldn't have proof that they have done it before. Joe Gibbs has had some stinker season before, every coach has!

But here's the kicker: He has never had 2 in a row.

Remove Portis for half the year, Springs for half the year, Brunell totally bottoming out, Moss for a couple of games, both starting DTs (meaning they are starting 2 6th round picks and a 2nd year UDFA) for one game, starting MLB for another, Archuletta blowing, Lloyd has played and acted like Freddie Mitchell this year, couple those with the fact the defense compeltely falling apart like this - and you get a 4-8 team.

I love when people say "If it was anyone but Joe Gibbs he'd have been fired." No freakin' ****. You know why? B/c they wouldn't have had the pedigree Gibbs had. They wouldn't have proof that they have done it before. Joe Gibbs has had some stinker season before, every coach has!

But here's the kicker: He has never had 2 in a row.

joe gibbs is on pace to have his worst year as a pro football coach. 6-10 was the benchmark, we could easily lose the rest of our games this season.

I completely agree. However, he also made a TERRIBLE decision in starting and keeping Brunell in as long as he did and he seems to be having some serious in house issues. You can't blame it all on injuries and poor play. The coaches (not just Gibbs) aren't earning their salaries this year, plain and simple.

joe gibbs is on pace to have his worst year as a pro football coach. 6-10 was the benchmark, we could easily lose the rest of our games this season.

Yeah I don't think they will. St. Louis is as bad as we are, as is Philly w/ Jeff Garcia (although I don't think our cheerleaders will have much success in distracting him!). We could very well beat the Giants at the end of the year - if that team could very well implode. We won't beat NO.

Who the **** is this Whitlock??? Joe Gibbs isn't in the HOF for nothing. He will find a way to fix things. And comparing him to Denny Green??? :wtf: Come on.

20-24 in 2 3/4 seasons isn't good, but it's not horrible either. Green is 14-30 in the same span, with NO winning seasons...

Yes, some changes need to be made, but starting over with a new coaching staff (yet again) is not what we need. Gibbs ALWAYS finds a way to be successful, and he will.....it's just taking longer than most people expected, but it WILL happen.

I think Whitlock is actually a pretty good writer.

And I think Gibbs' coaching job in three years here has ranged from "god awful" to "not bad." Any other coach would be on the hot seat by now.

Obviously, Gibbs deserve a little more lee-way than other coaches. But this is reminding me more and more of "Chuck Noll: The 1980s."

I agree with his first point. Being up 14 to 0, Betts losing his mind with 155 yards, at home against a team who lost 5 in a row. Then giving up 24 unanswered points and lose the game is absolutely pathetic and depressing .Gibbs will not be fired nor should he be. But if this season ends the way its going dont be shocked if he decides to retire.

We have regressed under his tutelage. We have taken many steps back.

Anyone that paid money to watch the Spurrier Redskins could not make this statement. As much as I hated Brunell, he was better than Danny Wuerful. As much as I hate hearing "fighting their guts out", I'd take it over "coach 'em up" or "well, we punted the ball well". Even if we get away from the run too often, it's better than thinking you can win with Trung Candidate as your top RB. And as much as Greg Williams is screwing up this year, at least he knows his defensive players names! Sure things are bad....but they can and have been worse.

Anyone that paid money to watch the Spurrier Redskins could not make this statement. As much as I hated Brunell, he was better than Danny Wuerful. As much as I hate hearing "fighting their guts out", I'd take it over "coach 'em up" or "well, we punted the ball well". Even if we get away from the run too often, it's better than thinking you can win with Trung Candidate as your top RB. And as much as Greg Williams is screwing up this year, at least he knows his defensive players names! Sure things are bad....but they can and have been worse.

I totally agree, I would rather have him over Spurrier anyday. I do however think we are no better as a team now then when we were under the Spurrier era. We just have higher priced players. The first time Gibbs was around he had a great GM who was making all the calls on the personel. They disagreed on many issues (which is actually pretty healthy for a football club) . Gibbs' track recording when it comes to picking players is not that great. I just wish he wasn't as stubborn as he is. He just sounds lilke a broken record. If he really wants to restore us to Glory, hire a bona fide GM and do what got him to the Hall of Fame......Coach. He is a great coach, he should do such. I feel like he is just a figure head right now, ala Bobby Bowden. Although I think Al Saunders is a good offensive coach, Gibbs should be calling the plays. That's why his bust is sitting in Canton. I just hope he fixes it.

Remove Portis for half the year, Springs for half the year, Brunell totally bottoming out, Moss for a couple of games, both starting DTs (meaning they are starting 2 6th round picks and a 2nd year UDFA) for one game, starting MLB for another, Archuletta blowing.

Do you really think that Springs can save an entire worthless defense? Seriously. The entire defense sucks. We have 1 linebacker, 1 corner, and 1 safety. THAT'S IT! Our entire D line is a bunch of backups at best. Holdman and Marshall. Enough said. Jimoh, Fox, Wright, etc. They all suck. Injuries might have cost us a game, but we would still be last place. Injuries don't cause a team to play stupid football(penalties) and to have no heart when they are on the road.

Archived