Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pierson Prioleau...

phatboy41

I remember Matt Bowen having a couple shining moments, and always giving up the deep plays.... what about Reed Doughty????

I was thinking about Reed Doughty too. I guess he is a free safety though and backs up Sean Taylor. At this point though I would try him at SS, he has the size to play there.

PP was a utility guy. He could play the nickel corner, or cover the safety position and allow the other safeties to blitz. He was useful to GW because of the multiple safety looks he likes to employ as well as his knowledge of the system. Losing him hurt more in leadership and on field knowledge more than as a playmaker, but IMO that loss hurt just as much.

PP was a utility guy. He could play the nickel corner, or cover the safety position and allow the other safeties to blitz. He was useful to GW because of the multiple safety looks he likes to employ as well as his knowledge of the system. Losing him hurt more in leadership and on field knowledge more than as a playmaker, but IMO that loss hurt just as much.
Exactly. And he knew how to wrap up guys when tackling, an ability Sean Taylor is sorely lacking.

We also had Omar Stoutmire last year as well. He was very similar and is playing well from what I hear as a nickel DB in New Orleans. :2cents:

Wow....the asinine comments on this board never cease to amaze me. I often wonder if the posters here even watch the games.

Prioleau started out as a "situation" player (nickel and dime) but as the year progressed he made many key plays down the stretch. He also allowed Williams to comfortably use 5 defensive backs, which he loves to do.

Since he was hurt on the first play of the year he obviously didn't get much time to shine this year. However, I'm told from a VERY reliable source (trust me) that he was going to be starting over Archuleta at the beginning of the year. Williams prefers to use several DB's in the majority of his packages and PP fit perfectly into his schemes.

There is absolutely no question that he will make the team next year, barring further problems with his knee. He started rehabbing two weeks after surgery so I'm guessing that there won't be any problems.

I simply refuse to accept that our entire season collapsed because Pierson Freakin' Prioleau got hurt.

You would be right not to believe it. However, I do believe that the combination of losing him AND Clark was too much for the secondary to handle. Clark was beloved by his teammates, including PP and most notably Taylor. Taylor used to go over to Clark's house and play video games with Clark's kids.

in no way do I feel that our entire season went down the drains because PP got hurt first game... but I can remember watching interviews with GW in the offseason and him repeating how impressed he was with PP, so you gotta think that losing a starting safety in a strict defensive scheme has gotta be a very very low blow.

Does anyone think that next season, a healthy Pierson will fill our need at safety and him and Sean Taylor will take over our back field? And, who knows anything about Reed Doughty? Is he any good?

I think Taylor is as much a liability has PP. Yes he hits hard, but he misses way too many tackles and he couldn't cover anyone.

You guys should trade him and rebuild your team. Taylor sucks

apologies...but I don't get all the enthusiasm for PP. During pre-season what I saw was a cat who was never, ever on top of a receiver. I have memories of someone who constantly went airborne for late hits (relative to when the ball was caught) rather than breaking up passes. just an observation.

Double-P was unfortunately a liability all the time last season. I seem to remember our inability to stop the deep ball in the 2nd half of the season had a lot to do with him.
This statement is so far from reality that I'm puzzled someone with the ability to type could make it. Prioleau is the best #3 safety and can back up both safety positions. Losing him devastated our secondary and is the main cause of their instability. Trouble with the deep ball? Seriously, did you even watch last year? We were much better against the deep ball last year WITH PRIOLEAU! :helmet:

Double-P was unfortunately a liability all the time last season. I seem to remember our inability to stop the deep ball in the 2nd half of the season had a lot to do with him.

Wait, what? Are you sure that you were watching the right player or team? Prioleau was a huge part of our playoff run last year. Go back and watch a couple of games from the six-game run.

How is it that the Patriots can play Troy Freakin' Brown in the secondary and win the Super Bowl while we lose our third safety and can no longer stop anything?

Because the rest of their team picked up the slack and the rest of ours put up the white flag. As long as PP doesnt have any set backs from his injury he'll be back next year getting significant playing time. Reed Doughty hasn't done much but he was only a 6th round pick. IF the kid becomes a player its going to take time. We need to be patient with him and see if there is really anything there before jumping to conclusions.

Archived