Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Where is this team going? (Very pessimistic)

Rodriggo

We're 3-7. A coin toss and a blocked field goal away from being 1-9.

We're bad. Very bad. Top 5 Draft pick bad.

How did we get from potential powerhouse to doormat in 9 weeks? The answer is probably not easy to swallow. We're just not very good and last year's "run" was a fluke and not the true nature of this team. We're headed straight to 4-12 this year and the question remains; where is this team going?

Yesterday was emblematic of what has become a head scratching experience every Sunday. On the sidelines and in the booth is a collection of capable coaches, assistants, and players yet this team is headed backwards and not forwards in what is now year 3. Following this team I am only filled with questions that nobody seems to have the answer to.

Why did we ever hitch our wagon to Mark Brunell?

I know, I know, veteran leadership. I give our coach the benefit of the doubt in 2004, but beyond his benching that season? Why did he start this year? He was NOT an integral part of the "run" last year and played atrocious in the playoffs, yet he was the undisputed leader this year? Why? What had he achieved other than gaining the blind faith of our coach? Give me a break. Did you see the effortlessness of Campbell's delivery to any point of the field yesterday? If your telling me we couldn't be 5-4 right now your crazy. Worse case scenario, other than the one we're already in, is a Jason Campbell hitting his groove with his eleventh start next week not his second.

Why was Al Saunders brought in?

I'm the first to admit that I was excited about the hire, as I was about the signings of Archuleta and Carter, but I'm a dumb fan, not a professional GM. These guys should know what they're doing right? How could each of those decisions blow up in our face as horribly as they have this season and nobody, I'm talking to you Vinny, GM Gibbs, is in danger of losing his job? Vernon Fox was our safety yesterday. VERNON ******* FOX!?!?!?!?!? And he was subbing Troy Vincent.

I can't believe that Gibbs would want to continue to influence the offense with Saunders at the helm. If you bring him in to take over the offense then give him the reigns or let him go somewhere else. I'm of the opinion that one of them has to go. I would prefer that it be Saunders, if only for the phrase, "if it's not broke don't fix it." Last year when we were in a corner we ran the **** out of the ball and went 5-0 to finish 10-6. That was Gibbs and it worked, this year we're scatterbrained, going into tough road games without making an attempt to establish the run.

Yesterday we started Ladell Betts over T.J. Duckett. While that might not stand out yet, it will when Duckett is tearing it up next year on the Jets, or the Raiders, or the Eagles and Betts is still playing teams and riding pine behind CP. Duckett goes 5 for 28. Simple math would deduce that if given a paltry 20 carries he "could have" gained 112 yds. That wouldn't have helped yesterday right? Even in playing him they misuse him. His first run between the tackles goes for 18. His next four, all sweeps, go for 10. It can't be Gibbs right? Regardless, the final stat line shows a 2 to 1 ratio pass to rush, with a "rookie" qb on the road? Insanity. Note to OC: RUN THE ******* BALL!

What happened to this defense?

I'm not a coach, but when you line up Marcus Washington next to a DE and blitz him on EVERY passing down aren't you playing your hand as well as taking your best LB out of the play? I liked what Wise said yesterday, "it's a prevent defense with no pass rush." I support Gregg if only for the two previous seasons but let's be honest with ourselves. Lemar Marshall is not a starting middle linebacker and Warrick Holdman is "WHO WE THOUGHT HE WAS!" Carlos Rogers' performance has made us all realize that we used a first round pick on a nickel back. Not good.

The 2005 draft though pales in comparison to the 2006 class which includes special teams ace and fellow first rounder Rocky McIntosh who holds the title as most dissappointing Miami defender in history and has not cracked this all-star linebacking corps. Typical. When the Eagles, Giants, or Cowboys are constantly tripping over stud defensive players we draft a guy from the U and he doesn't see the field. We overhyped these guys and this is what we trully are. Those of you that think Ryan Clark holds the key to our success are too far gone.

Where are we going?

Gibbs is just a man, not a wizard or a savior, or a miracle worker. He's capable of making mistakes and he's made one big one, not finding a starting quarterback. It's cost us three years, and when we finish 4-12 we will have a 20-28 record, not good. The one unit that was Super Bowl worthy, which he had nothing to do with, was the D and now it's gone, so what are we left with? If he stays or goes he is no less the man that left here in 92. I would want him stay if only to avoid the realization that even he couldn't turn this ship around.

Faith? I have no faith. It was wretched from me yesterday when a young Jason Campbell "played his guts out", did everything within his power to win and this team still didn't respond. With a 10-3 lead the D gave up 17 unanswered and the team just quit after the Betts fumble. The only thing that had me convinced of Gibbs ability this time around was the grit and determination of our team, but it's no longer there. In a pathetic conference with only one or two good teams we aren't even in the conversation for the postseason with six weeks left.

Faith is what has gotten us in trouble. Faith in Brunell, in Lemar Marshall, in Carlos Rogers, in our front office to patch up a weakness with a big name signing, and in an old coach to build a SECOND dynasty. There is too much faith and not enough reason with this team. I don't have any answers but just one suggestion. It's time for our owner to look hard in the mirror and sign a competent General Manager. Someone with a resume, who is disconnected from the faith and fear of Gibbs and company, someone who hires competent scouts that can steer clear of our yearly FA landmines and draft day busts or at least minimize the number and frequency of their occurence.

To those of you that are going to question my fandom, just know this.

When we run it 9 times next week and throw it 40, I'll be there.

When the Carolina backup RB goes for 150, I'll be there.

When Vick goes for 500 total yds., I'll be there.

When Reggie Bush gets his first 100 yd. game, I'll be there.

When Marc Bulger hangs 400 yds on us, I'll be there.

When we lose to JEFF GARCIA, I'll be there.

and when we spoil the Giants season, I'll be there too.

Go Skins.

I often wonder what these message boards would look like if we were 5-5 like we should at least be.

Obviously this year is shot.

Next year will be better...especially if we get that top 5 pick.

Rogers, Marshall, and all the free agents are not the worst of our problems...

I couldn't agree more about TJ starting and the play calls.

Good post, a lot of that was right on, but why can't you continue to hope.

Following a team like the Redskins with no hope is like jumping out of a plane with no parachute. The fall is fun, until you realize you can't stop it. If you have the chute, you can fall as long as you want, then slow down and coast to safety.

Your FANDOM may keep you at the game, but my HOPE keeps me in the seats.

My hope says ANY GIVEN SUNDAY

I often wonder what these message boards would look like if we were 5-5 like we should at least be.

Obviously this year is shot.

Next year will be better...especially if we get that top 5 pick.

Rogers, Marshall, and all the free agents are not the worst of our problems...

I couldn't agree more about TJ starting and the play calls.

We won't get a top 5 pick next year. I believe we've traded away pretty much all our 1,2,and 3rd rd picks for the next few years.

I guess one big problem the 'skins have is player management. They are not good in the player decisions and developing young college atheletes. Gibbs has said time and again he believes in using proven free agants to put a winning team together. I totally dis agree. This year proves it.

I am more into building a dynasty. You can't do that with all older players. You need a mix. AND you need reliable players. Players that don't get hurt easy. I read this year we have the oldest team in the NFL. Average age was like 27. something.

Another thing I've noticed is a lot of the more successful lines are not big fat 300+ linemen. They are lighter strong and very mobile. For the past couple years now I have believed that our problems lie with both our lines offense and defense.

Lets look at Chicago. Their line is great,not good -great. I believe Brunell would be able to take em to the 'bowl. All they need to do is plug in a Qb,just about any would do. The better the Qb, the better their chances,but It seems pretty obvious. I believe even Ramsey would do good there. good as Grossman. So you know I really Disliked Ramsey. I thought he made Brunell look good!

As far as our D goes? Don't know really where to begin. I do question Greg Williams. Did he really think he was UPGRADING our D by ridding us of ARRINGTON, SMOOT, and BAILEY? Not sure if he was here for Bailey but whoever it was that traded them- RIDICULOUS!!! I know we got Portis, but there had to be another way. I think I started questioning defensive player "purging" (of good players) back when we got rid of J. Trotter. Another BAD move.

Someone needs to change the way this team expends good players and wastes excessive money on older "proven" free agents and totally disregards and disrespects the draft and development of young players.

Excellent post. Man you nailed them all...the coaching decisions have been horrible to say the least...no foresight...but you missed something that i truly believe destroyed our Defense...it was Williams adamant, no arrogant belief that they could put any player into his schemes, regardless of their talent, and we all know that is bull**** now...but does Greg?

To those of you that are going to question my fandom, just know this.

When we run it 9 times next week and throw it 40, I'll be there.

When the Carolina backup RB goes for 150, I'll be there.

When Vick goes for 500 total yds., I'll be there.

When Reggie Bush gets his first 100 yd. game, I'll be there.

When Marc Bulger hangs 400 yds on us, I'll be there.

When we lose to JEFF GARCIA, I'll be there.

and when we spoil the Giants season, I'll be there too.

Go Skins.

That'd be crazy if all those teams thrashed us, which might happen with the way our D has been playing.

But spoiling the Giants playoff season would be the perfect Christmas present for me (hence the green and red font color. LOL)

Nice post, could not agree more.

My hope says ANY GIVEN SUNDAY

Winning a game any given Sunday means nothing to me. I want a Super Bowl. Maybe it is being able really remember one. I don't know. I want to see somebody put a plan in place that has a realistic possibility in leading to another Super Bowl victory not just win the game on any given Sunday.

It's true that last years team was smoke and mirrors. I did wonder if bringing in Saunders would somehow effect the defense. KC never had a great defense either. Maybe the 2 are related. We sure don't run the ball anymore and that is what helps any defense.

Either way our defense went from great in 04 to Pretty decent in 05 to sieve in 06. How can it get any worse next year?

Never fear skins fans...March is coming and you know what that means...Free-Agency. Everybody knows that no one does free agency like the skins. Keep you chin up, it's coming. Never mind about the regular season...Leave that to franchises that know how to draft and develope players...Like the Cowboys...:laugh:

I was watching the game yesterday with a buddy. In the fourth quarter, the defense was out there sucking wind. He said, "man, the skins just look defeated." As bad as they've been thus far, I didn't sense any quit in them until yesterday. It was really hard to see the D get tired and just quit. Totally flat. Especially with Campbell out there playing with all kinds of heart.

Faith is what has gotten us in trouble. Faith in Brunell, in Lemar Marshall, in Carlos Rogers, in our front office to patch up a weakness with a big name signing, and in an old coach to build a SECOND dynasty. There is too much faith and not enough reason with this team. I don't have any answers but just one suggestion. It's time for our owner to look hard in the mirror and sign a competent General Manager. Someone with a resume, who is disconnected from the faith and fear of Gibbs and company, someone who hires competent scouts that can steer clear of our yearly FA landmines and draft day busts or at least minimize the number and frequency of their occurence.

That is absolutely spot on in every department - this should be posted on the Skins Front Office noticeboard - you obviously understand more than most about this situation - would you like a job as a head coach ?

Archived