Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

(Fox) Rotter: Betts will effectively replace Portis

FrFan

Fantasy fallout: Portis out for season Story Tools:

Roger Rotter / FOXSports.com

Prior to the preseason, Clinton Portis was a consensus Top 5 pick in fantasy drafts.

Only Shaun Alexander, LaDainian Tomlinson and Larry Johnson were consistently ahead of Portis in drafts prior to the preseason.

However, Portis fell in many drafts when he dislocated his shoulder in the first preseason game in making an ill-advised tackle to stop an interception return.

He climbed again in some drafts late in the preseason when he was slated to play in the opener against Minnesota, appearing to fully recover.

Despite re-injuring his shoulder in the opener and missing Week 2, Portis was an effective fantasy starter in the first half of the season. He fared better than first-round flops like Arizona's Edgerrin James, Oakland's LaMont Jordan and Tampa Bay's Cadillac Williams.

Read More

Wishing all the very best to JC and Ladell.

Hail

• 2 weeks later...

Can people at least FINALLY show some appreciation for him? I know. He's not Portis. He won't make a Sportcenter highlight. He won't do something to give the Madden Generation a woody but he's doing what running backs are expected to do. Move the ball. Move the chains. Keep drives alive.

He met a wall a few times where there was supposed to be a hole and he got criticized when it was the line that got beat on those plays. Betts is not a vision type of guy that's going to find the hole at the last second and break free. Portis is an unusual player that has that gift, but Betts is doing his job. Today he had 104 yards on 24 carries. That itself deserves some major props. He was moving the chains when the passing game wasn't looking like they could. A guy like him won't always bust the big one but what he will do is keep drives alive to set up the pass.

People said last week that he sucks because he only had 18 yards on 7 carries. That's the problem. HE ONLY GOT 7 CARRIES!!! He started a little slow today but got the wheels going and kept many drives alive.

As I said, he isn't Portis, he isn't going to break the big one often and he almost always is going to follow the direction of the designed play, but he got the job done today. Whether people like it or not he is our starting back the rest of the season so whether you like his style or not let's get behind the guy and support him. Who knows. If he averages a tad over one hundred yards a game the guy could get 1,000 yards this year. Right now he has 488 and averaging 4.3 per carry. Not flashy but he's getting it done.

sincerely,

a shameless Betts fan

PS: he again proved today what I said a couple of weeks ago. When he does get alot of carries he does produce.

betts is just a good player player. he can start on many teams in this league but he will never be a premier back. i think he needs a little more weight or muscle. with his straight ahead style, he rarely breaks a tackle or makes a guy miss. falling down on first contact won't work when the blocking isn't good. there were about 4-5 good plays where if he would have stayed on his feet, that would have been touchdowns.

betts is just a good player player. he can start on many teams in this league but he will never be a premier back. i think he needs a little more weight or muscle. with his straight ahead style, he rarely breaks a tackle or makes a guy miss. falling down on first contact won't work when the blocking isn't good. there were about 4-5 good plays where if he would have stayed on his feet, that would have been touchdowns.

Start on many teams? No way. Look at all the other starting runningbacks in the league, almost all teams have a stud in the backfield these days. Betts is a good role player like you said, but theres probably only 1-2 teams he could start for right now.

Start on many teams? No way. Look at all the other starting runningbacks in the league, almost all teams have a stud in the backfield these days. Betts is a good role player like you said, but theres probably only 1-2 teams he could start for right now.

I count ten.

In no particular order...

-Philly-I would take him over Westbrook.

-Detroit-

-Arizona-Edge is done IMO

-Jets-

-Baltimore-

-Cleveland-

-Houston-

-Tennessee-Better then Henry IMO

-Denver-

-Oakland-

A few possibles too

-Green Bay-

-Carolina-

-New England-

-Jacksonville-

Now some of those teams have young RB's with tons of potential but I'm talking about right now. I may be reaching on some but I'm not really taking the time to look to deep into it. This is just off the top of my head.

I count ten.

-Detroit-

-Jets-

-Baltimore-

-Cleveland-

-Houston-

-Denver-

-Oakland-

A few possibles too

-Green Bay-

-Carolina-

-New England-

-Jacksonville-

Now some of those teams have young RB's with tons of potential but I'm talking about right now. I may be reaching on some but I'm not really taking the time to look to deep into it. This is just off the top of my head.

So what you are saying is Betts is better than...

Westbrook (who has 1300+ combined yds this season)

Edgerrin James (who had 1500+ yards on the ground the past 2 seasons)

Jamal Lewis (absolutely devestated the superbowl champs yesterday)

Rueban Droughns (has had 2 1200+ yd sesaons in a row)

Tatum Bell (who just missed 1000 yds last season despite only starting 1 game)

Ahman Green (whos on pace for 1100+yds this season for the 6th time in 9years)

Corey Dillon (who is still running well up in NE) and

Fred Taylor (who has almost 900 yds so far this season)

Betts has not distinguished himself as an elite runner and would not supplant any of the aforementioned RBs as a starter. This year Betts has more fumbles (3) than he does TDs (1). Over his career he has more fumbles (8) than he has TDs (7 including recieving). His career YPC is only 4.1 and the longest carry of his career is a meager 27 yds. (all stats per NFL.com)

Did he have a good game yesterday? Sure. Would he start for any NFL team barring injuries? Not likely.

Betts is good, but there is no doubt he would be better if he had more speed. Alot of those runs i saw yesterday woulda been extended by 5 - 10yards a pop if he had the speed of portis. But hey, Riggins was never a speedster either :) I still think we should let Sellars run more and steamroll people like Riggins used to :)

I count ten.

-Detroit-

-Jets-

-Baltimore-

-Cleveland-

-Houston-

-Denver-

-Oakland-

A few possibles too

-Green Bay-

-Carolina-

-New England-

-Jacksonville-

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

seriously, that is a rediculous list. Westbrook is far better than Betts, just look at his stats last night. Detroit possibly, but Kevin Jones tears it up when healthy. Jamal Lewis is back in Baltimore. Tennessee is pretty set with the Henry/Brown/White trio. Denver, anyone can start for Denver and look good. DeAngelo Williams will be better than Betts for Carolina. New England, definitely set, as with Jacksonville.

Ill definitely give you Arizona, but no one can run with that line. Jets, Cleveland, Houston, Oakland I can give as well, and Green Bay only partially, but I don't think Betts is far better than Green.

Betts is not a vision type of guy that's going to find the hole at the last second and break free. Portis is an unusual player that has that gift, but Betts is doing his job.

sincerely,

a shameless Betts fan

And vision is the number one attribute that is valuable and looked for in a running back.

Betts is good, but there is no doubt he would be better if he had more speed. Alot of those runs i saw yesterday woulda been extended by 5 - 10yards a pop if he had the speed of portis. But hey, Riggins was never a speedster either :) I still think we should let Sellars run more and steamroll people like Riggins used to :)

We've got to keep Betts and/or TJ Duckett. If Betts gets a huge contract to go somewhere else, we need to resign TJ...

Betts is so average it's rediculous. He has no real burst. The first man usually always brings him down. He has no moves once he gets through to the second level of the defense. He essetially gets exactly what the blocking calls for and not an inch more. There is not one aspect of the game where he excels...he is what he is...a good backup RB.

He's not even the best current back(healthy and active) on this team. Give Duckett the carries that Betts got and let's see the difference in production.

because 6 carries for 5 yards aside from his 19 yarder, really shows a hint of production, only thing duckett has showed me is that he can break a 10+ yarder every 10 times he carries the ball after averaging less than 2 yards every other time and is way overrated on short yardage and goaline situations in which he went nowhere when given the chance, sellers should be the guy getting the runs in those situations

Ladell Betts is a good running back. Good enough to start for some other teams, even. But someone will overpy for him in free agency. We won't bring him back. He'll go to another team--somewhere like Cleveland, where he'll split time and have about the same degree of success as he has in Washington. He's an effort guy who has limited physical skills but gets through by workng hard and fulfilling the specific duties of his role.

Betts is so average it's rediculous. He has no real burst. The first man usually always brings him down. He has no moves once he gets through to the second level of the defense. He essetially gets exactly what the blocking calls for and not an inch more. There is not one aspect of the game where he excels...he is what he is...a good backup RB.

He cant break tackles, can't spin, can't juke, and can't run you over...if the line can block for him he can carry the ball 20+ times, but from a fans standpoint I can't see him being a premier back or a starter on any team. He'll be a free agent next season and won't be back so we should give Duckett more carries so he'll be happy and want to stay, because we will need a backup next season.

Archived