Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Could ST's problem be weight?

mistertim

Look, we have to realize that Sean Taylor isn't a probowl caliber safety until he learns to cover. His big hit mentality gets him in serious trouble.

He has all the potential in the world. If he focuses on covering and tackling, he could become the best defensive back in the league. As it stands, he is feared for his hitting, but not his covering. He also needs to learn to wrap people up when he hits. He has been burned by laying wood, and missing.

Look, we have to realize that Sean Taylor isn't a probowl caliber safety until he learns to cover. His big hit mentality gets him in serious trouble.

He has all the potential in the world. If he focuses on covering and tackling, he could become the best defensive back in the league. As it stands, he is feared for his hitting, but not his covering. He also needs to learn to wrap people up when he hits. He has been burned by laying wood, and missing.

Sean Taylor was the best FS in the NFC last year. Bar none.

The answer to this thread can be found in the Joe Gibbs presser today, he is hurt. He sat out of practice last week for a while and he sat out today. It's mentioned around the 2min mark, even though Joe says it's not a big deal. He is not 100%, it did not mention what is hurting him though.

I think Sean Taylor's problem is that he is not recieving any sort of pass rush, so he has to cover more than what he should...give this man any sort of pressure on the QB, and I GURANTEE you will see him amongst the top 3 safeties in the NFL....Reed, Sanders, Dawkins, Polamalu, Williams, etc all have better pass rushers than what the skins put on the field.....there is no question that #21 is a better athlete than the guys that I mentioned before, but again, he has no help in the pass rush category....if a pass rush is established, and he still isn't producing, then maybe we can start to look at his weight or other factors....

The thing you have to remember is that he's a natural playmaker. That's why Gibbs has him playing special teams. Think about it - if he only played defense we wouldn't have had a chance to win that Cowboys game two weeks ago. Anyone else probably would've fallen on the blocked kick and we would've gone to OT.

I think his main problem is execution. That TD he gave up to Stallworth was probably the worst play I've ever seen from him. That and he was missing tackles left and right. I just don't know what's up with him this year, but he looks like he's out of it for some reason.

Sean is definitely a natural playmaker but it is taking away his ability to do that when you play him on all special teams and every defensive down. I just think we need to take him off kickoff team and punt team and punt return team. He needs to stay in on field goal block team. That wont generally wear him out (with the exception of 2 weeks ago). The coaching staff is overusing him and it wears him out to the point where he cant make plays on defense.

Sean Taylor is a BEAST. The man has one or two bad games and everybody is ready to write him off as Lavar Arrington.

I dont think him gaining muscle weight has anything to do with it. I remember in one of his scouting reports way before we even drafted him said something to the extent where it is amazing how much size he has put on but hasnt lost any speed.

The reason Sean Taylor is winded because he smokes and drinks.

THAT IS FACT PEOPLE!

I

Yep, he is only ONE of the defensive guys not being used to accentuate his strengths. I watched Archuleta in many, many games the past 5 seasons. He was an absolute stud with the Rams. He comes here, and is used primarily in his WEAKEST area, where he was almost never used by Lovie Smith, and is a complete failure. Next year, I guarantee you, he will be in Chicago, and be one of the 2-3 main defensive studs in Lovie's already awesome defense. There will be memories of Trotter and many other studs discarded by our team because the coaches were so hung up on their "brilliant" systems that they could not figure out how to utilize a player with specific skills.

And I know a lot of LaVar's problem was LaVar and/or injuries. But a lot was also Gregg Williams and his staff. I don't like Parcells, but I had to agree with him when he said last year when LaVar could not get off the bench, "Give ME LaVar and I can figure out how to use him!"

Another issue with Gregg Williams is that his entire approach to coaching (totally opposite of Gibbs) is to berate and completely tear down players. It might embarrass/scare/irritate them into performing better for a short while, but in the long run it wears off, then destroys confidence. It has definitely done that with at least 2 of his players - AA and Rogers. I hope it is not happening to ST. This is one of the main reasons the fans and players in Buffalo were overjoyed when GW departed. As you can see, the GW shine has worn off for me. I hope that when Gibbs does leave, Snyder pays the contracted $1M to GW to NOT be head coach.

No, he is not a SS, he is a FS. He can cover. Look at our games in the past. You remember the playoff game in Tampa last year? They were afraid to throw deep all game, but then when Taylor got ejected they started bombing away. This has happened in other games over the course of Taylor's 2 years here. In games where he gets injured, or ones that he misses due to injury, you can definitely see opponents testing us deep a lot more frequently.

Williams loves Taylor so much because he allows Williams to get creative with his defense. Taylor's speed, coverage, and hitting ability allow Williams to send a lot more people in to blitz than he would normally be able to. Taylor can literally cover almost the entire field.

I don't know what his problem has been this season. I agree he has played poorly in coverage this season. But we've seen him be very good in coverage the last 2 seasons, so I'd say his bad coverage this year is the exception, not the rule.

No, ST is a SS playing FS. He should be covering tight ends and running backs instead of wide receivers. The defense needs to go to a cover 3 and use either ST or a linebacker to blitz.

He's been getting burned by TEs, too. Besides, you're talking about the same guy who covered Chad Johnson one on one his rookie year and picked off the ball on a fly route. He has the skills to be a FS, for sure, he's just not playing with intesity or discipline this year.

Sean Taylor is a BEAST. The man has one or two bad games and everybody is ready to write him off as Lavar Arrington.

I dont think him gaining muscle weight has anything to do with it. I remember in one of his scouting reports way before we even drafted him said something to the extent where it is amazing how much size he has put on but hasnt lost any speed.

The reason Sean Taylor is winded because he smokes and drinks.

THAT IS FACT PEOPLE!

I

It's not just a game or two. He's been terrible all year, and that's a fact people.

His problem is a sorry pass rush and corners around him giving 20 yard cushions.

Really? Pass rush explains missed tackels? It explains poor angles that result in blown tackles? It explains getting outrun by tight ends in one on one coverage? It explains the lack of intensity? It explains all the personal foul penalties? MAYBE you can explain away his blown coverages and biting on play fakes to the people around him but the fact is, he's having a very poor year, has not had a good game yet, is playing stupid and undisciplined and his fundementals have been nearly nonexistant. I've watched every game at least twice this year. Watch some games again so you can get an idea of just how many plays he's missing every week.

The answer to this thread can be found in the Joe Gibbs presser today, he is hurt. He sat out of practice last week for a while and he sat out today. It's mentioned around the 2min mark, even though Joe says it's not a big deal. He is not 100%, it did not mention what is hurting him though.

:doh: He missed practice because he had his wisdom teeth pulled. Any other lame excuses why we can't hold him accountable for playing poorly?

I love taylor as much as the next guy but hes been less than stellar overall all year except for a few plays here and there...I just love how people keep making excuses for the guy, he has to make up for everyone else...he plays on special teams and is getting worn out...but yet continue to bash a certain number 22 who also plays on special teams and every defensive play while also giving up alot less tds than number 21 himself

I think that roy williams might be a a perfect example of what might be happening to taylor with this weight thing. Roy williams go noticeably worse in coverage over the years he played. When you watch his highlights from his rookie year he is NOTICEABLY more agile, while now he is still agile for a guy his size he has lost a lot of the quick maneuverability in coverage that he showed early.

Archived