Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Could ST's problem be weight?

mistertim

I apologize if this has been discussed before, but the search function doesn't seem to be working right now. I was thinking back to a thread during training camp where some people were remarking on how Sean Taylor looked even bigger (not fat, muscle) than he has before. I know he has had problems in coverage this year but he seems to be just a couple steps behind usually. Could it be that he put on extra muscle in the offseason and it finally got to that tipping point where it affects his speed? Or do you all think it is simply a problem of having to do lots of jobs/taking on new roles?

I have yet to see anyone mention what I have noticed of Taylor on any of the forums. Taylor is not 100% for any down except the first play of the game. Gibbs plays him too much. He is in every defensive down(which Im ok with), he is on punt team, punt return team, and kickoff team. For Gods sake just let the man sit down for a minute. Has anyone else noticed this? He looks tired all the time. Plus as mentioned above his parachute shirt really isnt very aerodynamic. It looks hideous to begin with. Even my wife took the time to complain about how hideous it looks. Taylor is my favorite Redskin so damnit Gibbs leave him on defense and thats it!

Putting on muscle weight will always slow you down and I believe this is the case. Throw in the obvious: he must cover both sides of the field, preferrably, the side that requires double coverage. Opposing coaching can easily create a plan, with this in mind, to neutralize Sean's ability to recover and help. Still, I must agree with Coach Greg Williams, that he still is one of our favorite players. His emotions can get the best of him, and officials always seem to be ready to throw a flag based on a players conduct.

I, especially loved it when he is free to put a hit on Jeremy Shockey. Once the hit is made, Shockey is always aware of his presence. In a short while, Shockey cannot help but hear the footsteps.

Also, know that Greg Williams must change his schemes hoping to keep the opposing offense off guard.

Still, if Sean lost a few pounds, we would see him near the area of the ball more often.

Hail Redskins!

I have yet to see anyone mention what I have noticed of Taylor on any of the forums. Taylor is not 100% for any down except the first play of the game. Gibbs plays him too much. He is in every defensive down(which Im ok with), he is on punt team, punt return team, and kickoff team. For Gods sake just let the man sit down for a minute. Has anyone else noticed this? He looks tired all the time. Plus as mentioned above his parachute shirt really isnt very aerodynamic. It looks hideous to begin with. Even my wife took the time to complain about how hideous it looks. Taylor is my favorite Redskin so damnit Gibbs leave him on defense and thats it!

That is a good point. So not only does he have to cover for other positions on defensive downs, he also has to play on special teams as well. Certainly could be the case. Did he play on special teams last year at all?

Putting on muscle weight will always slow you down and I believe this is the case. Throw in the obvious: he must cover both sides of the field, preferrably, the side that requires double coverage. Opposing coaching can easily create a plan, with this in mind, to neutralize Sean's ability to recover and help. Still, I must agree with Coach Greg Williams, that he still is one of our favorite players. His emotions can get the best of him, and officials always seem to be ready to throw a flag based on a players conduct.

I, especially loved it when he is free to put a hit on Jeremy Shockey. Once the hit is made, Shockey is always aware of his presence. In a short while, Shockey cannot help but hear the footsteps.

Also, know that Greg Williams must change his schemes hoping to keep the opposing offense off guard.

Still, if Sean lost a few pounds, we would see him near the area of the ball more often.

Hail Redskins! :D

I think ST's problem is the shirt he's been wearing under his jersey...Anyone else notice how damn baggy that thing is? It's like a parachute on em when he starts to run, lol.

He probably thinks he looks cool in that, but when it's soaking wet like it was on Sunday he just looks like some poor kid who has to wear his older brother's shirt.

That is a good point. So not only does he have to cover for other positions on defensive downs, he also has to play on special teams as well. Certainly could be the case. Did he play on special teams last year at all?

The thing you have to remember is that he's a natural playmaker. That's why Gibbs has him playing special teams. Think about it - if he only played defense we wouldn't have had a chance to win that Cowboys game two weeks ago. Anyone else probably would've fallen on the blocked kick and we would've gone to OT.

I think his main problem is execution. That TD he gave up to Stallworth was probably the worst play I've ever seen from him. That and he was missing tackles left and right. I just don't know what's up with him this year, but he looks like he's out of it for some reason.

I think the problem w/ST isnt cosmetic or his weight....

The problem w/him is...The position he plays FS( he should be a SS), The way he is being used, and he has very poor technique...In fact it doesnt look like he has been taught anything at all..He's still playing on instincts...

I hate to say this but he reminds of Lavar...He just cant get right...

I apologize if this has been discussed before, but the search function doesn't seem to be working right now. I was thinking back to a thread during training camp where some people were remarking on how Sean Taylor looked even bigger (not fat, muscle) than he has before.

No I don't believe anyone here has been assigned to the fat patrol.

I think part of it might be that the D in general has been exposed this season and when that kind of thing happens people try and do more! ST may be trying too hard, looking for the big hit, looking to come up to stuff the run AND drop back to cover.... you know what I mean. The pressure of the record so far can make some players, especially young ones, try to do too much rather than realizing that they need to just do their job better, exactly right.

The thing you have to remember is that he's a natural playmaker. That's why Gibbs has him playing special teams. Think about it - if he only played defense we wouldn't have had a chance to win that Cowboys game two weeks ago. Anyone else probably would've fallen on the blocked kick and we would've gone to OT.

I think his main problem is execution. That TD he gave up to Stallworth was probably the worst play I've ever seen from him. That and he was missing tackles left and right. I just don't know what's up with him this year, but he looks like he's out of it for some reason.

I'm wondering also if perhaps he is being asked to think too much this year. I believe ST is by nature an instinctual player as opposed to cerebral. He has the natural instincts to sniff out plays and where the ball is going once things start happening and then get there and make a play. Over time he can combine the two, but he is still young. Now that Clark is gone he is having to call out plays and lead the secondary...basically thinking more than reacting. Combine that with having to cover for lackluster play by some others I'm sure that could cause problems. Hopefully next year things will be ironed out and he can go back to being the ball hawk he was before. He is still my favorite player. :)

It absolutely could be, but that will all get fixed. He wouldn't be the first NFL (or NBA) player who suffered trying to figure out what their frame holds.

Oh well, I am not worried about Taylor... well I'm kinda worried that he might want to leave, but hopefully that is just me...

Yes that is something I have been a bit worried about myself. He also wouldn't be the first NFL player to leave a team where he thought he wasn't being used properly. But I think overall Taylor is happy at Washington. Plus I'm sure that when the time comes to extend his contract we'll give him a sweet one (that is unless we have no money available after signing a bunch of free agents again for a gazillion dollars :doh: )

:cheers:

No, ST is a SS playing FS. He should be covering tight ends and running backs instead of wide receivers. The defense needs to go to a cover 3 and use either ST or a linebacker to blitz.

Yep, he is only ONE of the defensive guys not being used to accentuate his strengths. I watched Archuleta in many, many games the past 5 seasons. He was an absolute stud with the Rams. He comes here, and is used primarily in his WEAKEST area, where he was almost never used by Lovie Smith, and is a complete failure. Next year, I guarantee you, he will be in Chicago, and be one of the 2-3 main defensive studs in Lovie's already awesome defense. There will be memories of Trotter and many other studs discarded by our team because the coaches were so hung up on their "brilliant" systems that they could not figure out how to utilize a player with specific skills.

And I know a lot of LaVar's problem was LaVar and/or injuries. But a lot was also Gregg Williams and his staff. I don't like Parcells, but I had to agree with him when he said last year when LaVar could not get off the bench, "Give ME LaVar and I can figure out how to use him!"

Another issue with Gregg Williams is that his entire approach to coaching (totally opposite of Gibbs) is to berate and completely tear down players. It might embarrass/scare/irritate them into performing better for a short while, but in the long run it wears off, then destroys confidence. It has definitely done that with at least 2 of his players - AA and Rogers. I hope it is not happening to ST. This is one of the main reasons the fans and players in Buffalo were overjoyed when GW departed. As you can see, the GW shine has worn off for me. I hope that when Gibbs does leave, Snyder pays the contracted $1M to GW to NOT be head coach.

Archived