Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Merged x115 Adventures Of The Fashion Police Weekly aka THE Uniform Thread

RSkinsFan

I like the Seahawks unis and I'm starting to think the NFL has clung to its "classic" look for far too long. That being said, the bucs uni is so horrible that I thought it was a spoof when I saw it.

This is exactly how I'm starting to feel. I'm part of the problem too...just a couple years ago, the only uniform changes I've liked were the retro ones (Giants, Jets, etc.). 

Lately, I think turning the page is a good idea, especially for the Redskins. I wouldn't mind the emotional change between my childhood team of the 1980s and the current team. I also am really liking the cooler accent colors that Nike has introduced (Seattle's green, the yellow and orange from the Pro Bowl, etc.). 

I would definitely like some movement by the Skins here. 

• Like 1

I like the Seahawks unis and I'm starting to think the NFL has clung to its "classic" look for far too long. That being said, the bucs uni is so horrible that I thought it was a spoof when I saw it.

I mean, are they football players or VR Troopers?  I'm all for a modern look if it incorporates some traditional aspects too. Every time I see one of the Seahawks player introductions I'm half expecting one of them to say "It's Morphin' Time" or something similar

I don't want it to be like the NBA where they scheme up horrific alternates or flat out make **** up when it comes to throwbacks. College i already out of control (80% of those jerseys are ugly as ****). Please for the love of god keep that out of the NFL

Edited by Mr. Sinister
  • Like 1

I mean, are they football players or VR Troopers? I'm all for a modern look if it incorporates some traditional aspects too. Every time I see one of the Seahawks player introductions I'm half expecting one of them to say "It's Morphin' Time" or something similar

I don't want it to be like the NBA where they scheme up horrific alternates or flat out make **** up when it comes to throwbacks. College i already out of control (80% of those jerseys are ugly as ****). Please for the love of god keep that out of the NFL

The NBA has some ugly alternates, especially around the holiday season, but the NFL trots out some horrid throw backs. All in the name of celebrating tradition, as if that word means anything to owners that will walk out on fan bases the second those fans refuse to pay for a stadium. Must be nice running a business where the most expensive piece of your operating is acquired by threatening your customers.

The browns might have the most objectively god awful uniform in sports but its a perfect example of the kind of boring garbage the NFL celebrates in the name if tradition. It's gone on too long and the league needs some freshness, in my opinion. All of the stuff we praise as traditional was new once, meaning someone had the stones to create something. We don't need to pretend each design is timeless.

But please... blacklist the person that decided calculator font was ideal for the bucs uniform. That should be a career ending mistake.

Edited by Destino
  • Like 1

The NBA has some ugly alternates, especially around the holiday season, but the NFL trots out some horrid throw backs. All in the name of celebrating tradition, as if that word means anything to owners that will walk out on fan bases the second those fans refuse to pay for a stadium. Must be nice running a business where the most expensive piece of your operating is acquired by threatening your customers.

The browns might have the most objectively god awful uniform in sports but its a perfect example of the kind of boring garbage the NFL celebrates in the name if tradition. It's gone on too long and the league needs some freshness, in my opinion. All of the stuff we praise as traditional was new once, meaning someone had the stones to create something. We don't need to pretend each design is timeless.

But please... blacklist the person that decided calculator font was ideal for the bucs uniform. That should be a career ending mistake.

Hey, I'm right behind you when it comes to distasteful corporate sleaze in the NFL, and you're right, not all uni's are created equal, past or present. 

What I want though, is style and taste. You can blend new school and old school and get the best of both worlds. Thats what I'm getting at. You don't have to wear a uniform that is like watching paint dry, and you don't have to have a uniform that looks like you just came from the Intergalactic Space Confederation.

If I'm going to change something (and thats if its so ugly that its worth changing) then I am going to change it to something that looks good. I'm not going to change to something crazy looking because that is all the rage, or because it is now acceptable to wear the stupidest looking stuff imaginable (I blame hipsters for that), I'm going to change to something that makes you go "Damn, thats some sexy ass ****" the moment you lay eyes on it. It won't take winning the SB or having an immortalized defense for it to be a cool uni, like the Seahawks.

Just about everybody I know damn near went blind when they unveiled those uni's back in '12 and screamed from the high heavens. Now all of a sudden its cool??? Thats like Stockholm Syndrome, only without the chains, blindfolds and dark corridors.

But y'all go ahead and have fun with your Judge Dredd uni fantasies. And say hello to Zordon for me.  :)

Edited by Mr. Sinister
  • Like 1

Did the bills mix in anything that is identifiably modern looking? I bet if you'd just offered up the new jerseys as a throwback 5 years ago 90% of NFL fans would have believed it. I'm not saying every team has to run out of the tunnel in carbon fiber patterns and hyper bright accents but it's no worse than looking like a pair of 70s tube socks.

Here is what I imagine the inspiration was for the bills "new" uniforms.

100540_tubesocks.jpg

Edited by Destino

Did the bills mix in anything new? I bet if you'd just offered it up as a throwback 5 years ago 90% of NFL fans would have believed it.

They added the crazy tapered helmet stripe, but that's the only "modern" thing about the uni.  They even went with the grey facemask. 

Did the bills mix in anything that is identifiably modern looking? I bet if you'd just offered up the new jerseys as a throwback 5 years ago 90% of NFL fans would have believed it. I'm not saying every team has to run out of the tunnel in carbon fiber patterns and hyper bright accents but it's no worse than looking like a pair of 79s tube socks.

Here is what I imagine the inspiration was for the bills "new" uniforms.

100540_tubesocks.jpg

Hey, if it works, it works. When you'r moving on from whatever the hell they were wearing during the '00s, its a welcome change.

Sorry they couldn't add an invisibility cloak.  :lol:

Edited by Mr. Sinister
  • Like 1

Nike sucks. If we ever get new uniforms, I damn sure don't want Nike touching ours. I love new ideas and all...but they have done such a horrible job in the NFL, from the weird neck collars to uniform redesigns.

whatever, they went back to their OJ years for the helmet and updated the uni a little because of the cut for jersey's now. I care nothing for the team but know they look better than the anything I remembered...including their Superbowl runs. Sometimes you look back to find what will look good again.

download+(1).jpg

download.jpg

valeriebertinellirigginsjersey.jpg

Edited by @SkinsGoldPants
  • Like 1

whatever, they went back to their OJ years for the helmet and updated the uni a little because of the cut for jersey's now. I care nothing for the team but know they look better than the anything I remembered...including their Superbowl runs. Sometimes you look back to find what will look good again.

Sometimes would be fine but most of the NFL looks like it would fit right in with flowered wallpaper. This thread reads like an antiquing group stumbled into an apple store. Edited by Destino
  • Like 1

those unis you posted are incredibly boring and bland

I'd actually like to see the "grey" facemask come back to the helmet instead of the "yellow," gold, facemask. I think it works with our colors, sometimes the gunmetal look doesn't go with certain colors.

I like that 70s touch, just one subtle touch.

Edited by Monk4thaHALL

Those tube socks look better than pretty much all new school NFL uniforms.  Sorry, but Seattle / Tampa / Denver / Atlanta / New England / Cincy / etc...all have terrible uniforms.  Just awful.  Having said that, I kinda like Seattle's colors, just not the style of the 'forms.

The pic above of the 70th is closer to what I want the Redskins colors to be.  The gold is a little too dark and shiny, but the Burgundy is spot on.

I'm not anti new school uniforms, for example, I kinda like what Minnesota did, other than the jersey fonts.  They mixed old and new, and for the most part it worked out well.  Buffalo just flat out went old school, and if you think that uniform is worse than what they had before, then there is no hope for you.  Seriously, those things were bad.

You be the judge, this:

spiller.jpeg

=====

Or this:

cj-spiller.jpg

I love the colors of the Spurrier-era throwbacks. I actually loved everything about those uniforms with the exception of all the patches. If you removed all of that (which they would since we wouldn't be celebrating an anniversary), I could easily live with those. The away versions could be a white jersey with dark burgundy pants. 

I love the colors of the Spurrier-era throwbacks. I actually loved everything about those uniforms with the exception of all the patches. If you removed all of that (which they would since we wouldn't be celebrating an anniversary), I could easily live with those. The away versions could be a white jersey with dark burgundy pants. 

This would be a cool white jersey alternate to use:

3e6cdb707bf1de71b9a4041533239980.jpg

No, you guys had me excited for a while talking about modernizing the uniform and now you want to bring back the funk with those boring muddy burgundy and good disasters of the past.

I'm looking forward to seeing the shag carpet and disco ball in the locker room during my next draft day party tour...

:)

I am admittedly all over the map with what I want. I think that's a sign that I just want something different in either direction. The 1970s/80s uniforms should be retired. They will always have their place as the uniforms we wore during our golden age. 

Maybe I'd like to see the a modernized look most of the time with the Spurrier-era throwbacks once or twice per year. I have enough stock footage of the current uniform (including the white over burgundy) that I don't need to see it on the field for a while. 

• Like 1

The only thing of note in those two bills unis are the helmets. The first option and the 70s tube sock inspired "update" are both uninteresting. If you take the helmets out I'm not sure I think the newer ones are better.

The 70s did enough damage to fashion, it's time for their influence in the league to go.

Edited by Destino

I can literally smell the tobacco chew coming from that Sonny pic.

Those colors are way too dull. I don't want to feel depressed every time I look at our jerseys. Being a fan of this team is depressing enough.

I can't imagine what those Blls fans are going through. They lose 4 straight SB's, go on an absurd postseason drought, and with the little bit of life left in them, the team trots out those god awful monstrosities to finish them off.

As for the Browns, at one point, they incorporated orange pants as part of their uni combo. That looked pretty cool. They should modernize that look, to go with the orange helmets.

As for the Bengals, I like everything about their unis but those damn helmets. Wow, your helmet is launching an amphibious assault on all 5 senses with tiger stripes. You go you.

Edited by Mr. Sinister

Browns need someone to go ahead and finish that helmet design that someone left undone a million years ago. Maybe slap a tropicana sponsorship on it, not like it would make any less sense or make it any uglier than their old logo:

Brownie_Logo.gif

Edited by Destino