Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jason Campbell Versus Tampa's Classic Cover 2 Defense

armada58

It's an interesting matchup that Campbell has been dealt for his first start. Sure, Tampa's defense is aging, but they have been a very disciplined and tough defense for many years now. Tampa doesn't do anything crazy pre-snap. They just play a very solid and fundamental cover 2 base defense.

Tampa's Defense will really test the timing that Campbell has with the WR's and the communication between them. They're going to really have to focus this week on finding the holes in the zones and delivering the ball to those holes.

Tampa will also test Campbell's ability to NOT focus on his WR's with his eyes and stare down his primary WR. Their DB's are very good at looking in the backfield and following the QB's eyes.

I would not anticipate that we will get a significant look at Campbell's Deep Passing Skills this week as Tampa's Cover 2 rarely allows WR's to beat them deep. They are very good at keeping things in front of them.

This is also not much of blitzing team. Yes, they will blitz, but are primarily a rush 4 - drop 7 coverage team. Hopefully our O-Line will make a quick adjustment from a Left Handed QB to a Right Handed QB and give Campbell some quilty time to read and throw.

This is a good test for our young franchise QB. I'm looking forward to seeing him in action and watching him grow the rest of the year.

GO 17!!!!!!!

:point2sky :bucsuck: :point2sky

Actually, the Tampa 2 is a good place for Campbell to get his first start. They don't do anything crazy, it's fundamental football. In a first start you don't necessarily want to go against a crazy "show" team. Showing blitzes and using different packages against a QB making his first start is very disrupting, against Tampa he'll pretty much be able to play football without worrying about who's going to blind side him unless our OLine falters.

One more problem though. Simeon Rice vs. Chris Samuels - and J-Cam doesn't get the advantage Brunell had of looking right at them when Rice runs past him.

If Monte Kiffin keeps the blitzing to a minimum, we can give Samuels some help over there. Rice is a problem for any left tackle, even the best.

If Monte Kiffin keeps the blitzing to a minimum, we can give Samuels some help over there.

I'm confused as to why everyone thinks JC will see a vanilla Cover 2 the whole game. First NFL start for the opposing QB, wouldn't you as a DC put heavy and consistent pressure on him all day?? I understand it may be outside of their game, but 17's gonna see plenty of pressure. And Tampa's D is no joke.

Hallelujah tho to the news!

I'm confused as to why everyone thinks JC will see a vanilla Cover 2 the whole game. First NFL start for the opposing QB, wouldn't you as a DC put heavy and consistent pressure on him all day?? I understand it may be outside of their game, but 17's gonna see plenty of pressure. And Tampa's D is no joke.

The plus to that is that takes Tampa out of their gameplan. If I was Tampa I was waiting for Brunell to play and I wouldn't have even bothered blitzing due to the amount of pressure they'd get with the front 4. Now they may wanna blitz Campbell a little more. But that's speculation and hardly something that I can prove.

Tampa has an identity on defense. An identity that they have forged over several years. Of course they will do a couple different things to create some confusion for a first time starter. However, they are not going to scrap what they do best simply because Campbell is the opposing QB. Who's to say that those changes won't be some wild coverages as opposed to sending the house on crazy blitzes??

Tampa is a base Cover 2 Defense and they are not going to change that identity just for Campbell.

Who's to say that those changes won't be some wild coverages as opposed to sending the house on crazy blitzes??

Good point. They could do anything, my point was that Tampa's got to make a few stretches on D, feigning blitzes, disguising blitzes/coverages, etc. If they play straight up against us Sunday i will be very surprised. You've got to think they'll want to throw something in that Campbell has not seen in the game film considering he has never taken a live snap in the NFL, and will be in no way prepared for wild NFL D schemes.

I'm excited to see Samuels finally protecting a quarterbacks blindside...I think he's better than Jansen...

Ronde Barber kinda scares me but I think Campbell can find a nice little niche tearing up intermediate stuff all day if he finds a groove early...which shouldnt be terribly hard to do with our receiver corps...ESPECIALLY (and this is extremely important) if saunders calls more running plays up the middle especially (again) with Duckett softening them up.

Good post. I would feel ALOT more comfortable if we had Portis in the backfield to help take some of the pressure off of Campbell and to help out with blitz protection. (See the knock-out blow to Quarles in the playoff game last year.) However, that isn't going to happen, so I hope we finally utilize Duckett to soften up the middle. Betts and Duckett can be a pretty effective change of pace combo.

Does anyone know how competent of a blocker Duckett is?

Good post. I would feel ALOT more comfortable if we had Portis in the backfield to help take some of the pressure off of Campbell and to help out with blitz protection. (See the knock-out blow to Quarles in the playoff game last year.) However, that isn't going to happen, so I hope we finally utilize Duckett to soften up the middle. Betts and Duckett can be a pretty effective change of pace combo.

Does anyone know how competent of a blocker Duckett is?

Well, Duckett has had to block for Michael Vick. I'm sure that was not a very easy assignment. I don't believe that I've ever heard anyone question his ability to block and pick up blitzes. We will find out, that's for sure.

We know Betts is a decent blocker and Sellers is a beast. I think we'll be OK.

Hopefully, they'll use Duckett as a battering ram and soften up the Def a bit. Make them bring up a safety to help out. Regardless, Campbell is tall enough to see over the middle. A good tight-end can rip apart a cover two. We have one in Cooley. MB was too short to see over the middle though. I'm thinking Cooley will shine the rest of the year.

Moss had a lot of success going deep against tampa in our first meeting last year. I distinctly remember at least 2 deep passes that he grabbed (one of which was called back). Also, watching what Steve Smith did to Tampa last night, we'd be fools not to take more than our fair share of deep shots. Fortunately, I think Campbell will do it.

I think they're going to put a safety into the box until Campbell demonstrates that he can make the correct hot read and throws, and beat them with his arm. Until he shows that, you have to assume if you're Tampa that you're going to get a heavy dose of Duckett and Betts.

Archived