Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFW: The Way We Hear It / Whispers... date- 11-6-06

bubba9497

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+Way+We+Hear+It/Whispers/2006/whispers2118.htm

click link for full article

Washington

It used to be that you didn’t worry about the performances of OTs Chris Samuels and Jon Jansen, who not too long ago could consider themselves as one of the league’s more reliable tandems when healthy. But this year, neither has looked himself. Samuels has not been at his usual peak. Some observers wonder if he ever will be a dominant drive blocker again because he always had been able to use his terrific athleticism to neutralize athletic defenders. Observers also noted that Samuels and ORG Randy Thomas have struggled to handle stunts and twists. And though he’s still technically sound, Samuels appears to have lost a step in ’06. Jansen has committed six penalties this year (four more than all of last season and two short of his career high) and has been, according to an AFC personnel director, “walked back quite a few times that I have seen.” Though neither one has been a true liability, Samuels and Jansen haven’t been the dominant pair that they have in the past.

There’s a growing sentiment around Washington that the poor performance of the Redskins’ defense this season might have cost Gregg Williams a chance to succeed Joe Gibbs as head coach. Williams is the highest-paid assistant in the NFL, and though a lot of the blame can’t be put on his shoulders, he might end up being the one who shoulders the blame.

idle speculation. While I was extremely unhappy with many of the personnel moves...I'll buy into the argument others have made that the defense was playing with one hand tied behind its back due to all the injuries. The D, with the exception of some of Marion barber's running plays, looked a whole lot better yesterday.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+Way+We+Hear+It/Whispers/2006/whispers2118.htm

click link for full article

Washington

It used to be that you didn’t worry about the performances of OTs Chris Samuels and Jon Jansen, who not too long ago could consider themselves as one of the league’s more reliable tandems when healthy. But this year, neither has looked himself. Samuels has not been at his usual peak. Some observers wonder if he ever will be a dominant drive blocker again because he always had been able to use his terrific athleticism to neutralize athletic defenders. Observers also noted that Samuels and ORG Randy Thomas have struggled to handle stunts and twists. And though he’s still technically sound, Samuels appears to have lost a step in ’06. Jansen has committed six penalties this year (four more than all of last season and two short of his career high) and has been, according to an AFC personnel director, “walked back quite a few times that I have seen.” Though neither one has been a true liability, Samuels and Jansen haven’t been the dominant pair that they have in the past.

Sigh,

Unfortunately this is something I began noticing in preseason and it hasn't improved. It's not like they're completely done or anything but, they're supposed to be dominant for us. We can't afford to have 2 tackles that can't handle a speed rush and need help. We aren't getting much push in the ground game and we can't handle speed rushers. I'm not sure if there's anything we can do about it. Both are payed as top 5 guys at their respective positions, neither plays near that anymore and they're both getting older. Some part of me thinks, with Campbell still needing on field development, we should trade them both for as many draft picks as possible and restock the lacking depth in many areas of our team.

You start the blame at the top of the defense, G. Williams. How many holes were in the secondary yesterday? Why was TO matched up w/ a nickleback (Wright)? His scheme is good when he has players comfortable in their role. I haven't seen him get a lot of production out of low draft picks. Also, he needs to get more 3rd down stops. Yesterday, we did have a couple of keys ones.

Coaches always get the blame and in GW's case, rightfully so. He has enough talent to be a top defense. If the D was middle of the pack, I would understand because of all the injuries. But its one of the worst in the leauge right now. We looked a lot better yesterday, but we need to continue to improve. If we can do that, we'll be in good shape.

I still believe that Williams can be a great coach for us, I don't care what anybody says. The play of the defense is not all his fault. How can you throw out the fact that for the past decade his defenses have been in the top 10 in the league. I think the personel issues should be blamed on either our scouts or lack of a GM.

Why was TO matched up w/ a nickleback (Wright)?

I assume you were talking about that 3rd and long where Marshall almost got there on the blitz? Pretty easy: he took a risk blitzing Romo sits to pee, with everyone up on the line, and hoped to rattle him.

Problem is, when you leave Wright that far away from TO, you are pretty much putting up a flashing sign that says "Throw Here!".

I don't blame Wright for that one, since there wasn't much he could do. I blame Williams for that one.

Jason

Samuels is one of those guys that over the years, no matter how well he played, has gotten a negative rep. Samuels is a solid to great tackle. He's not one of the dominant guys but he's been playing consistently well for a long long time.

One thing I have noticed this season more than in the previous years is how much of a liability Brunell is for the guys that have to cover his ass. Our tackles don't really get a chance to establish a rhythm because Brunell is so inconsistent with the way he handles pressure. He rarely ever steps up in the pocket when it's formed and does a terrible job of sensing pressure.

Well GW is the one who's boasted about his schemes the last couple years. No player is above the scheme. Everyone's a starter on defense, blah, blah, blah. It got put to the test this year and he's wrong. You just can't plug anyone in his scheme. They lack talent and depth. How much of that is on GW? I don't know how much say he has on defensive personnel. I would assume he has Gibbs' ear on most everything.

We had better start developing some quality Olineman and cornerbacks...these are the trouble spots as I see it in the next few years. Who do we have to back up the tackles? And who do we have to take the place of Springs when he leaves? Teams aren't afraid to throw on us when Springs and Rodgers are in there right now.

I have never thought that Joe was going to give the HC position to GW, heck he doesn't deserve it. What is happening this year is the same thing that led him to getting the boot in Buffalo.

My question on the OL is how much of this is due to Bugel?

Archived