Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WashPost to publish long piece about what has gone wrong with Skins

Larry Brown #43

I tend to agree. There are a lot of jerks in the media who don't even attempt to hide their hatred for the Skins. I get the sense with LaCanfora that he is responsible, does his homework, and reports his findings, whether its good news or bad news. That's really all you can ask for.

I agree with that. Although, Danny and the Post do have an acrimonial relationship, created when Junior first took over the team. The club probably will dismiss it as the Post creating mess where there is none. In fact, if this piece is as damning as I expect it to be, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Skins respond with a press release of their own. But, that's what we do. We're a marketing organization that plays some football.

I'm looking forward to seeing the piece!

More delicate is the acknowledgment of both the coaching staff and players that, at least offensively, statistics can be misleading. The team is producing similar numbers, but not similar results, as last season. The coaches want to work more closely with Brunell, especially on his dropbacks on passing plays and his reading of defenses. While Brunell is a more accurate passer this year than a year ago, the coaching staff wants to emphasize to him that, in associate head coach Al Saunders's offense, decision-making must be immediate. Brunell's habit of dropping into the pocket, scanning the field and then patting the football has disrupted the timing of the offense, coaches say, and forced him to throw to a safety-valve receiver, most often a running back.

Seriously, why is the coaching staff even wasting time teaching a 36 year old QB the intricacies of drop backs, pocket awareness and read progression? This sounds absolutely ****ing absurd.

You mean, uh, the truth?

Look, we've been told for years now that next year will be better, right? The Skins are always one player (or one coach) away. But they're not. They're mired in mediocrity. Even the major changes (like firing Vinny and hiring a real GM) won't fix anything overnight. And that's the problem: little Danny only looks for overnight solutions. I'd rather start from scratch, right now, and try to build for success five years from now than be sitting in the same damn position five years from now.

Yawn. It's a pile-on, herd mentality, guy. The winds shift, the "experts" shift with it. Six months ago it was mostly warmth and fuzzies. Now, after some hard losses, it's the end of civilization as we know it again.

Feel free to blow with the shifting winds. Just not my style. :)

Yawn. It's a pile-on, herd mentality, guy. The winds shift, the "experts" shift with it. Six months ago it was mostly warmth and fuzzies. Now, after some hard losses, it's the end of civilization as we know it again.

Feel free to blow with the shifting winds. Just not my style. :)

Herd mentality? Seriously, how long has the media been harping on this teams personnel strategy now only to be proven right every single year. At what point will you and others that like to blame the "experts" as biased, acknowledge that our system is broken?

You missed my point, Laurent. The herd bashed the Skins all during the years they were losing. Then, when they started winning, the tone started to change. Suddenly "spending sprees" became "aggressive moves." Predictions of last place finishes became playoff projections. I KNOW you guys saw them.

Now ... some bad injuries, some bad bounces, some bad karma and a little less than the first half of a season later, the bashing is everywhere you look again.

They may ultimately prove RIGHT that the Redskins are a sinking ship destined to never sail again, but they dont' know it right now any better than they knew the SKins were a probable playoff force just a couple of months ago.

That's my point. No one knows what's coming next. Not you, not me, not the "experts." Difference is, some people are utterly unselfconscious about running to the front of any mob---no matter which was its headed---and solemnly tell you how its gonna be, and why.

I hate that.

I think LaCanfora is a good writer and I am interested to see what this article contains and how in depth it will go. I am sure it will follow the current theme of questioning the FO, as that seems to be the topic being recycled by all the local writers. I am just wondering how his article will differ from those released in the past week.

At any rate I am sure Snyder will be less than pleased with the final product.

Nothing new here... results always have and always will speak volumes about the means.

Yes, they will. The variable in play seems to be the length of time different people use to determine those results.

Me, I'm not inclined quite yet to believe that the run at the end of last year was a mirage. To my eye, the struggles to start this year have more to do with injuries, changes to the O, underperfomance at QB, and some seriously bad luck than they do with the utter organizational incompetence the vast majority seem to be screaming about the last few weeks.

If they finish this year relatively healthy and STILL playing poor, disjointed football, I'll be more concerned about the long term. I've just seen too many "dramatic turnarounds" to write off a guy like Joe Gibbs after 7 ugly weeks. Not after what we all saw last year. Some think in retrospect it was a fluke. I don't.

We'll see.

Yes, they will. The variable in play seems to be the length of time different people use to determine those results.

Me, I'm not inclined quite yet to believe that the run at the end of last year was a mirage. To my eye, the struggles to start this year have more to do with injuries, changes to the O, underperfomance at QB, and some seriously bad luck than they do with the utter organizational incompetence the vast majority seem to be screaming about the last few weeks.

If they finish this year relatively healthy and STILL playing poor, disjointed football, I'll be more concerned about the long term. I've just seen too many "dramatic turnarounds" to write off a guy like Joe Gibbs after 7 ugly weeks. Not after what we all saw last year. Some think in retrospect it was a fluke. I don't.

We'll see.

Oh god. I can feel it now. Skins miracle run starts in Philadelphia with huge win at the Linc. Gibbs wins 4th Super Bowl. ****.

<sarcasm> the anticipation is killing me </sarcasm>

Guess what? He is 100% correct. We have major pains around here -- its going to get worse before it gets better. We have few draft picks, little salary cap space, and not many young players to develop talent.

We had 3 year plan 4 years ago -- and now we are going to suffer for awhile......

Things can turn around very fast in the NFL, no matter how bleak the situation may look. Exhibit A -- the Saints this year.

That said, I'm looking forward to this article. Since Snyder bought the team, the skins have had two good years in ten. How do you spin that?

When things have gone wrong for this long despite throwing tens and possible hundreds of millions of dollars at players and coaches, questions need to be asked. Why can every other team do better, usually with less, but us? The lowly jets are probably playing better than us with a nobody coach and a quarterback without much of an arm.

Its easy to call it herd mentality and piling on. But its harder to actually read what he has to say objectively, and honestly make a determination whether he is right or wrong in his assessment of this team we're obsessed with--regardless of whether he works for the post or not. To choose not to is to be in denial.

Its easy to call it herd mentality and piling on. But its harder to actually read what he has to say objectively, and honestly make a determination whether he is right or wrong in his assessment of this team we're obsessed with--regardless of whether he works for the post or not. To choose not to is to be in denial.

Excellent post!:applause: :applause: What herd mentality is being referred too here? Is it the herd that follows the mods around like puppy dogs and have nothing to say until someone says something for them?:whoknows:

Things can turn around very fast in the NFL, no matter how bleak the situation may look. Exhibit A -- the Saints this year.

Yeah, and they added a new coach and a new quarterback. It's not like they turned it around with a 37 year old super-smart quarterback who couldn't start for any team in the nfl other than washington.

Archived