Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Assessing the damage

ThomasRoane

Great article by Howard Bryant. Here's the link.

While Brunell is a more accurate passer this year than a year ago, the coaching staff wants to emphasize to him that, in associate head coach Al Saunders's offense, decision-making must be immediate. Brunell's habit of dropping into the pocket, scanning the field and then patting the football has disrupted the timing of the offense, coaches say, and forced him to throw to a safety-valve receiver, most often a running back.

The way MB slaps the ball drives me nuts. It's like saying "here comes the ball!" I'm glad they realize that MB has some issues to fix.

I liked this quote:

For the first time in his young career, quarterback Jason Campbell took all the snaps with the first team on consecutive days. The move could be significant, a sign that the Redskins acknowledge that the disastrous events of the first seven games have accelerated their timetable for getting Campbell prepared to play

interesting..i had noticed that brunnell taps the ball a lot, it never clicked that it was screwing up the offensive timinng but that makes a ton of sense! Plus, it probably signals the defenders where he is wanting to go. it will be interesting to pay attention to that next game

I found this quote quite telling.

More delicate is the acknowledgment of both the coaching staff and players that, at least offensively, statistics can be misleading. The team is producing similar numbers, but not similar results, as last season.

Those of you that trot out the numbers to say "See, it's not Brunell. Scott is actually performing" are wrong, wrong, wrong. True, Brunell isn't the only problem but he's one of the problems. We've got to see if we've got the potential solution to one of these problems riding the pine wearing #17.

Too many times, the Redskins have given up a big play or a score and have not responded positively. They've allowed the action to be taken to them instead of forcing it.

Worse has been the backbreaking nature of opposing teams' scoring drives in all five losses. Leading 13-9 against Minnesota on Sept. 11, the Redskins yielded an eight-play, 56-yard touchdown drive on the Vikings' first second-half possession. Brunell was intercepted near the goal line against Dallas a week later, and the Cowboys responded with a 99-yard touchdown drive to break open the game. On Oct. 8, the Giants broke open a 9-3 game with a bruising, 15-play touchdown drive to open the second half of what would become a 19-3 New York win.

On the first drive of the second half against Tennessee the following week, the Redskins, leading 14-13, punted after failing to get a first down on three plays, and the Titans immediately engineered a 10-play, 74-yard touchdown drive. And Sunday in Indianapolis, the Redskins led 14-13 at halftime but gave up touchdowns on each of the Colts' first three second-half possessions.

The Giants did not punt in the first half against the Redskins, and the Colts did not punt in the second half on Sunday.

Over 16 regular season games in 2005, the Redskins yielded only one touchdown on an opening drive and produced three interceptions. It was the kind of the statistic that energized both assistant head coach-defense Gregg Williams and his players going into this season. It underscored that they believed the personality of the team was defensive in nature, capable of changing the tenor of a game even when the offense wasn't on the field.

This season, the defense has been bullied. In 16 games last season, the Redskins gave up 52 drives that resulted in points. Only 11 of those drives lasted 10 plays or more. This season, after only seven games, the defense has given up 34 scoring drives, 13 of them lasting 10 plays or more.

that explains 2-5 more than anything else

that explains 2-5 more than anything else

This article is great, it points out offensive and defensive concerns.

It also hints at how to fix some of the offensive concerns with one personell change. That's not possible on the defensive side of the ball at this point in the season.

In other words, you should at least fix what you can

I found this quote quite telling.

Those of you that trot out the numbers to say "See, it's not Brunell. Scott is actually performing" are wrong, wrong, wrong. True, Brunell isn't the only problem but he's one of the problems. We've got to see if we've got the potential solution to one of these problems riding the pine wearing #17.

Can Brunell improve, sure but you could have Joe Montana in his prime it still won't solve the main problem, the defense

lets see a QB ranked in the top 10 in most catagories vs a defense ranked in the bottom five in most catagories,..... which is the bigger issue?

This article is great, it points out offensive and defensive concerns.

It also hints at how to fix some of the offensive concerns with one personell change. That's not possible on the defensive side of the ball at this point in the season.

In other words, you should at least fix what you can

it does? I didn't read that anywhere, anyone thinking JC will come in and play better right away is sadly mistaken.

.. if Brunell could use some other count than "3-40 .. 3-40," that'd be great, mmmkay?

I swear .. Brunell has used that exact snap count every play for the past three seasons! I understand that the cadence is different from play to play (although it usually seems to be on two), but still, it seems that changing it at least every game would help.

it does? I didn't read that anywhere, anyone thinking JC will come in and play better right away is sadly mistaken.

Yeah, I mean it goes from explaining how Brunell is a problem for the offense, and then segues into stating that Campbell is taking all the first team snaps. It's...pretty much the first half of the article. So I don't know how you didn't read that anywhere, but you quoted everything in the article that wasn't about replacing the quarterback.

Edit: Sorry that comes off a bit more harsh than I meant it to

Great article by Howard Bryant. Here's the link.

The way MB slaps the ball drives me nuts. It's like saying "here comes the ball!" I'm glad they realize that MB has some issues to fix.

The question is .. can Brunell make those "immediate" decisions that the article claims that are necessary in Saunders' offense? Then, can Jason Campbell?

I think the main argument is "could he really be much worse?". Most of what Brunell has done so far has been the dinking and dunking that a high school QB could do. Sure, he has a good QB rating and pass %...but so what? He simply isn't a downfield threat and other teams know that now and have adjusted. Having a high QB rating when throwing 3 yard screens all over the place doesn't mean that much. That is like saying a RB who has 100 carries in two games with no fumbles is amazing even if he is only getting one yard per carry. What Brunell is doing right now Campbell could do plus at least add the possibility of a downfield threat...it isn't like our receivers aren't getting open. Sure, Brunell hasn't had many interceptions...but the same thing applies. Thats because he hardly ever takes chances with the vertical game. This would be fine if it was working consistently, but obviously it isn't. Might as well at least give Campbell a chance and let him get off the pine for a change.

:2cents:

If we started campbell he would at least have to adhere to the offensive shceme and disciplines. He hasn't done anything to earn the right to play outside of this system so I think he would actually play within the system and try to maintain the timing of the offense that Saunders has tried to instill from day one. Brunell has done many great things in ihs career to earn a lot of leway to play basically however he wants in the QB position. But at this point it really is hurting us as he is not sticking with the system and doesn't seem to be making any attempt to fit into the system.

Can Brunell improve, sure but you could have Joe Montana in his prime it still won't solve the main problem, the defense

lets see a QB ranked in the top 10 in most catagories vs a defense ranked in the bottom five in most catagories,..... which is the bigger issue?

....which top 10 are you referring to? The top 10 in dumpoffs? Top 10 in throwing away opportunities. How about being top 10 in fighting our guts out and being super smart?

Our passing game is actually ranked #20. Last time I checked, 20th is much lower than 10th Bubba. ;)

Archived