Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Defense was not to blame

TC

What??? The Defense wasn't to blame? This has to be the most illogical take I've seen on yesterday's game by far.

I know the offense is the easiest unit to blame b/c they only put up 3 points, but to say that the defense wasn't to blame for this loss is shortsighted and just plain wrong.

YES THE DEFENSE IS NOT TO BLAME!!!!!!!!!!!3 POINTS BY THE G#$$%^N OFFENSE!!!!!!! 3 POINTS!!!! WHY ARE YOU PEOPLE SE F5^^&&&&N STUPID???? do you think Chicago fans would have been concerned about 19 points when their Offense scored 40???? You can't keep ANY D on the field that long. 3 POINTS WILL NOT WIN A GAME !! STFU about the D and look at the pathetic offense that scored 3 POINTS!!!!!!THREE POINTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

good point. my idea was that when it wanted/needd to....the Jax offense moved the ball on our defense at will.

Agreed. The Jags made some great plays through the air on us. The Giants did whatever they wanted whenever they wanted. The only thing the defense can be happy about yesterday was holding them to field goals. Thank Shockey for one of these though because there was no way Taylor would've made it there in time to stop Toomer from scoring.

Couldn't possibly disagree with the thread starter more. We, as per our usual, made Tiki look like a star. He would gain five yards before even being touched. Almost every drive by the Giants was a long one. The offense is not free from blame, but to say that it is MORE the offense than defense's fault is just plain wrong.

"YES THE DEFENSE IS NOT TO BLAME!!!!!!!!!!!3 POINTS BY THE G#$$%^N OFFENSE!!!!!!! 3 POINTS!!!! WHY ARE YOU PEOPLE SE F5^^&&&&N STUPID???? do you think Chicago fans would have been concerned about 19 points when their Offense scored 40???? You can't keep ANY D on the field that long. 3 POINTS WILL NOT WIN A GAME !! STFU about the D and look at the pathetic offense that scored 3 POINTS!!!!!!THREE POINTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

temper...temper!

the defense looked bad the whole game...even before the Gints scored.

YES THE DEFENSE IS NOT TO BLAME!!!!!!!!!!!3 POINTS BY THE G#$$%^N OFFENSE!!!!!!! 3 POINTS!!!! WHY ARE YOU PEOPLE SE F5^^&&&&N STUPID???? do you think Chicago fans would have been concerned about 19 points when their Offense scored 40???? You can't keep ANY D on the field that long. 3 POINTS WILL NOT WIN A GAME !! STFU about the D and look at the pathetic offense that scored 3 POINTS!!!!!!THREE POINTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

could you be alittle more intense? :doh:

This is by far, the WORST defense the Skins have had since Spurrier's last year! It reminds me of 2000, when we had all of those high priced free agents (Deion, Mark Carrier, Bruce Smith, etc), but they couldn't stop anybody.

This defense is terrible - MW is a great player, as is ST, but other than that, the rest of the defense, especially the line and the linebackers, are getting crushed. The cornerback play is awful, and AA at safety can't seem to cover anyone. We are in trouble. The Management gambled by not keeping Ryan Clark that Preileau could fill in at coverage safety. Well that all went out the window when he got hurt on the first kickoff off the season. We basically quit on Clark to sign a slightly better Matt Bowen type player. This was very stupid management decision and I believe it hurt the continuity of the defense. Then Shawn Springs got hurt and we are stuck with Kenny Wright starting every game. Walt Harris was even much better than he is. We should have kept him! It seems like every management decision we made this offseason in regards to the defense was a bad one.

The offense is up and down but would be fine if the defense could force a punt every once in a while. I honestly think we were in the game yesterday until that morale-destroying TD drive to open up the 3rd qtr. Who's to blame for that? Why the defense of course.

whoever says the offense wasn't to blame watched a different game last night. The O-Line sucked, Brunell sucked, and in general the O sucked.

The D gave up 411 yards but ONLY 19 points. If we had gone on the 4th and 1, got the 1st down and maybe got a TD, this would have booted the D to stop them the next time around, thus making the score 16-10 instead of 16-3 and no hope at all because the O can't score.

Yeah teh D gave up big plays and whatnot but THEY held the Gaints to 19 points. We EASILY should have scored more then 19+ and got the win, but we didn't. Don't blame that on the D.

Also for people saying the D never got off the field, well the O didn't help either. What was it, 3 for 11 3rd down conversions...what happened after that? A punt, and BAM the D is on the field...

The O casued the loss yesterday, whoever doesn't see that is frikin blind.

Hate to point it out to you, for fear of being type shouted at, but the D stunk up the joint yesterday. Is the offense to blame for giving up first down after first down on third and longs? Bench Brunell because ST and Carlos couldn't cover a bed yesterday right. The D is no where near the unit that took the NFL by storm in 04. The writing was on the wall last year when we finished 9th overall in D, a six spot drop, and at the pace of things we are looking at another six spot drop.

So yes there is visible evidence for people to question the D, not only the players but the coaching, our D has not once been properly prepared for any game, and if they have then we have no ballers on the D except Marcus and Sean, a bad scenerio which ever way you look at it.

"We're all together here", as coach Gibbs says. Both the offense and the defense played badly. The offense couln't stay on the field, and the D couldn't get off the field. Both sucked. But despite all the negatives on the defensive side - and as noted, there were quite a few - they DID hold the Giants to 19 points. That should be good enough....teams win ugly every week. The offense just didn't do anything. The O-line played with an attitude and dominated last week to lead the team to victory....they basically didn't show up this week. No protection in the passing game, no push in the running game. The Giants D dictated to the offense, not the the other way around like it should be.

The only part that wasn't horrible was special teams, which still was average at best.

We sucked in all aspects of the game. It seemed to me to be a loss of attitude on our part. But stop saying that we held them to 19 points. That doesn't matter! The issue with the D is the inability to let our O touch the ball and our O's inability to move it.

Tell me one thing, WHY IN THE HECK DID GW KEEP LINING MARCUS UP ON THE LINE OF SCRIMAGE? Every play he would be by the DE and every play the Giants would run away from him and not even need block him. He was already out of the play! I understand we are trying to blitz, but they were obviously beating us with this line up, so I don't understand why we continued to do it. No in game adjustments.

WE GOT OUTCOACHED AND OUTPLAYED!!

We should be ashamed with our play all around. Consistant teams are who wins divisions and SBs. :2cents:

Sure the offense struggled but who wasn't putting pressure on the QB?? Who was letting Tikki run wild with arm tackles and not being in their gaps?? Who was giving almost 15 yard buffers to the recievers and than not covering them on the long routes?? It wasn't the offense!!! Listen, if you cannot give the ball to the Offense, than it isn't the offenses fault you lost. Sure everyone on the team played horrible, but the D was by far the worst performers on sunday.

From another thread........

With the score at 6-3, we pinned the Giants at the two yard line w/ over 4 minutes left in the half. The ate up the ENTIRE clock, and kicked a FG.

Then, the got the ball to start the second half, ate up HALF the quarter and scored a TD.

So, the score went from 6-3 to 16-3 w/o our offense ever TOUCHING the ball one time. In the process, the Giants ate up around 13:00 minutes of clock. That was your game right there. If the D forces a punt deep in the territory there, it could have been a different game.

C'mon now and tell me again how the defense wasn't to blame.......

Although it was only 19 points.....the real score could have been worse. They should have had 27-31...but we held them to field goals. The defense couldn't get our offense back on the field....

Yep. - One of those scoring drives started on their own 2. - The defense allowed drives of 15, 14, 10, 9, and 8 play drives, among others.

This keeps the offense of the field, and therefore forces the offense to change their game plan due to a lack of time.

The defense, along with horrible O-line play is what lost us this game.

Give me a break. Our defense, the secondary in particular, got torched and exposed yesterday. They let the Giants put together long, long drives that eventually contributed to them getting worn down. At one point I was thinking, "is our offense going to get on the field."

On another note, why in the world were we not blitzing more? I understand that he needed the extra support in the secondary but a little pressure would have alleviated some of that. I will say this, the team that played yesterday was not the same team against Jacksonville. We need some corners badly. :doh:

So, I guess what you're saying is...

3/11 on third down conversions and 110 yards passing = coming along

Season low in yardage = coming along

Longest play: 17 yards = coming along

How does scoring 3 points show progress? Because they're all putting in such "hard work"?

no giving up 9 of 16 3rd downs (including several more than 7 yards), Time Of Pos. 34:47, if you don't have the ball it's hard to score.

Our defense held them on several drives to field goals. So they actually kept us in the game, it could have been a lot worse. All we had to do was score 20 on the Giants.

Our offense is definitely more to blame for this loss. No doubt. They brought nothing.

I'm gonna just keep posting this until it sinks in.......

With the score at 6-3, we pinned the Giants at the two yard line w/ over 4 minutes left in the half. The ate up the ENTIRE clock, and kicked a FG.

Then, the got the ball to start the second half, ate up HALF the quarter and scored a TD.

So, the score went from 6-3 to 16-3 w/o our offense ever TOUCHING the ball one time. In the process, the Giants ate up around 13:00 minutes of clock. That was your game right there. If the D forces a punt deep in the territory there, it could have been a different game.

The defense is killing us. I remember when I looked forward to the other teams getting in a 3rd and long situation. Now? Anything over 7 yards feels me with utter dred. It's a bad sign.

Exactly. 3rd and long means passing... and it means our corners actually have to defend the pass. Ugh.

Ever since they gave up a 20+ play drive to the Jets in Preseason this defense has been god awful. I guess trading away( or releasing a true redskin) 2 cover corner in bailey and smoot is coming back to sting us in the Ass . I wonder what cornerback will be in Free Agency next year?

I honestly think the defense did their job. They didn't do a good job, but they did their job. Holding the G-men to mostly field goals is a good thing. They did their job. Our offense couldn't produce worth a *****. If they did their job and moved the chains to help keep the defense off the field, it might have been a better day for everyone.

The giants only punted twice. We didn't have any take-a-ways.

If you think the offense is more to blame than thne defense, you just didn't watch the game. If you just look at the score it is easy to say we should have won with a better offense. Even if it was 17-16. If you watched the game (and paid attention), it would be obvious that the D couldn't get off the field. That was the difference.

From another thread........

You can go ahead and keep posting this, and I agree that the defense deserves much of the blame and needs work.....But.....If the offense would have driven down the field and scored after that, it would have made it a manageable 16-10 lead, and maybe we could have gained some momentum for the defense to step it up. But they couldn't.

Archived