Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pet peeve about "Hail to the Redskins" at the Games...

mcarey032

(FYI- I'm in the Redskins band)

We do a short version after field goals and a longer version after touchdowns. If it were a game clinching field goal, rest assured we'd do the long version. With Saunders' offense clicking now, be prepared to sing the long version.

It's the same now as it has always been. Sorry you remember something different. Hang on to that. :)

I wish I knew how to get into the band (I'm a percussionist/drummer) -- is that free admission to every home game? Do you actually rehearse at some point?

I went to the monday night game against the Vikings and I believe that my brother summed it up best (regarding "The Funky Four"):

"Who the **** cares about the Funky ****ing Four."

(At this point he was really pissed off at how we were doing in the game)

:laugh:

they were cool in 1999!

although this weekend they seemed to get more cheers than usual...definitely need to change things up or just stop though

EVERYTHING got more cheers at that game. They could've come out and sneezed into a microphone and we would've been screaming our heads off. The game was just THAT good!

For the record: I HATE that bunch. They're so pointless.

I went to the monday night game against the Vikings and I believe that my brother summed it up best (regarding "The Funky Four"):

"Who the **** cares about the Funky ****ing Four."

:laugh:

During a Spurrier game (a loss :mad: ), I once said to a friend I brought to the game, "If you think the Funky Four was bad, wait till you see the $hitty Eleven."

For the record: I HATE that bunch. They're so pointless.

RELAX guys...It could be worse. You could go to VT, we do the Hokie Pokie in between the 3rd and 4th. :jerk:

You can't mess with HTTR. I got pumped singing the few times I got to go to games, and I get pumped when I hear it on TV.

BTW, NOTHING pisses off an Iggles/Giants/Cowgirls fan more when you're hammered in a bar and start singing it with about 15 other 'Skins fans.

Are we all sure it's Rah Rah Rah? I like the other user always screamed Fight Fight Fight...I really am confused now.

It is "Rah RAh Rah".....But I think "Fight Fight Fight!" is waaayyy better so that's what I sing.

Here are the other changes I would make:

"Beat um ..Swamp um....Touchdown...let the points soar.."

toooo

"Beat um...Scalp um...Touchdown...let the points soar..."

And

On the line "son's of washington" I think the timing is wrong. two 1/16th notes...two 1/2 notes than another 1/16th note? the words just don't match the music. It forces you to say "son's of" too quickly. Where as if it was all 1/4 notes it would sound smoother and also give it more of a college fight song appeal. For those of you who don't know music it would look like this: "Son's-of-wash-ing-ton....." where each sylabal has equal time in the phrase. "...Fight!..Fight!...Fight!.." is of course the last change I would make.

I still sing it in whatever sports bar I watch the game at. Just this past weekend, my brother, another random Redskins fan, and I all sang it as loud as we could everytime we scored.

That is hilarious :laugh:.

(FYI- I'm in the Redskins band)

I really hope you reply to my Ideas about changes...what do you think? Is it even a possibility?

Rah! Rah! Rah!?!

I always yelled "Fight! Fight! Fight!"

Me to..."RAh Rah Rah" just sounds tooo 1920's to me.

Blasphemy!

Hail to the RedSKIIIIIINS!

Hail Victory!

Braves on the WarPAAAAAATH

FIGHT FOR OLD DCCCCC!!

Run or pass and score -- we want a lot more!

Beat 'em, Swamp 'em,

Touchdown! -- Let the points soar!

FIGHT on, FIGHT on 'Til you have won

Sons of Wash-ing-ton. RAH RAH RAH!!

Hail to the RedSKIIIIIINS!

Hail Victory!

Braves on the WarPAAAAATH!!!

FIGHT FOR OL DC!!!!!!

Edited for proper annunciation

It is "Rah RAh Rah".....But I think "Fight Fight Fight!" is waaayyy better so that's what I sing.

Here are the other changes I would make:

"Beat um ..Swamp um....Touchdown...let the points soar.."

toooo

"Beat um...Scalp um...Touchdown...let the points soar..."

And

On the line "son's of washington" I think the timing is wrong. two 1/16th notes...two 1/2 notes than another 1/16th note? the words just don't match the music. It forces you to say "son's of" too quickly. Where as if it was all 1/4 notes it would sound smoother and also give it more of a college fight song appeal. For those of you who don't know music it would look like this: "Son's-of-wash-ing-ton....." where each sylabal has equal time in the phrase. "...Fight!..Fight!...Fight!.." is of course the last change I would make.

That is hilarious :laugh:.

I really hope you reply to my Ideas about changes...what do you think? Is it even a possibility?

Me to..."RAh Rah Rah" just sounds tooo 1920's to me.

Would you prefer Sis Boom Bah?

*Warning- band geek discussion follows*

I think I understand what you're saying, but your note values are a little off. First, the time of the song is roughly 120 beats per minute. The first bar consists of "Hail to the". That being said, "sons of" are actually 1/8 notes immediatly preceding the last 2 bars of the bridge, with 'wash-ing' being two 1/2 notes and 'ton' being a whole note. In order to give all of those syllables equal value, you'd have to shorten something up before that.

Of course, the song is copyrighted and nothing will ever be changed. It's still interesting to talk about though.

I hate the Funky Four now. It's gotten pretty embarrassing.

The Funky Four seem good natured enough. Let it ride. I think they've had the misfortune of bad, bad timing in a LOT of games recently, where they're pre-scheduled to come out jsut as something really bad or demoralizing happens to the 'Skins. So just as everybody's pissed off here come the Funky Four right on cue.

Jax was different though. The stadium vibe was good when they came out, and they got a better-than-usual reception.

*Warning- band geek discussion follows*

I think I understand what you're saying, but your note values are a little off. First, the time of the song is roughly 120 beats per minute. The first bar consists of "Hail to the". That being said, "sons of" are actually 1/8 notes immediatly preceding the last 2 bars of the bridge, with 'wash-ing' being two 1/2 notes and 'ton' being a whole note. In order to give all of those syllables equal value, you'd have to shorten something up before that.

Of course, the song is copyrighted and nothing will ever be changed. It's still interesting to talk about though.

Thank you so much for the reply. I was in band years ago (trumpet) and even then I was never a good site reader and time signatures were my weakest point.....but I had a great ear and I could play most anything if I heard it first then looked at the notes.

Point is please forgive my timing mistakes: but here goes.

If you make the phrase "Son's-of-wash-ing-ton" all 1/4 notes that would be a total of 5 beats (assuming that 1/4 = 1 beat).

In your sceniero the total beats is 6. so where does the extra beat go....?

It goes before the phrase "Son's-of-wash-ing-ton" either as a rest or by extending the note on "Won". Then it fits.

Can you hear it in your head now? Say both lines in your head with the time changes and I think you'll be able to hear what I'm talking about.

Fight on...fight on..til you have won.....(rest)

son's (1/4 note) of (1/4 note) wash (1/4 note) ing (1/4 note) ton(1/4 note)....Fight...Fight....Fight...

I don't see why you couldn't make these continuity changes. I might be copyrighted but since the Redskins Orgnazation owns the rights ...and you are the official Redskins band.....get my meaning?

Me too :applause:

:doh: it's "rah rah rah"

according to wiki, these were the original lyrics.

Hail to the Redskins

Hail Vic-tor-y

Braves on the Warpath

Fight for old Dixie

Run or pass and score -- we want a lot more!

Scalp 'em, swamp 'em -- We will take 'em big score

Read 'em, weep 'em, touchdown - we want heap more

Fight on, Fight on -- 'Till you have won

Sons of Wash-ing-ton. Rah!, Rah!, Rah

Hail to the Redskins

Hail Vic-tor-y

Braves on the Warpath

Fight for old Dixie

Archived