Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Importance of The Giants Game

armada58

I know, it's Tuesday and the Remote is still warm from hitting the 'rewind' button to watch the big play in OT. I loved almost everything about the big win against Jacksonville. It certainly guarantees that I'll to be in a good mood for the week. But, the time has come to start looking forward. In 5 days we play The Giants and the importance of this coming game is starting to outshine our 2 game winning streak. There are some huge ramifications for The Skins in this game........ :2cents:

Division Rivalry.....

This goes without saying. You have to beat your division opponents. It's critical. So unlike Kornheiser & Theisman :doh: , I will spare you an excrutiatingly long and painful analysis that points out the ridiculously obvious about needing to beat The Giants straight up. ("I spoke with Greg Williams, The Defensive Coordinator of The Washington Redskins, yesterday and he told me that what The Washington Defense needs to do is stop the run, pressure the QB and keep The Giants out of the end zone.") Where, when, under what circumstances, etc....... it doesn't matter. Gotta beat The Giants. Always. Plain and simple.

Our Current Division Standing.....

This is big. Regardless of what happens in the Cowgirls/Schmeagles game, a win on Sunday will put us in 2nd place in the division with a 1-1 division record and with 3 home division games yet to play. A loss will put us in dead last and in 0-2 division hole with only 4 games left to pull out of that hole. We can ill afford to be in that position. We don't want to have to win 4 straight division games in order to be above .500 in the division. The Giants will still have that win in Philly in their back pocket even if they lose. It's critical we win here to help keep us in the picture when it comes to the division. Not to mention that we have 3 division games in our next 5 games, 2 of which are on the road.

2-3 versus 3-2......

Some may look at that and shrug it off. Hey, it's only a one game difference after all. But, when you look at in the context of our remaining opponenets heading into our bye week, it is important. We have Tennessee and Indianapolis after the Giants. We don't want to be in a hole having to get healthy against a weak opponent (Tennessee) with a tough opponent right afterwards (Indy). This worked out well with Houston and Jacksonville. We pulled off a 2-0 streak, but we don't want to have to do it again. What we want is a 3-2 record and confidence oozing from all pores heading into Tennessee. And don't even think about Tennessee being a "Trap Game". Joe Gibbs will never let that happen. I'll call it right now, if we head into Indy at 4-2, we will beat Indy.

Confidence.......

Man, a win in New Yawk would be beyond HUGE. It will send a significant statement about this team to the rest of the league. It will completely erase the first 2 weeks. (Sorry, they are not erased yet) We can look at Houston, Jax and The Giants games and say, "That's the real Redskins! Look out NFL!"

A lot hinges on this game. Probably more than I even talked about. It's a hugely important game. I know that NONE of this is lost on Sir Gibbs. Lets put The Giants in our rear view mirror. I'm pumped for Sunday.

:point2sky :gaintsuck :point2sky

(if you think I did pull a Kornheiser/Theisman and just wasted your time pointing out the obvious, my apologies. At least I didn't ignore everything and interview Jamie Foxx for a 1/2 hour.)

Amen. This game is big. Real big. The Giants have looked inconsistent so far but you can never count them out.

I think the biggest thing to consider here is the division record. Like you said, if we lose we are only 2-3 overall but we are 0-2 in our division which is not an easy hole to escape. This game is a must win. If we pull this off, then we have some breathing room as far as our division is concerned...and we desperately need that.

So here's to another high-powered offensive showing and to our D stepping up and shutting out another good running team.

:cheers: :gaintsuck

I know, it's Tuesday and the Remote is still warm from hitting the 'rewind' button to watch the big play in OT. I loved almost everything about the big win against Jacksonville. It certainly guarantees that I'll to be in a good mood for the week. But, the time has come to start looking forward. In 5 days we play The Giants and the importance of this coming game is starting to outshine our 2 game winning streak. There are some huge ramifications for The Skins in this game........ :2cents:

Division Rivalry.....

This goes without saying. You have to beat your division opponents. It's critical. So unlike Kornheiser & Theisman :doh: , I will spare you an excrutiatingly long and painful analysis that points out the ridiculously obvious about needing to beat The Giants straight up. ("I spoke with Greg Williams, The Defensive Coordinator of The Washington Redskins, yesterday and he told me that what The Washington Defense needs to do is stop the run, pressure the QB and keep The Giants out of the end zone.") Where, when, under what circumstances, etc....... it doesn't matter. Gotta beat The Giants. Always. Plain and simple.

This is big. Regardless of what happens in the Cowgirls/Schmeagles game, a win on Sunday will put us in 2nd place in the division with a 1-1 division record and with 3 home division games yet to play. A loss will put us in dead last and in 0-2 division hole with only 4 games left to pull out of that hole. We can ill afford to be in that position. We don't want to have to win 4 straight division games in order to be above .500 in the division. The Giants will still have that win in Philly in their back pocket even if they lose. It's critical we win here to help keep us in the picture when it comes to the division. Not to mention that we have 3 division games in our next 5 games, 2 of which are on the road.

2-3 versus 3-2......

Some may look at that and shrug it off. Hey, it's only a one game difference after all. But, when you look at in the context of our remaining opponenets heading into our bye week, it is important. We have Tennessee and Indianapolis after the Giants. We don't want to be in a hole having to get healthy against a weak opponent (Tennessee) with a tough opponent right afterwards (Indy). This worked out well with Houston and Jacksonville. We pulled off a 2-0 streak, but we don't want to have to do it again. What we want is a 3-2 record and confidence oozing from all pores heading into Tennessee. And don't even think about Tennessee being a "Trap Game". Joe Gibbs will never let that happen. I'll call it right now, if we head into Indy at 4-2, we will beat Indy.

Confidence.......

Man, a win in New Yawk would be beyond HUGE. It will send a significant statement about this team to the rest of the league. It will completely erase the first 2 weeks. (Sorry, they are not erased yet) We can look at Houston, Jax and The Giants games and say, "That's the real Redskins! Look out NFL!"

A lot hinges on this game. Probably more than I even talked about. It's a hugely important game. I know that NONE of this is lost on Sir Gibbs. Lets put The Giants in our rear view mirror. I'm pumped for Sunday.

(if you think I did pull a Kornheiser/Theisman and just wasted your time pointing out the obvious, my apologies. At least I didn't ignore everything and interview Jamie Foxx for a 1/2 hour.)

Well said my friend. I am not looking past this game at all. It would be absolutely huge if we can take the W. I mean last year we could not have asked for a better dvision record. 5-1 was almost perfect. We need some NFC victories bad and we need a NFCE victory the most.

Do we have to win this game to have a chance to go to the Superbowl?

Before dismissing this game as not being a must win in order to go to the Superbowl, consider this:

Joe Gibbs has gone to the Superbowl 4 years.

Joe Gibbs has swept the Giants only 4 times.

In about 14 years of coaching, it amazes me that the 4 times he swept the Giants are the same 4 years he went to the Superbowl.

How big is this game? History shows that it is huge for Gibbs Redskins.

This is very big game for us. Being a conference/division game and the fact that both teams have started slowly and we dont do all that well up there. Both teams have alot to fight for. I do think that Jax is a better team than NY though, so that should give us some confedence, that if we really show up, we can win this game. I think the 1st 2 weeks told us that if we dont, we get beat. Gibbs wont let them forget the preseason or the 1st 2 games here.

I dont think this game is "the Season" by any means. We have shown in the past that being under .500 doesnt mean the season is over. The only times its "the Season" is when your chances of advancing to the playoffs or staying alive are on the line. Last year the last 5 games were all...."its for the Season" each and every week.

We lose this game and we're 2-3....not the end of the world. Going into the Jax game I thought to myself we NEED to win either the Jax game or the Giants game or then we'd be in deep do-do. And by the way we performed in Weeks 1 & 2 I didnt think we'd beat BOTH the Jags and Giants.

But if we hit the 2-3 mark we come home to play the Titans and we SHOULD win that game and be back to .500. A tough game in INDY (probably a loss) and then a bye week will put us at 3-4 and still in position to play all of our divisional rivals at home (and we get philly at philly). We will get the Bucs in TB, the Saints in N.O. along with the Rams in STL. Those 3 road games are by no means imposing. (I think the saints will come back down to the pack in the next 4 games). Not to mention the Panthers and ATL at home....I like the way things are laid out.

It would be really tough to be 0-2 in the division and 0-3 in the NFC. I think this game coming up really is a must win. With the way the standings are going to end up with all is said and done there will be A LOT of teams with identical records. I don't want my skins to be left out of the party because we lose tie-breakers with other teams with better conference records.

This game is SO important.

It's a big game. Not the most important, but when you play only 16 games as opposed to 82 (NHL & NBA) or 162 (MLB) they are all important. Last week was actually more important. Being 1-3 would make this game bigger, but at 2-2 we are sitting a little better. We are still in good shape for a playoff spot if we lose, but it will be a division loss, which will be harder to overcome.

I agree with everything your post says. We cannot go 0-2 in the division. And just like the Jax game was a showcase for the O, I think this game needs to be a showcase for the D (and of course, we still need that O too!). Simply put: Must win.

And I agree with that if we're 4-2, we go to Indy and beat them. Big if though.

i agree this is huge. how come the skins always seem to play the road games first in the division? would be feeling much better if this were at Fedex and we could continue the momentum. Although i have the feeling the giants will be tough i also think they are one bad beat away from imploding.

Division Rivalry.....

2-3 versus 3-2......

Confidence.......

)

*Scribes gospel in blood, submits to King James for entrance to Bible.*

With the way Portis and Jansen were talking about the upcoming Giants game in New York last night, the Redskins are NOT going in there unprepared like last time. They said they know that they have a lot to prove and going up against the Giants in New York is yet another great way to prove to everyone that the Redskins mean business this year.

The players thrive on the disrespect the media gives them. They use it to boost themselves up to all challenges. And because of the 4 point spread and the fact that it's a road game, the boys in burgundy have plenty to feed off of to get pumped and fired up this weekend.

Archived