Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Learning a different language . . .

Slateman

Good luck with french, so many damned exceptions and rules and chairs are females... Trust me, I live in Montreal.

Speaking french you might learn on your own, but writing it... like hell.

Watch tv shows in french, they'll help you.

Of course if you learn french then spanish will be easy to learn afterwards because of some ressemblances.

How are you - English

Comment est tu - French

Como estas - Spanish

I'm taking my language class (spanish) in college now.

I really want to learn something like Tagalog. My girlfriend is filipina and her parents still speak their language many times. I'd love to just sit at a dinner table and be able to hear something and then say "Excuse me, what did you say?" in their language. Hopefully they'd have a sense of humor about it ;).

p.s.- Rosetta Stone, as mentioned, from what I know is ranked fairly high. I'd check them out.

Learning a language is all about practice, especially when it comes to perfecting your accent and your listening skills. Once you've chosen the language you want to learn, immerse yourself in it as often as possible. For example, if you're teaching yourself Spanish and you know a native speaker, set aside a chunk of time (daily if possible, but definitely weekly) to practice conversation with that person. Check out foreign films from Blockbuster, Netflix, or the library.

If you're still in school, find out if your college has a club for the language you want to learn. At Purdue we have both a German club and a coffee hour in the middle of the day on Fridays where people can meet to chat and practice their language skills.

Learning a language is all about practice, especially when it comes to perfecting your accent and your listening skills. Once you've chosen the language you want to learn, immerse yourself in it as often as possible. For example, if you're teaching yourself Spanish and you know a native speaker, set aside a chunk of time (daily if possible, but definitely weekly) to practice conversation with that person. Check out foreign films from Blockbuster, Netflix, or the library.

If you're still in school, find out if your college has a club for the language you want to learn. At Purdue we have both a German club and a coffee hour in the middle of the day on Fridays where people can meet to chat and practice their language skills.

Not in school anymore. Just graduated :cheers:

I am going to try and learn Arabic or Farsi. I figure it may come in handy during my career in the Marines :)

Not in school anymore. Just graduated :cheers:

I am going to try and learn Arabic or Farsi. I figure it may come in handy during my career in the Marines :)

I was an AF Linguist -- studied German, Russian, and finally Arabic after the Cold War ended and we didn't need any more German linguists. Maybe you can put in to go through DLI (Defense Language Institute) in Monterey, CA. I was stationed there 2x, best language training IN THE WORLD, total immersion, GREAT place to live, etc. The Arabic course at DLI was 63 weeks of Monterey heaven !! It is an all-service school ...

I was an AF Linguist -- studied German, Russian, and finally Arabic after the Cold War ended and we didn't need any more German linguists. Maybe you can put in to go through DLI (Defense Language Institute) in Monterey, CA. I was stationed there 2x, best language training IN THE WORLD, total immersion, GREAT place to live, etc. The Arabic course at DLI was 63 weeks of Monterey heaven !! It is an all-service school ...

At this current time, I'm trying to re-qualify for OCS. Got a long way to go (there's a running thread started by me around here somewhere). If I were to enlist, I'm fairly sure I wouldn't qualify for a language school. I haven done poorly in spanish in college.

Unfortunately for most, the best way I've found to learn a new langauge is to move to that country and get out amongst the populace

But like I said, that's not an option for most

Sarge is spot-on.

That's how we learned....back in the day,(late 70's early 80's), my Dad got stationed in Naples...he refused to live near any of the American "compounds". We moved in to an Italian neighborhood and were the only American family for miles. It didn't take long.. You'll know when you've arrived when you start dreaming in a foreign language.......

At this current time, I'm trying to re-qualify for OCS. Got a long way to go (there's a running thread started by me around here somewhere). If I were to enlist, I'm fairly sure I wouldn't qualify for a language school. I haven done poorly in spanish in college.

The military qualifies you for language school SOLELY on your DLAB score. That test uses a fake language to see if you have a "knack" for learning foreign languages. They dont care if you have ANY previous foreign language knowledge. See if you can take the DLAB through your base.

Good luck my friend.

IMO some people have the knack for languages and some don't. I am a pretty well educated person, and all my classes came easily to me except one. French kicked my azz. I studied that one subject more than all of my othre classes put together, and it never ever sunk in at all. Frankly, it was humiliating.

My wife, on the other hand, was a French major who graduated with honors. She took German and Spanish as her electives because, to her, those were the easiest "gut" courses she could find. Insanity.

If you don't have access to formal instruction, after learning the basics, immersion is the way to go. If you can't spend time in the country, or work with a native speaker, watch movies in that language. Supplement it with readings in the language in subjects you are interested in, such as newspapers, and continued study. Nowadays via the web it is easy to read foreign language newspapers.

Archived