Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SFGate: Senate votes to ban smoking in cars carrying young kids

Mooka

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2006/08/28/state/n193817D14.DTL&hw=smoking+cars+children&sn=001&sc=1000

(08-28) 20:51 PDT SACRAMENTO, (AP) --Californians who smoke in motor vehicles carrying young children could be slapped with $100 fines under a bill approved Monday by the state Senate.

But a measure to force automakers to produce more lower-polluting, alternative-fuel vehicles fell four votes short of passing.

The smoking ban, in a bill by Assemblyman Paul Koretz, D-West Hollywood, would cover vehicles carrying children who were required to ride in a child safety seat.

Under current law, that would be children who were younger than 6 or who weighed less than 60 pounds. But a bill on the governor's desk would require children younger than 8 years to ride in child seats unless they were at least 4-foot-9.

Sen. Deborah Ortiz, D-Sacramento, said the Koretz bill was an attempt to "protect the health of children who cannot protect themselves."

"We all know that secondhand smoke is hazardous," she said, particularly for young children whose lungs are still developing. "Children are effectively smoking a pack and a half a day for every hour they are exposed to smoke in a car."

I think they may be taking things a bit too far...

Personally, I am glad this made it through, although I am sure Arnie will smite it.

Then I hope you are pleased when the rest of the choices in life are removed.

BTW how is your diet, and what activities do you engage in?

Are you living in a area with good air quality?

I guess I don't see what the big deal is.

Why should be ok to constantly subject your children to toxins?

Are we to allow the goverment to choose thier diet at home also?

If the goverment were to take and support my children,THEN they would be entitled to make choices related to them.

Are we gonna fine for promiscuity or alchohol abuse ? It affects our health and the well being of those around us...How about aids or other sexualy transmitted diseases?

Are we to allow the goverment to choose thier diet at home also?

If the goverment were to take and support my children,THEN they would be entitled to make choices related to them.

Are we gonna fine for promiscuity or alchohol abuse ? It affects our health and the well being of those around us...How about aids or other sexualy transmitted diseases?

Done building your straw man? :rolleyes:

Forcing kids to inhale toxins isn't a liberty you enjoy in being a parent.

If you are willfully harming your kid, I personally think the government has every right to come in and mandate that you stop.

How about forcing them to ingest them via poor diet?

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Evil Genius

Done building your straw man?

It may be to you,however when does the goverments power stop?

Is it simply the idea of children being endangered?

Should we outlaw sports, swimming,...Baths?

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Evil Genius

Done building your straw man?

It may be to you,however when does the goverments power stop?

Is it simply the idea of children being endangered?

Should we outlaw sports, swimming,...Baths?

Some of the same people here have no problem with government intervention when it comes to safety (of the country, aka Patriot Act).

And yet, someone tells you that you cannot poison your kids with secondhand smoke and it pisses you off?

Give me a break.

Yeah TEG, I think I have to go with the bad guys on this one. Is it smart to smoke in a closed car with little kids? No. Should it be illegal? HELL NO.

Problem with common sense is that it isn't that common. Stupidity isn't against the law.

On that ,I could see (somewhat) fining someone for smoking in a "closed "car.

But are we gonna fine for sitting in traffic? The exhaust fumes are toxic as well,especialy the MTB(the goverment required) and particales from soot.

The idea of personal responsibility is lost with the nanny goverment.

Some of the same people here have no problem with government intervention when it comes to safety (of the country, aka Patriot Act).

And yet, someone tells you that you cannot poison your kids with secondhand smoke and it pisses you off?

Give me a break.

Glad you brought that up :laugh:

The goverments JOB is to provide national security,it is NOT to micro-manage your life...But I guess you missed that in the constitution :rolleyes:

Yet I suppose you cannot recognize the difference.

Added

You obviously are one of the ones whining about goverment spying and you cannot see the distinction?

You should be in the head of the pack cheering the NSA on :D

Ironic, "nanny government" is the arguments that were used when seatbelts and then, car seats were deemed mandatory.

As long as I pay the insurance and healthcare for myself and kids it IS a intrusion on my rights.

I can understand recomending use or actions, but fines for non-compliance is BS

Archived