Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Clayton on ESPN Game Day

Fifty Gut

"no worries, Joe Gibbs will not like it, but after the injury to Portis, they have really scaled back everything not wanting to show or really do a thing, especially on offense"

"the defense will still be really good and the offense will wake up come regular season"

"Gibbs has never really had a record for winning preseason games, they are just more worried about injuries right now than anything else... they are a different team without Portis' presense"

an overall positive spin, he said he's not worried yet

I heard that.

Good post.

I think if someone like Clayton is comparing this team's preseason performance to the Colts, then it's a little more valid than if someone like me says it.

I'm not trying to say that this team is as good as those teams, but it's nice to hear a completely objective observer (who knows his stuff) say that it's not a big deal.

To be honest with you, I'm much more concerned with our D than our O...but I honestly believe we've been gameplanning for Minnesota and Dallas in practice, not New England or Baltimore.

All of this is to get good evaluation of the players in key positions by setting them up to fail in a sense, to see what type of mettle the team has, what color heart.

Once a game plan is laid down, schemes are put into place, this team will not dissapppoint.

Remember all the off season talk of goals? Goal one being to get back to the playoffs but THIS time with home field advantage? Those are lofty goals. Now, after the preseason is basically over, the team is back to taking it one week at a time! Hail to the Redskins and don't forget the "Gibbs factor"!

Great post. I think Clayton is one of the best reporters when it comes to NFL news on espn. And it's true. Every season that Gibbs teams have had a .500 or below winning average, they have gone on to the playoffs or the Superbowl (per Wilbon in todays Post article). We went 1-3 last year and made the 2nd round of the playoffs, and in 1982, we went 0-4 and won the superbowl, and in 1991 we wnt 1-3 and won the superbowl, so I am not worried at all. Saunders said he only had used 2 percent of the 700 page playbook anyway. I think the biggest concern is injuries right now, and that's what most of the team is worried about, not wins or losses.

I will say the same thing I have said throughout the Preseason. What do we want to be 4-0 in the Preseason (Steve Spurrier Days) or do we want to be 4-0 in the regular Season. I hope if nothing else comes out of it that the bandwagon jumpers jump off and the Faithful join tightly together as always!!!

Now If we can get the some of these so called Skins fans to releate to that then we will be a stronger fan base.

Gibbs needs us to support the team through the good as well as the bad.

I think, for some people, that blurb by Clayton will really help calm the nerves. Sometimes it just takes an analyst to reassure people, as ludicrous as it sounds. After all, I'm sure the average poster puts more stock in Clayton than Om, Bubba, tr1, Ouvan, etc.

Nothing against you guys, though.

after hearing about the game, im kind of glad that I am down here in NC right now. All of that bad press up around DC would be so annoying. This is a great little blurb by clayton. And it is all true as well. I just cant wait 'till september 11th so we can try and prove ourselves as what we really our; a playoff calibur team.

I'm not folding the tent yet...but that's a bunch of hooey. the manner in which jansen was beaten last night ought to worry some folks. it's the fundamentals that are not being done well at present. and that ought to worry a few folks.

if that is how you want to feel about it, then go right ahead. But personally, i dont really want to be stressing that much over a preseason game. If he looks like that in the regular season, then I think it might be time to worry. But Jansen is a veteran, that has played solid his whole career. I doubt that all of a sudden, he will turn into a joke of a player, and destroy our o-line. It just wont happen.

I heard that.

Good post.

I think if someone like Clayton is comparing this team's preseason performance to the Colts, then it's a little more valid than if someone like me says it.

I'm not trying to say that this team is as good as those teams, but it's nice to hear a completely objective observer (who knows his stuff) say that it's not a big deal.

To be honest with you, I'm much more concerned with our D than our O...but I honestly believe we've been gameplanning for Minnesota and Dallas in practice, not New England or Baltimore.

I can live with this account of emphasis here! I believe to that they have been in the works of developing their game plans for these regular season games.

Now If we can get the some of these so called Skins fans to releate to that then we will be a stronger fan base.

Gibbs needs us to support the team through the good as well as the bad.

Get real. The only person that needs us through these times is Daniel Snyder. Preseason games are glorified practices that mean not a whole lot. The money the owners make is all that matters. PERIOD. I did hear Clayton this morning and agree that the cause for concern is not great. I could care less if they lose every preseason game.

I will say the same thing I have said throughout the Preseason. What do we want to be 4-0 in the Preseason (Steve Spurrier Days) or do we want to be 4-0 in the regular Season. I hope if nothing else comes out of it that the bandwagon jumpers jump off and the Faithful join tightly together as always!!!

You are right. A 0-4 preseason guarantees we will start 4-0 in the regular season. You are right. By playing sloppy in these 4 games, it will guarantee that we will play better during the regular season.

sharp comment. You are really astute.

"I could care less if they lose every preseason game."

It's not the record that matetrs. it's Wright not looking like he can cover my grandmother; it's arch always a step behind; it's an o-line that can't stop a five man rush. go back and look at the tape. I recall one play in which the interior lineman passed a passrusher off to the right tackle and the tackle bungled the handoff - which went on to become a sack. it's about the coordination that is a concern. this is a vet line that should have tis sort of thing wired. yes...I agree there is time and it's way too early to panic. but some thigs that should be taken for granted have suddenly become concerns.

You are right. A 0-4 preseason guarantees we will start 4-0 in the regular season. You are right. By playing sloppy in these 4 games, it will guarantee that we will play better during the regular season.

sharp comment. You are really astute.

Sarcasm noted. 0-4 in the preseason doesn't mean we will be the same or better in the regular season. I think what people are trying to say regarding Gibbs record in pre-season is what the teams actually do in the games as far as plays and schemes are concerned. There have been awful showings in the past by a Gibbs coached squad and they end up okay. If a team runs the same 20 plays and only the same 20 plays, opposing teams are going to see it and tee off. The Patriots just won two games by a score of 71-3. Does that mean they will go undefeated this year? Absolutely mind boggling.

Guest sith lord
freaky....someone at ESPN with a positive word about the Skins

Unlike the other people on ESPN, Clayton is not a talking head.

...but I honestly believe we've been gameplanning for Minnesota and Dallas in practice, not New England or Baltimore.

Exactly. We aren't preparing for these teams. Minny and Dallas are going to have a rude awakening if they expect to see the pre-season Redskins in the regular season.

Me thinks some of the fans here will be rudely awakened come week one, too.

Archived