Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ray Nagin is a POS

21KO

(CBS) Confronted by accusations that he’s taking too long to clean up his city after Hurricane Katrina, New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin defended himself by remarking on New York City’s failure to rebuild Ground Zero.

Nagin made the remarks in an interview conducted by CBS News National Correspondent Byron Pitts which will be broadcast on 60 Minutes, Sunday, Aug. 27, at 7 p.m. EDT.

On a tour of the decimated Ninth Ward, Nagin tells Pitts the city has removed most of the debris from public property and it’s mainly private land that’s still affected – areas that can’t be cleaned without the owners' permission. But when Pitts points to flood-damaged cars in the street and a house washed partially into the street, the mayor shoots back. "That’s alright. You guys in New York can’t get a hole in the ground fixed and it’s five years later. So let’s be fair."

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/08/24/60minutes/main1933092.shtml

Yes he is a POS!!!! I live in north louisiana and can tell you he makes the whole state look bad. I hope everyone knows who has never been to the state that it is really a night and day difference between north la and south la. South la has more population and the votes therefore the state is in chaos and always has been the most crooked state in the union. The federal gov should have been more watchful over the funds and the money they gave to the state for the hurricane. What is even more amazing is how dumb the majority are in NO! They re-elected this idiot. But that doesnt surprise me, the good people of the state re-elected Edwin Edwards time and time again knowing he was a crook.

I'll see the interview before I comment. If the context is correct, then he's a moron, needless to say. But I read today's journalism knowing that they're all reaching for a headline. I'm not saying he said or didn't say what is reported in this article in the context it's written. But, I'd like to be sure.

1. I was going to post the same thing and did a search first: Could you use the actual title of the article and not your opinion:

New Orleans Mayor Takes Swipe At NYC

2. Wasnt the WTC cleanup done faster than they were given AND under budget?

And they were sifting through each piece for remains and personal effects...

http://www.time.com/time/photoessays/groundzero/1.html

3. When confronted again and again by your inability to follow a written procedure:

Blame others, it apparently works.

I'm with Herrmag on this one. Let the spin slow down before I pass judgement on him. On the surface, it really makes me want to puke. Hopefully somehow these words were twisted and a grown man didn't actually say that.

But I am not holding my breath.

~Bang

Yes he is a POS!!!! I live in north louisiana and can tell you he makes the whole state look bad. I hope everyone knows who has never been to the state that it is really a night and day difference between north la and south la. South la has more population and the votes therefore the state is in chaos and always has been the most crooked state in the union. The federal gov should have been more watchful over the funds and the money they gave to the state for the hurricane. What is even more amazing is how dumb the majority are in NO! They re-elected this idiot. But that doesnt surprise me, the good people of the state re-elected Edwin Edwards time and time again knowing he was a crook.

First and foremost. The Katrina Devastation is way worst and spread out then at ground zero. Second, Why doesnt anyone point the finger a Gov. Blanco. She is the Gov. of the state. She has the power to make things happen. She had the right to declare a state of emergency for the state and she failed. It wasnt untill Nigan got on the radio and expressed his anger, till the entire city received help. Nigan is just a Mayor he doesnt have power. If everyone wants to blame Nigan then he should have her job. The city of NO does not receive any money from these oil companies that are drilling right off the coast. The majority of their money come from Tourism. Gov. Blanco is a POS she failed to declare the city a federal disaster. To keep it real with you. The reason everybody blames Niagan is because he is BLACK. The WHITE woman is the one who F*cked up!

First and foremost. The Katrina Devastation is way worst and spread out then at ground zero. Second, Why doesnt anyone point the finger a Gov. Blanco. She is the Gov. of the state. She has the power to make things happen. She had the right to declare a state of emergency for the state and she failed. It wasnt untill Nigan got on the radio and expressed his anger, till the entire city received help. Nigan is just a Mayor he doesnt have power. If everyone wants to blame Nigan then he should have her job. The city of NO does not receive any money from these oil companies that are drilling right off the coast. The majority of their money come from Tourism. Gov. Blanco is a POS she failed to declare the city a federal disaster. To keep it real with you. The reason everybody blames Niagan is because he is BLACK. The WHITE woman is the one who F*cked up!

Why doesn't anyone point the finger at her? I think people have pointed the finger at her. Granted they are usually too busy pointing the finger at the federal government but it seems like the blame is usually distributed from the top down and poor Mr. Nagin receives very little of it. Why is everyone blaming him here? Because he said it, it is really that simple.

What does oil money have to do with any of this? They get their reconstruction and clean up money from the government, not from oil or tourism.

Of course, make it a racial issue Kanye, that will fix EVERYTHING. Or elect a black man that is competent and doesn't put his foot in his mouth.

Why doesn't anyone point the finger at her? I think people have pointed the finger at her. Granted they are usually too busy pointing the finger at the federal government but it seems like the blame is usually distributed from the top down and poor Mr. Nagin receives very little of it. Why is everyone blaming him here? Because he said it, it is really that simple.

What does oil money have to do with any of this? They get their reconstruction and clean up money from the government, not from oil or tourism.

Of course, make it a racial issue Kanye, that will fix EVERYTHING. Or elect a black man that is competent and doesn't put his foot in his mouth.

If the city received some of the billions that the oil companies are getting. Then maybe the levee would have been up to par. As far as the clean up efforts. If half of a city is destroyed it will take years to clean up. The N.O. isnt a two hotel town. The goverment are starting to take all katrina victims property away from them illeagally. So all of the reconstruction and clean up money is really the money the G'ment is getting by strong arming people out of ther own property. I guess we can all blame Nigan for that too.

Not a fan of Nagin, you can look at my past posts about him, I don't think I've had anything positive to say, However, in this case, sure it wasn't cool of him to take a swipe at NY, but, Katrina was a disaster just like the 9/11 terrorist attacks. Just because the terrorists attacks provoke a patriotic sentiment, if I recall, it did take quite a bit of time to clear the debris and they had massive help in NY. I don't think that they have had the out pouring of help and sentiment in NO and the other areas that were destroyed compared to NYC.

I'm not defending the idiot mayor's comments, he didn't need to go there, but I can see how it would be frustrating.

If the city received some of the billions that the oil companies are getting. Then maybe the levee would have been up to par. As far as the clean up efforts. If half of a city is destroyed it will take years to clean up. The N.O. isnt a two hotel town. The goverment are starting to take all katrina victims property away from them illeagally. So all of the reconstruction and clean up money is really the money the G'ment is getting by strong arming people out of ther own property. I guess we can all blame Nigan for that too.

To lend credibility to your support you really should learn how to spell the guys name. Your other statements lend very little to the discussion. The government is making money by strong arming people out of their own property? What does that mean?

To keep it real with you. The reason everybody blames Niagan is because he is BLACK. The WHITE woman is the one who F*cked up!

Quote of the week: :doh:

Maybe because she doesnt refer to the WTC as a "hole in the ground".

And inaccurately say it wasnt cleaned up in time either.. it was done faster and under budget than scheduled....

Wow sounds like some of the responses here. Just blame it on racism and thats always been the case. Blanco didnt do much better but at least she didnt stick her foot in her mouth. It wouldnt matter how much money was given out the state couldnt use it correctly.

It's easy and convenient, which is why it gets used so much. If you disagree, you're called a racist yourself and the cycle continues.

This whole post was stupid. The title alone ensured that it would

turn into a custer f....;)

I watched a doco earlier this week about Katrina, amd from what I could see, every decision that the Mayor suggested before Katrina hit land was knocked back by the Governor.

ATM, the Mayor seems to be caught between a rock and a hard place. If the clean-up is being hindered by residents who have not yet returned, what does he do? If all amenities are back up and running in N.O., then he should make that assurance to all the residents who have yet to return and give them until the end of the year to return and reclaim their property. If they don't return, then send in the clean-up crews.

I can relate to what's happening there as I went through Cyclone Tracy, which completely destroyed Darwin on Christmas Day, 1974. It was a good 5-6 years before the last of the clean up was completed, and even now, there are still signs of the devastation that occured that morning.

Planning for New Orleans' future is the most important factor now. It's best to get it right now rather than go for a quick fix.

Maybe if all the people weren't stupid enough to live in a city that was below sea level(and sinking further every year) to begin with, maybe they wouldn't have had a problem.:2cents:

I work for FEMA which might make this confession seem odd but whenever I have a discussion with someone about Katrina and how FEMA, Pres Bush, Gov Blanco, Ray Nagin all messed up so horribly I always bring up your point as being a fact that one learns early and often in geography class in the US.

To lend credibility to your support you really should learn how to spell the guys name. Your other statements lend very little to the discussion. The government is making money by strong arming people out of their own property? What does that mean?

The goverment is saying that if a property owner from NO does not come back to NO. They are going to take their land away from them. If you dont have the means to return to NO and live there what are you going to do? They are strong arming people out of there land and using the money to rebuild and clean up the city. The money that the goverment is kicking out to clean up and rebuild will go right back in their pockets by taking away from the people that lost everything. I guess its Nagin's fault.

The goverment is saying that if a property owner from NO does not come back to NO. They are going to take their land away from them. If you dont have the means to return to NO and live there what are you going to do? They are strong arming people out of there land and using the money to rebuild and clean up the city. The money that the goverment is kicking out to clean up and rebuild will go right back in their pockets by taking away from the people that lost everything. I guess its Nagin's fault.

You got Nagin's name right this time. Unfortunately I think that is about it.

In your estimation, which government is taking the land away to pad their pockets with.

What government is doing the strong arming? City, State, Federal?

What is your recommended solution? That the property that belongs to people that do not come back remain in the current state that it is in?

Archived