Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: New Team, Old Scenario - Ramsey Is Vying for Starter's Job

spanishomelette

New Team, Old Scenario

As With the Redskins, Jets' Ramsey Is Vying for Starter's Job

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/08/17/AR2006081701537.html

By Les Carpenter

Washington Post Staff Writer

Friday, August 18, 2006; Page E01

It was the man who took his job who helped him cope. Through everything the last two seasons, Brunell and Ramsey became close friends, sharing among other things a Christian faith. As a result, they did plenty together. And it was Brunell, who had been through similar moments in his career, who counseled him, talking him through the toughest days.

In fact they still talk regularly. Just Wednesday morning, they spoke on the phone so they could make arrangements for Brunell to get Ramsey's wife a parking pass for Saturday's game.

Mostly the memories are good ones, Ramsey said, even in the weeks after he lost his job for good and had to watch Brunell move the offense that was supposed to have been fine-tuned for him.

"It was fun, really," Ramsey said. "We were winning there the last couple of months. We went to the playoffs and we were having a good time. Even though I wasn't playing, I was going to the playoffs and was part of a team that was in the playoffs and that was a new experience for me and I was trying to learn from it. We were successful and if I wasn't there and I was somewhere else I wanted to carry that over to someplace."

So he studied those last few games, he watched as the Redskins came together. He watched as they kept pulling out games they could have lost and he took note of what he was seeing. Once the season was over and it was clear he would not remain in Washington, he waited for his agent, Jimmy Sexton, to call him with a trade. It happened on March 18 when he was sent to the Jets for a sixth-round pick.

"I was excited," he said. "It was an opportunity to go someplace and compete for a job."

Which he apparently is still doing now, even as his exact status remains unclear.

"Especially over the last few days he's done a really good job of knowing where to go with the football and he's made some good reads," Mangini said Thursday.

so for a silly point...if Ramsey get's beaten out by Brooks Bollinger, and gets cut, do we bring him back to back up Brunell and make Todd Collins an assistant coach. I almost think Ramsey would go for that, and would be much happier as a back up here, especially with his relationship with Brunell.

Anyone else agree...

so for a silly point...if Ramsey get's beaten out by Brooks Bollinger, and gets cut, do we bring him back to back up Brunell and make Todd Collins an assistant coach. I almost think Ramsey would go for that, and would be much happier as a back up here, especially with his relationship with Brunell.

Anyone else agree...

Noone else will come anywhere close to agreeing...lol...silly point, definitely. ;):silly:

Btw, Pennington may not be playing in Saturday's game...my guess is that the rookie will start for them, and will get buried by the Skins' starting defense. But I'm curious if they start Bollinger ahead of Ramsey and he ends up having another 3-pass-attempt game against the 4th stringers.

I feel bad for Ramsey. He is a good person and has always worked hard and done what the team has asked him to do. He just doesn't have the right talent to be a starting QB in this league. I think he is fighting for a roster spot. Whenever a coach gives half answers it means the player (s) are not standing out against their competition.

I don't know. All he has to do is muster a 40 yard passing performance and throw an INT across his body late in his outing in his own territory--I'm sure he'll get to keep his job.

Bitterness will eat you alive if you let it.............

I like Ramsey and hoped he'd make it here. I believe that had he'd been brought along slowly(like Campbell is now) and not thrown to the wolves, he'd have succeeded.

Spurrier and more importantly, Kim Helton ruined his career. :2cents:

Pennington is a better quarterback. If he was healthy there was no doubt that he would be the starter. The question was whether Pennington ever would be healthy again.

Ramsey was brought in as insurance. He is going to be a backup in NY. The team signed him for another season, extending his current deal. So, he is in the team's plans but as a backup.

For a guy that was a #1 draft choice, obviously the expectations were higher entering his 5th year in the NFL.

At the same time and as many of us noted, Ramsey learned nothing in 2002 and 2003 under Spurrier except how NOT to play. Gibbs began the process of re-programming PR in 2004 and it has been difficult because as a starter in 2003, Ramsey got the idea that he was ready to compete at a high level in the NFL while Gibbs knew that PR needed a lot more work on his fundamentals and in his preparation.

Ramsey didn't want to hear that. He believed he had already earned the starting job. For Gibbs though, no positions are set in stone unless the performance is there to back it up. Ramsey never showed Gibbs on the field that Joe should be confident he had found the guy to take the team to the playoffs.

I thought that the part about Brunnell & Ramsey forming a strong freindship last year was pretty interesting...2 players vying for only 1 spot, yet being professional enough to not let it affect personal feelings towards one another. I can't picture that happening on many teams.

(I was about to say it may be a signature of a Gibbs-coached team, but then I remembered Shroeder vs. Doug Williams---& kept my mouth shut.)

Noone else will come anywhere close to agreeing...lol...silly point, definitely. ;):silly:

Come on -- will never happen, but I'd at least agree that I wish it would. Collins is essentially a coach (a la Wuerffel), and Ramsey can play. Looked good when he played last year. A quality back-up and not a bad starter in the right offense.

Though for the Skins I'd hope he'd still be behind Campbell, which I believe is part of why he was traded.

Ramsey refused to acknowledge that he had anything left to learn. Gibbs had no choice but to deal him. Patrick may be more patient in NY and be willing to listen and learn behind Pennington, but he clearly wasn't willing to do that in Washington.

Funny too as Gibbs' track record with developing and putting the best quarterback on the field is a lot longer and marked with success than anyone on the current Jets' staff.

The Jets' head coach is in fact a former defensive coordinator :)

I really think Ramsey's starting in 2003 before he was ready to be a starting NFL quarterback ruined his attitude here.

He seemed to think because he started for Spurrier's 5-11 team that carried weight with Gibbs and ensured he would remain the undisputed starter.

Things don't work that way in the NFL.

Virtually NO player on a 5-11 team is guaranteed anything by a new staff.

Everything is under review and subject to change because the NFL is about winning.

And if you are not winning you really don't have any protection.

Yeah, poor PR was ruined by Spurrier's 'Fun-n-Gun' or rather 'Chuck-n-Duck' offense so now he gets nervous and happy feet in the pocket and makes ill-advised throws.

I wish him the best and hope that he gets a spot in NY.

I wouldn't waste energy thinking about ways to blame PR's lack of ability on anyone or everyone around him. He is a good guy. And when he is able to avoid his agent's influence, maintains a great team attitude. He gives it ALL his effort. But unfortunately, he has proven over and over that no matter WHO his teacher is, he is unable to make ANY progress on numerous obvious faults that would keep him from winning a starting job anywhere in the NFL. I hope he can hang on in the NFL for a few more years, because I like the guy. But it does not seem real likely.

Archived