Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: New Team, Old Scenario - Ramsey Is Vying for Starter's Job

spanishomelette

It's rare that 6th round draft choices are dealt for anything other than reserve talent. I like PR for his maturity and character, but I tend to agree (slightly) that SOS ruined his psyche. I liked that someone posted a thread (Belichek on Bledsoe) about Belichek's assessment of Bledsoe vs. Brady, explaining how DB would often hold the ball far too long, while TB would make his reads and release quickly. Unfortunately for PR, Joe Gibbs knows as much, if not more about QB's, than Belichek and made that assessment very early on. I wish him well, but I agree with someone's earlier assessment of PR earning a comfortable living being a career backup.

also you have to look at history. Ramsey at Tulane threw the ball a lot in an unstructured system that accentuated his strong arm but never made him accountable for his fundamentals. Spurrier only muddied the waters with his 'personal' coaching of the quarterbacks here in Washington.

Come on -- will never happen, but I'd at least agree that I wish it would. Collins is essentially a coach (a la Wuerffel), and Ramsey can play. Looked good when he played last year. A quality back-up and not a bad starter in the right offense.

Even though I always liked PR and was always a fan of his I think all of this should put a closing "note" on PR's ability to play in this league. Wether or not you want to excuse his play now with the "Spurrier ruined his career" or not is really irrelevant at this point. If the guy cannot beat out a QB that has had three major surgeries on his arm and another who is a rookie I can only say that I am glad we got what we got for him ( 6th rounder ? ) and I wish him luck in whatever he decides to do after football. :applause:

Ramsey just doesn't have the football instincts to make any coach in the league comfortable with him. No poise, no pocket presence, and for all his arm strength, he doesn't throw the deep ball well at all.

Class act all the way though. Hope he makes the jets and sees some time.

Ramsey just doesn't have the football instincts to make any coach in the league comfortable with him. No poise, no pocket presence, and for all his arm strength, he doesn't throw the deep ball well at all.

I've thought the same thing. He's the good, tough guy with the strong arm whom someone tried to make a QB. I just don't think he's ultimately NFL starter material.

Archived