Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Lavar "won't Be 100 Percent" This Year

Hooper

From everybody's favorite site, profootballtalk.com. Despite the source, this just confirms the rumors that he either failed physicals in Miami and Jacksonville, or simply refused to take them.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

LAVAR "WON'T BE 100 PERCENT" THIS YEAR

Amid reports that Giants linebacker LaVar Arrington's knee is still giving him trouble, there's a growing belief in league circles that Arrington "won't be 100 percent" in 2006.

And the words "degenerative knee condition" are now being mentioned in connection with Arrington, suggesting that he might never be much better than he is right now.

Arrington's knee, we've heard, raised flags in other cities in the offseason when he was looking for a new team. Eventually, he signed a contract that, while impressive on paper, requires him to be able to perform well in order to unlock the truly big money.

Subtracting the $4 million or so in earned but unpaid bonus money he waived with the Redskins in order to hit the free agent market early, Arrington doesn't stand to cash in with the Giants if he can't play at a high level.

For the Giants, the contract structure limited their risk, but they still took a chance on Arrington and, by all appearances, they lost.

I remember back in the 1970's a sportswriter made the comment that when Don Shula cuts a player that's almost a sure sign the guy doesn't have an NFL future. He was that good in his prime of evaluating the talent the front office brought in.

Well, I think Gibbs and Williams form that kind of 1-2 punch for the Redskins in re personnel on both sides of the ball.

Gibbs sent Coles and Gardner packing and neither one showed in 2005 that he made a mistake. Coles again the possession receiver (post injury) that he was here in DC. Gardner was bounced from Carolina and picked up by 4-12 Green Bay.

On defense, Williams has let some guys go over the past 2 years but the replacement players almost always appear to be as good and in a lot of cases better performers.

With Arrington, I think Williams reached the conclusion that he could not work with #56, that the 'window' to coach Arrington as an NFLer at age 27/28 had closed, and that Arrington was not a winner - a guy you could count on to be part of a championship team who would make the commitment to his teammates to do the job he was asked to do.

Of course the injury risk with the knee was also ever-present.

The combination of both lead the team to cut him loose.

Williams takes waiver wire players and plugs them in to a top 10 defense and yet a guy with as much physical talent as Arrington came into the league with can't elevate to become a star in that system?

There was something wrong here and it all started with #56 himself.

Guest sith lord
I think he will be their best LB but I don't know how long it will last. Good luck and best wishes to Lavar Arrington. (Except when he plays us.)

How is he gonna be their best LB if he's having nagging knee injuries? I think he's washed up.

Lavar will never be the same player he once was. In fact, he might be out of the league sooner than later because of his knee.

Ramsey is in danger of getting cut if he doesn't start playing better -- he could seriously lose the jets backup job to Brooks Bollinger, who is reportedly getting more snaps.

I mean, who would have thought?

Lavar will never be the same player he once was. In fact, he might be out of the league sooner than later because of his knee.

Ramsey is in danger of getting cut if he doesn't start playing better -- he could seriously lose the jets backup job to Brooks Bollinger, who is reportedly getting more snaps.

I mean, who would have thought?

Joe Gibbs, Al Saunders, and me.

Archived