Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Quick Question on Lumsden: Wondering what you guys think.

UpNorth

Does it really matter what Jesse Lumsden does when he is carrying the ball in practice and preseason games (as far as gaining yards, etc) if in the end he will only have a chance to make the team on specials?

Surely, if this is the case, his special teams play must be far more important that his play with the offense. And when he has a nice run in practice/preseason, wil the coaching staff just say "Nice run but let's see what he can do on special teams"?

From what I have read, and from the opinions expressed on this site, it appears as though he could continue to break runs and score TDs for the rest of the preseason and still fail to supplant anyone that is on the depth chart at RB.

Am I correct?

For this season? Probably, unless people ahead of him on the depth chart get ... you know ... that bad word, and can't play. But it's not just about this year. It's about the next FEW years. I Jesse keeps impressing at RB, he'll get his chance at some point.

I think you are absolutely correct. It is a shame that we may lose a great talent if he can't pull "teams" duty. But the way this kid looks and plays, coupled with the fact that the coaching staff knows Betts is likely gone after this year I wouldn't be surprised if he snuck onto the practice squad.:2cents:

I have said it before and I'll say it again. I think he is better than Rock and will supplant him for third string RB. Rock may make it but I just don't think he's better than Jesse. Frankly I don't really see what he's very good at. I am not impressed with his third down running (he isn't very big) and he doesn't have much speed. I just don't like his run instincts more than anything else.

It doesnt hurt for him to stand out running the ball. While he might only make special teams as a starter, he's always a fall back in case we need him. ALSO he is just petitioning for trade bait in the future. Another team may look at him and be willing to give the Redskins a lot for him because of his ability to play the running back position. Also it doesnt hurt that he's going 100% no matter where he's playing...Gibbs will notice that he's all go, even when there's almost no chance that he'll play that position. I guess it kind of gives him a good look at his work ethic.

Thinking outside the box, how about this scenario:

Jesse continues to kick ass in the preseason and con't to score TDs and break runs even vs. 1st team defences. Then we take Betts while he's still under contract and trade him to the Jets who are in need of a RB now that it looks like Curtis Martin is down. They will likely give us a high pick for him given thier situation (2nd rounder perhaps?).

Then, our depth chart looks like this:

Portis -> Cartwright -> Lumsden

It is likely that Betts will move on next year to a team where he is given the opportunity to compete for starting duty. If Jesse looks to be a solid runner keeping him will be a priority in looking to the future. Also with his size and drive, he could prove to be a nice compliment to Portis.

If Jesse does not look to have the talent to be effective at RB than regardless of what he brings on special teams I doubt he would be kept. He may well need to stand out on special teams to play this year, but without the RB talent that would not really matter.

I would have said yes 2 months ago, but from what the Coaches and scouts are saying - I have a feeling that both Ladell and Rock better play awesome in the preseason - and even then the Jets may come a callin for another trade ;)

Especially if Rock is going to play FB, or at least be slotted as one. Gibbs rarely openly praises someone in the way he did Jesse without using cliches and stuff, IMO.

He's not only trying to impress the Skins coaching staff, he's also going to be auditioning for the other 31 head coaches around the league, esp. if he gets the touches that Gibbs says he will in the pre-season games.

:logo:

I would be really surprised if Jesse was in another uniform in September, we signed him to a fairly large contract for an UDFA and I doubt they would let him go - especially if Ladell is trying to leave the Skins as early as next spring.

Very few people are on the roster ONLY for special teams. Usually these good special teamers are at least capable at their position. Thats what Lumsden is showing now. Hes showing that if they have a couple backs go down, he can step in and play. Dont completely count him out this season. I can easily see us carrying 4 RBs and 2 FBs(cutting either nemo or white). In fact in training camp I saw Betts line up a few times in the FB role(which makes perfect sense, given his size and his speed, he can block on the rare occasion, but can also give you a second threat), so in a real pinch, he could move to that role. I fully expect to see Lumsden on an NFL roster by the start of next season, and dont count him out from making it this season.

... Also with his size and drive, he could prove to be a nice compliment to Portis...

I couldnt agree more. Watching him run during the scrimmage, I saw a perfect compliment to portis. Lumsden seems to be the extremely patient, gibbs-style back that we didnt have in Portis's first season with us. Although portis REALLY improved on his patience waiting for holes to develop and has become, imo one of the premiere backs in the league, a guy like lumsden is a great change up to portis and should give this offense that extra bit of flexibility to compliment the variety of different formations we can put in front of defenses.

HTTR!

-C

im lovin lumsden but where does nemo fit into all of this? Anybody think he's shown promise yet? Nemo would be a better fit on the practice squad than lumsden.

portis->lumsden->rock->nemo ?

Nemo is a much better P-Squad choice, we may actually be able to hang onto him there, Jesse? No way, he wouldn't pass waivers - just like WR Mike Espy.

im lovin lumsden but where does nemo fit into all of this? Anybody think he's shown promise yet? Nemo would be a better fit on the practice squad than lumsden.

I think it is going to be tough for Nemo to make the roster. Really, I can't see the Redskins carrying more than 5 backs into the season, and 4 of the spots are pretty much nailed down. (Portis, Betts, Rock, and Sellars)

So, that leaves one spot for Lumsden, Nemo and White, and so far, it doesn't sound like Nemo is having a good camp so far.

Jason

I would be really surprised if Jesse was in another uniform in September, we signed him to a fairly large contract for an UDFA and I doubt they would let him go - especially if Ladell is trying to leave the Skins as early as next spring.

I hope you're right about this...

I really like Lumsden's potential.

Betts is a FA at the end of the year, and Lumsden's progress may have a huge impact on wether the Skins try to retain Betts, or have confindence to allow him to leave, much like what Lamar Marshall's play did the year before Pierce's contract negotions came up

Does it really matter what Jesse Lumsden does when he is carrying the ball in practice and preseason games (as far as gaining yards, etc) if in the end he will only have a chance to make the team on specials?

Surely, if this is the case, his special teams play must be far more important that his play with the offense. And when he has a nice run in practice/preseason, wil the coaching staff just say "Nice run but let's see what he can do on special teams"?

From what I have read, and from the opinions expressed on this site, it appears as though he could continue to break runs and score TDs for the rest of the preseason and still fail to supplant anyone that is on the depth chart at RB.

Am I correct?

You're probably right about that but of course, it doesn't hurt you to try harder on this team. Thats what "Gibbs guys" are all about, they continue to work harder and smarter all the time, regardless of what they're doing. I like this dude, I think he makes the team based on his performance in the scrimmage. If it doesn't hold up in the pre-season games however, I doubt he gets a spot. I'm got a funny feeling however, that we use this dude on kickoff returns, other special team roles and to throw a monkeywrench into Defensive plans on game day.

I can easily see us carrying 4 RBs and 2 FBs(cutting either nemo or white).

I could see us cutting BOTH Nemo and White, then Rock can be back up to Sellers on the active roster. - Nemo would be more likely to clear waivers, then Lumsden (assuming he continues to impress) and could be put on the PS as additional depth.

RB's - Portis, Betts, Lumsden

FB's - Sellers, Rock

PS- Nemo, Kerry Carter

Nemo is a much better P-Squad choice, we may actually be able to hang onto him there, Jesse? No way, he wouldn't pass waivers - just like WR Mike Espy.

Sorry about my lack of understanding here but what exactly does passing waivers mean?

Sorry about my lack of understanding here but what exactly does passing waivers mean?

When a player is waived by a team, teams get a shot of picking the player off of waivers, starting with the team with the worst record and going up. Once they pass through waivers, they can be signed to the practice squad. (If they are eligible, of course.)

Jason

Archived