Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WT: Inspired Thomas Rejoins Redskins

Inspired Thomas Rejoins Redskins

By David Elfin

THE WASHINGTON TIMES

August 3, 2006

Randy Thomas raised his fist in recognition of the ovation from the fans as he was carted off the field with a broken right ankle during a pummeling of the Dallas Cowboys at FedEx Field in December.

The Washington Redskins guard, having the best season of his seven-year career, wasn't sure when, or even if, he would return to his old self.

"It could have been my downfall," Thomas said of the injury that put him on crutches and then in a protective boot for weeks. "I wasn't sure I would be back. My being back out here has a lot to do with the type of person I am. I hate sitting on the sidelines. Those four weeks the team played without me were the worst of my life, sitting back and feeling sorry for myself.

"I didn't get out of that [mood] until I was able to walk again."

Once those dark clouds parted, Thomas attacked his rehabilitation with the verve he previously reserved for an opposing defensive tackle or a bucket of wings.

Thomas was back on the field before organized team activities wrapped up in mid-June.

"We've had veteran guys in the past play their rehabs into the third preseason game, but Randy worked his tail off," said Bubba Tyer, the Redskins' director of sports medicine.

Added offensive line coach Joe Bugel: "Let me tell you what dedication is. Everybody in the organization took a vacation [from mid-June until late July], and Randy was here ... working two or three hours every day."

click link for rest of article

The first time I saw Randy back on [the field during the OTAs], I couldn't believe it," Gibbs said. "He was running like it was nothing. Randy is extremely competitive. He paid a big price in the offseason. He was here every single day because he wanted to make sure he was ready.

"Normally, when I've seen that in the past, it has paid off in big dividends for the player and for us."

hell yeah :thumbsup:

Randy Thomas is the type of man every man should strive to be. I love this guy's heart. A true Redskin in every sense of the word. You hear the term "They don't make um like they used to" well sure they do, Randy Thomas is cut from an older mold where pride and dependability meant something

the Jets got us with Morton and then the injury to Coles' toe threaten to make the 2003 offseason shopping spree into the Redskins own version of Waterloo, but behold Terry Bradway came to the rescue and on the word of Chad Pennington made the deal to bring Coles back to NY.

now we see in NY that he is again the possession receiver he was here in 2004.

again, Gibbs and Co. knew what they were looking at with Coles and Gardner, two receivers that would not be here when this team was ready to compete for a championship.

I'm sooooooo glad Joe came back and is getting these type guys for us

Beats the hell out of the head cases we've had around here for years

If that isn't the understatement of a lifetime....

On Randy, I went to training camp yesterday and Randy was, without question, the best lineman on the field. He dominated in the 1 on 1 line drills, manhandling people and driving thme backwards. His play stood out over the rest of the lineman's play for sure. It's great to have him back, he's going to have a monster year.

Archived