Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Source: Jets' QB job isn't Pennington's yet

smithmal

Evidentially the report below was made in haste (thanks sableholic)

ESPN.com news services

Two major shoulder operations apparently aren't enough to pry the Jets' starting quarterback job away from Chad Pennington.

A team official with knowledge of the Jets' plans told the Newark Star-Ledger that Pennington has won New York's starting job. New coach Eric Mangini began camp with a four-way competition for the job, with Pennington competing against Patrick Ramsey, Kellen Clemens and Brooks Bollinger.

"We're surprised at the progress he's made," the official told the newspaper. "No one expected him to be this far along this early." The official told the Star-Ledger that Pennington surprised the organization with his arm strength and accuracy early on in camp.

Click here for the rest of the story

should be merged with that other thread, but anyways heres what I posted there:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2537001

Quote:

Cheer up Patrick Ramsey, Kellen Clemens and Brooks Bollinger. The Jets' starting quarterback job could still be yours after all.

A source with knowledge of the situation told ESPN that a Newark Star-Ledger report that Chad Pennington had won New York's starting quarterback job was incorrect.

All of these players the Gibbs' and Co. have sent packin - they never seem to work out.

Ramsey

Smoot

Gardner

Coles (very average season)

Ohelete (whatever happened to him)

Hey maybe Gibbs' and Co. know what they're doing?

LaVar Arrington - you're up next...

All of these players the Gibbs' and Co. have sent packin - they never seem to work out.

Ramsey

Smoot

Gardner

Coles (very average season)

Ohelete (whatever happened to him)

Hey maybe Gibbs' and Co. know what they're doing?

LaVar Arrington - you're up next...

Antonio Pierce?

Champ Bailey?

With PR getting five snaps in practice was there any doubt??? :doh:

What PR needs is to go somewhere and be the backup, no pressure, learn the sysytem and when he gets a chance to play with relaxed... I believe he will do great.

I think most of his problems have been he has been in a fish bowl his whole career and no one has ever really had confidence in him enough for him to feel secure.

He isn't going to be a Manning or Brady type QB, he will throw some INTs. but he can have a solid career if he could land a job where the team had confidence in him, and he in hisself.

He has to do it himself, Bubba. He's in the NFL -- people aren't going to handle him with kid gloves. Lots of qb have been in far worse situations and proved the doubters wrong and made people believe in them by consistently performing well when they got the chance.

And if he's only getting five snaps, there's a reason for it.

These events support my position that guys who constantly sang the "Pat just never got a fair chance from Gibbs" tune really were tone-deaf, but I still hope for the best for Pat because he is such a good guy.

So many people forget the Ramsey was the named the starter last year untill he got hammered.

So many people forget the Ramsey was the named the starter last year untill he got hammered.

Yes, however it seemed as if Joe named him the started because he said he would. As soon a he had the opportunity to replace him, it was done. Joe didn't want him starting.

Archived