Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT- Gibbs to Retire after season;Cowher replaces

Total nonsense on all fronts, I know someone in the "nascar circles" well and Gibbs may be at the track from time to time but he's the face of JGR, Gibbs would never take back over control from his son JD because it would be a slap in the face to his own kid. Not to mention the unmitigated success that JGR has had with JD at the helm, Stewart wins Nextel Cup and he pulls Hamlin outta thin air who's vying for a Chase birth.

And from a football standpoint one may think that with the amount of money GW's making it's almost a lock he'll be HC when JG retires.

My money say's this rumor was started by Cowher's agent, everyone know's the Dan will pay top dollar for quality coaching so what better way to strongarm a lucrative extension outta Rooney than this + a SB win.

Actually, if Gibbs finishes NEXT season (as is suggested in the PFT rumor thing, not THIS season--misleading threat title alert) and we win a SB either this season or next, I wouldn't be mad at all if he stepped back at that point and just became team prez with GW taking over as HC and Saunders staying as Associate HC--offense. This cowher nonsense is truly dumb, however. Why would the Skins blow up everything Gibbs has worked so hard to build over the past few years?

PFT, you are quite humorous. How do I get the BS flag to go up?!

But, to be honest, I really don't want to picture the post-gibbs world again, it was so horrible the first time around..I hope coach Joe stays forever! (hah, realistic).

Well I'll say this, If Gibbs leaves after this season I'll be pretty dissapointed. But if it came down to it, I'd take Cowher as head coach over Gregg Williams. And that's nothing against Gregg Williams, its just that some people are born to be coordinators not head coaches. For instance Norv Turner is a great offensive mind but the guy sucks as a head coach. Cowher is a great coach...he's tough on his players when they screw up and gives em praise when they do good. I wouldn't mind him as head coach of the Redskins at all. That being said, I hope Joe Gibbs is around forever.

Agreed that some people are born to be coordinators, not head coaches. Norv Turner is definately one of them, but I also think that if Greg Williams continues to put quality defenses out on the field, then he has definately earned the right to head coach the Redskins. Besides, with what could be no less than 5 years learning under the best, odds are he would be much more successful here than in Buffalo. Cowher is a great coach, but his identity will always be with Pittsburgh. We need to create the sense of tradition and continuity here in Washington that Pittsburgh has with Cowher.

From PFT's rumor mill www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm:

GIBBS HEADING BACK TO NASCAR AFTER 2007?

The talk in NASCAR circles (hey, we got sources everywhere) is that Joe Gibbs will retire (again) from coaching after the 2007 season and return to the NASCAR team that he owns.

And this news will only fuel speculation that Redskins owner Dan Snyder will target Steelers coach Bill Cowher to be his successor, notwithstanding the assumption that current Washington defensive coordinator Gregg Williams is in line for the job.

Cowher is under contract through 2007, and with the Steelers opening camp on Friday the chances of an extension coming any time before the end of the 2006 season will be slim and/or none.

At that point, Cowher might just finish out his contract and see what he can get on the open market. Our guess? The Redskins would pay Cowher at least two dollars for every one that the Steelers would pay.

Well, Homeristically, this will never happen! Gibbs will be here for the remainder of his contract & then some.

However, realistically, this is not so hard to believe. I don't think Snyder would step over Gregg Williams like that, because I hope he learned his lesson about doing that. People don't like being stepped on or over & when you do that, they have the tendency to quit...cold turkey (I don't know if anyone remembers Ray Rhodes...I sure as hell hope Snyder does!). Gibbs is not going to coach forever & I think, that IF Gregg Williams is not the successor, that Cowher would be a good fit for us. He has a TEAM mentality & he's a ruffian. I like Cowher, always have. And now that he has a Super Bowl Trophy under his belt, he goes from being a good coach to a GREAT coach. So, I think that could work. Hypothetically, of couse.

A bunch of B.S. again I think. Joe Gibbs keeps his word; 5 years means 5 years. And the idea that Cowher would get the nod over either of our assistants is equally as absurd to me.

Ok, Homer. Relax. First off, it's just a rumor based on something that someone's cousin's girlfriend's little brother's friend said from somewhere inside of redneck country at a Nascar event where legal drinking age drops to 8. :D So, don't get all worked up about nothing. It's not without reason that this could take place. I'm not saying that it will or won't. All I'm saying is that, let's enjoy THIS season as we run all over EVERYONE & worry about NEXT season NEXT year! If it does happen, then we can't say we didn't have enough time to know how to deal with it. This franchise & this team & this fanbase WILL go on...with or without him. It did once before, it will again. In the meantime, relax & enjoy the moment! Carpe Diem!

:point2sky :logo: :point2sky

From PFT's rumor mill www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm:

GIBBS HEADING BACK TO NASCAR AFTER 2007?

The talk in NASCAR circles (hey, we got sources everywhere) is that Joe Gibbs will retire (again) from coaching after the 2007 season and return to the NASCAR team that he owns.

And this news will only fuel speculation that Redskins owner Dan Snyder will target Steelers coach Bill Cowher to be his successor, notwithstanding the assumption that current Washington defensive coordinator Gregg Williams is in line for the job.

Cowher is under contract through 2007, and with the Steelers opening camp on Friday the chances of an extension coming any time before the end of the 2006 season will be slim and/or none.

At that point, Cowher might just finish out his contract and see what he can get on the open market. Our guess? The Redskins would pay Cowher at least two dollars for every one that the Steelers would pay.

A bunch of B.S. again I think. Joe Gibbs keeps his word; 5 years means 5 years. And the idea that Cowher would get the nod over either of our assistants is equally as absurd to me.

Since when did Pittman4two start writing for these guys?:doh: ;)

No way in Heaven will Gibbs retire and Dan Synder hire Coward...that is a bunch of :bsflag:

Peace, HTTR & TITY!!!

PFT guys. I think the mods should ban anyone that posts anything from them... Not calling you out CWC.. Holy crap, I'm posting in Stadium again. Expect the intellectual conversation to decline. :(

Actually, on the most part I agree w/ you. I'm kinda embarassed I even posted this and pretty angry that I read it in the first place. The only reason I went to the site was b/c I saw a link to it about Bunkley's arrest( I need all the ammunition I can get to ward off the dozens of Eagle's fans I have to see on a daily basis.) PFT actually does get some good info tho. I think it would be okay to post anything that PFT claims with certainty and they don't couch with conditional statements or pure speculation. But when you post the other stuff, you might as well be quoting some hick on a Cowboy's message board. The reason I posted it was that I thought it was just ridiculous how speculative it was. But yea, I probably shoulda just kept my shock to myself. You're definitely right on this one. :cheers:

The only rumor I've heard about Cowher is him becoming the coach at NC State after Chuck the Chest underachieves again next year. Cowher has the connections to the area.

Wait, maybe the rumor is that Cowher is going to take over Joe Gibbs' Nascar team...

:pooh:

JD is manning the ship fine in NASCAR. Tony won the championship last year and he may have 2 drivers in the Chase this year. There is no need for him to go back to NASCAR until he wins a Super Bowl.

Wait, I guess it could be true. We win the Super Bowl this season and then he heads back to NASCAR since we're back on top. Makes sense to me. :D

What a load of bo**ocks, We don't want him and we deff don't need him. He can stay at the steelers. GW or AS will take over when the time comes.

Apparantly, this poster felt the need to censor "bollocks" which is an commonly used swear word in the UK meaning "balls" (testicle balls). It may seem odd to us Americans that anyone would cuss by saying something like "Balls! I lost my keys!" but hey I just thought id inform everyone of what this guy is saying.

Archived