Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why We Aren't Favored by the Media.

Kindred

I would say there are a few current things which are 'blinding' the media into not regarding us so highly.

Seeing as how they are on the Defensive bandwagon, and consistantly laud praises on GW, the issue must lie with our offense.

Perceived weaknesses/misconceptions:

- Gibbs has lost touch, plays to conservatively, uses outdated schemes, etc

- Lack of faith in Brunnel. After MB's poor performance 2 years ago, the media quickly concluded he was to old, lost his touch, injury prone, we overpaid, etc. They view his resurgance as shortlived and attribute our poor performance at the end of last season partially to him.

- Lack of viable WR's outside of moss. They were nonplussed with Patton, and TJ is a running joke (haaaa pun).

Now even though we've addressed pretty much all of the issues above, the one key remaining element is MB. They simply dont trust him anymore and havent seen enough from JC to conclude anything from.

To be fair, I think everything will hinge on MB's endurance. I think he has all the tools, but his biggest weakness is that he will continue to play after getting injured to the hinderence of the team. While admirable, this does not help us. He needs to know when to take himself out, whether for injury or endurance reasons.

At some point, JC is going to need to face the lions. The reason not to will always be the same (he's got no experience). But you could ride that one forever...

Hopefully finishes the season with career numbers. He'll be able to go out on top that way and make way for JC.

Hopefully JC can get some playing time this season although not as a starter. Will keep him warm and help build rhythm going into next season.

We arent favored by the media because of Dan Snyder.

Personally, i love the guy as an owner, but he hasnt exactly endeared himself to the media. Many media guys simply hold a grudge such as Dr. Z, Lenny P, and Tom Jackson. Its not exactly professional, but it is what it is.

****em.

More importantly! Why do you care? It won't give us any advantage nor will it hurt our playoff chances. This ain't college where they get to vote. They'll run their mouths and spout crap to get you pissed; so you will listen!!!

Gibbs probably prefers to stay under the radar. He'd much rather be the dark horse than the favorite. So, they're playing right into the ole Master's hands :)

Next time you see them say or write something bad just smile like I do. Cause we all know what this team is really capable of.

More importantly! Why do you care? It won't give us any advantage nor will it hurt our playoff chances. This ain't college where they get to vote. They'll run their mouths and spout crap to get you pissed; so you will listen!!!

Gibbs probably prefers to stay under the radar. He'd much rather be the dark horse than the favorite. So, they're playing right into the ole Master's hands :)

Next time you see them say or write something bad just smile like I do. Cause we all know what this team is really capable of.

Excellent post and very true. :notworthy

we're favored by a fair amount, and most have us in the top 2 in the NFC East

I agree. It is hesitant respect, but we are favored to either win the East or win the Wild Card on most of the major sites at this point. Banks (of all people) mentioned us and Carolina as the biggest roadblocks to Seattle repeating as NFC champions. I think it appears they're not favoring us, because while ranking us top-10 in the league, there are comments that say "But will they gel in time?" etc. It's definitely a lot more respect than the media has given the 'Skins in a long time.

I'm just curious what they have against us, if theres a valid reason, if its ignorance,or simple favoritism. They seem enamored of the 'Big' moves. Like Dallas gets TO, Dolphins get RC, Ravens get Mcnair and all of a sudden they get launched into playoff worthy statuses...

You guys are right, I forgot about Snyder. He must have really worked them over a couple times lol. I'm sure theres a lot behind the scenes we probably know nothing about.

"I think he has all the tools, but his biggest weakness is that he will continue to play after getting injured to the hinderence of the team. While admirable, this does not help us. He needs to know when to take himself out, whether for injury or endurance reasons."

Brunell will force himself to stay in as much as he can because he knows that once he gives Campbell a chance he may never get his job back.

We arent favored by the media because of Dan Snyder.

Personally, i love the guy as an owner, but he hasnt exactly endeared himself to the media. Many media guys simply hold a grudge such as Dr. Z, Lenny P, and Tom Jackson. Its not exactly professional, but it is what it is.

****em.

Look, Danny Boy made his own bed. He's been arrogant, overbearing and obnoxious. Not surprising that the media hates him and the Skins as a result.

Hopefully finishes the season with career numbers. He'll be able to go out on top that way and make way for JC.

Hopefully JC can get some playing time this season although not as a starter. Will keep him warm and help build rhythm going into next season.

Dude this is crazy. We are already talking about next next season!

My opinion on the media bias doesn't really have anything to do with your reasoning kindred, but I believe it does exist. I believe it lies in our record for the last 10-15 years. Blame it on the flux in ownership, crappy coaching, high priced/over the hill players, whatever... the bottom line is we sucked. We lost the support of the media after our haydays of the 80s and our last superbowl. There was the faithful in the media that would go out on a limb and give us a shot at the playoffs and what did these teams do in return? So it became easy to pick against the team, because we were a team that was a letdown. We were poorly managed from the top down. But now, with a few years behind him, Danny is starting to make the smart decisions. He isn't going after the biggest names just for the sake of putting all the stars on his team. He's getting the "rising stars". The guys that are reaching the peaks of their careers. He's starting to put a team together for a run that will be a contender for several years, not one of the former "superbowl or bust" teams. So have faith, outside of the Dr. Zs and such, I think you'll see the media coming back around again. Take a look already after this past season, ESPN has been giving much love.

Most sports writers only go by stats from past seasons... they don't factor in the possibility that some players will break loose. A good example of this is Moss. A year ago he was just an average reciever and most writers would say "not any improvement over Coles... he may be even worse... Snyder is overpaying again... etc" Now he is basically the only thing that the pundits say is good about our team. Just think about it!!! It's true that ARE and Lloyd really haven't had great careers so far... but who says they won't break out and get 1000 yards this year? Also, they only consider big names. Most analysts don't factor in coaching, chemistry, and teamwork. We don't have many big well-known players on our D beyond Taylor... but as all skins fans know... that doesn't mean squat. Our D will be top 5 again this year. We don't need a bunch of Strahans and Jerry Porters to be good.

BTW... I dunno if any of you read the recent Athlon sports magazine NFL preview.... it was terrible... here's how they ranked the NFC East

1. Cowboys (of course... it's all because of TO. If TO had gone somewhere else, I guarantee most writers would have the Cowgirls in dead last. Think about it!! As I said before, big names are all they care about..)

2. Eagles (i dunno where they got this... LMAO)

3. Skins (Brunell is too old... blah blah blah... beyond that thats really all they had to say. They said we'd be "solid"... but "solid" in the NFC east can mean 3rd place... what a load of BS)

4. Giants (I'd put the Giants in 2nd place behind the Skins... and definitely at least in front of the Eagles... lmao)

I think he has all the tools, but his biggest weakness is that he will continue to play after getting injured to the hinderence of the team. While admirable, this does not help us. He needs to know when to take himself out, whether for injury or endurance reasons.

You know, I've heard this sentiment a few times around these threads and I have to say that the blame should not be put on Mark. A player is going to try their best to play even through injury...the fact that they believe they can do it is critical to their success..they need that type of confidence and mental toughness....if Mark's play starts to slide due to an injury I think it *has* to be GIBBS job to pull him out...

my :2cents:

You know when I first joined ES and read post after post of Joe Gibbs is God, Joe knows best, blah blah blah......... It made me sick. I was pissed after the Ramsey incident and bashed Gibbs and company in more than a few posts. However now that I've spent more hours on this board than I proabably should I've become a convert. The guy is a football genius and a personell God. What JG's brings to the table is the ability to put people together that can suceed as a unit. He's done it with football and racing. If you think putting a Super Bowl team together is hard I believe it's even harder in racing but Joe's done it.

So I said all of that to say this. What the mediots are missing is the fact that Danny has assembled arguably the finest coaching staff in the history of the game. If they saw enough in the FA's we picked up to sign them then I'll trust their judgement. They know far more about the game than the mediots and supposed ANALysts that spew ignorance on a daily basis. If they think that the Tuna can control TO when he couldn't even control MEshawn then they're idiots. Dallas signed one player to a position that wasn't even a blaring need and suddenly they're the SB darlings. What a bunch of jackasses. I get all my football news right here on ES and only go to ESPN for other sports. I quit watching NFL network all together. Nothing to see there, move along.

Bottom line the mediots and ANALysts are mostly anal idiots who hate on the Skins because Danny doesn't kiss their asses. Why should he? We don't need them to win football games. If anything they merely fuel the passion and desire for our players to go out there and prove them wrong. So let them keep hating, as a skins fan you should be used to it by now. We could win the Super Bowl this year, lose no players and sign two first rounders and second and still be picked to fail the following season. Whatever, who cares, they suck, get over it, good bye. :2cents:

On my command ZoEd....unleash hell.....

You know when I first joined ES and read post after post of Joe Gibbs is God, Joe knows best, blah blah blah......... It made me sick. I was pissed after the Ramsey incident and bashed Gibbs and company in more than a few posts. However now that I've spent more hours on this board than I proabably should I've become a convert. The guy is a football genius and a personell God. What JG's brings to the table is the ability to put people together that can suceed as a unit. He's done it with football and racing. If you think putting a Super Bowl team together is hard I believe it's even harder in racing but Joe's done it.

So I said all of that to say this. What the mediots are missing is the fact that Danny has assembled arguably the finest coaching staff in the history of the game. If they saw enough in the FA's we picked up to sign them then I'll trust their judgement. They know far more about the game than the mediots and supposed ANALysts that spew ignorance on a daily basis. If they think that the Tuna can control TO when he couldn't even control MEshawn then they're idiots. Dallas signed one player to a position that wasn't even a blaring need and suddenly they're the SB darlings. What a bunch of jackasses. I get all my football news right here on ES and only go to ESPN for other sports. I quit watching NFL network all together. Nothing to see there, move along.

Bottom line the mediots and ANALysts are mostly anal idiots who hate on the Skins because Danny doesn't kiss their asses. Why should he? We don't need them to win football games. If anything they merely fuel the passion and desire for our players to go out there and prove them wrong. So let them keep hating, as a skins fan you should be used to it by now. We could win the Super Bowl this year, lose no players and sign two first rounders and second and still be picked to fail the following season. Whatever, who cares, they suck, get over it, good bye. :2cents:

:D

Really though....the love will come...everyone loves a winner...including the media!

Archived