Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

portis down to 210lbs

sabadahabada

portis at 210 means more stretch plays, more draws, more two back sets with both betts and sellers.

portis doesn't need to be 220-235 to run in this offense. saunders runs an offense based around mismatches and timing not around power. his line provides the muscle, his skill position players provide the timing. luckily we have a solid line that can allow this to work. i am not worried at all about the weight, and honestly for as tough as he was last year, there were some runs that he got tackled on where he would have pulled away from when he was in denver. one that comes to mind is the 40 yarder against the bears.

ya i agree that betts will be even more valuable this year and should be given the opportunity to share a bigger load than before. not too big, and i dont see him anywhere near 700, because he shouldnt be in there THAT much cuz it would limit portis and our incredible receiving corps,

plus betts should be used to get some tough yards so portis doesnt have to worry about both home runs and trench yards...he can just focus more on one.

I admit 700 would be too much for LB. But bare in mind that even if he averaged 30 yrds per game (assuming he plays all 16), he would have close to 500 yrds for the season. Some how i can see him averaging closer to about 35-40 yds per. This would give him around 600 yrds for the season.

I'm not too concerned with his durability. Think about it- Saunders has been all over Betts, and from his past in KC, it looks like he likes to use two backs. I'd rather see a portis who will get 3 yard, 2, then 45. Dont get me wrong, he was unbelievable last year- but this year i think is gonna be when we see the Denver Broncos Portis.

Article from his weight GAIN last year...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/08/09/AR2005080901488.html

"I picked up 20 pounds getting in the weight room," Portis, 23, said, sweating after the morning practice. "I guess age [contributed]. I'm getting old."

The third-year veteran chuckled, then turned serious.

"Pretty much it was just working [out]. I knew what it was going to take. I knew I needed to pick up weight for the type of offense that we're running. In the two-yard gains, I probably need this weight to turn 'em into four or five."

OK, maybe I'm just reading too much into things.

But seriously. Since when did the words "power running" become a bad thing?

If I'm not mistaken, Jerome Bettis has more rings than Barry Sanders.

It seems like every year in the NFL there's a few teams who announce that "well, that power running got them where they are, but I've got this plan . . . "

And as far as I'm aware, the teams that say that always get worse.

I'm gonna keep repeating: "I trust in Gibbs. I trust in Gibbs." But in the words of every character in Star Wars (except Darth Vader): I've got a bad feeling about this.

Holmes, eat your heart out!

Will anyone be dissappointed if he doesn't put up Faulk/Holmes/Johnson numbers?

I'm expecting it but won't worry too much if he doesn't.

nope. there's only one ball.

on paper anyway, we have a better WR corps than KC did, so it may reduce his yardage total a bit.

i expect the avg. per carry and TDs to go up, though.

CP has proven he can morph into whatever RB the team asks for. His first season, he was running small in a big back offense. This brought down his YPC because he was getting mauled at the line. 2nd season, he ran big in the same offense and improved his YPC and TDs.

Now, he's returning to small in a spread offense. Wait until he hits open field. He'll be all alone after the first 15 yards and then he'll be GONE. :D

It feels so GOOOOOOD having Betts as our back up. So many teams would be SOL if they lost their #1 back. I'll admit, I would hate it if CP went down, but is it possible we have the best backup RB in the league?

This will probably be Bett's last year here but what a great insurance policy.

I seriously doubt that Betts is the best backup in the league. In fact, I am definitely sure that he is not the best backup in the league.

Portis lack of big yardege ganners wasn't because of his weight last year.It was because of the predictable play calling and lack of more go to guys on offense. so skins fans just buckle up and get ready for a the portis ride of your life.

Actually there was this one play against Chicago where Portis should've went all the way but some dude caught up to him and brought him down. It would've been a 90 yarder but I think the extra weight slowed him down. If you saw him running in Denver and you saw him running last year you could see he's not quite as fast as he used to be.

Archived