Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

portis down to 210lbs

sabadahabada

This is why Betts will be more valued than ever. I can see him taking alot of the pressure off of CP, to keep him fresh going into the playoffs.

Prediction?

CP= 1450yds

LB= 700yrds

ya i agree that betts will be even more valuable this year and should be given the opportunity to share a bigger load than before. not too big, and i dont see him anywhere near 700, because he shouldnt be in there THAT much cuz it would limit portis and our incredible receiving corps,

plus betts should be used to get some tough yards so portis doesnt have to worry about both home runs and trench yards...he can just focus more on one.

I see us using the pass to set up the run, and running the ball a LOT in the 2nd half. Which means CP will lose carries from last year, but will be around the same amount of yards because the D wont be able to focus in on him. I also see those 2nd half carries being split almost 60/40 CP/LB. Although Saunders is calling the plays and is in control of the offense, Gibbs runs the team, and I think he will influence saunders to be a little more conservative in the 2nd half, because at times Gibbs was ultaconservative with 3 runs with CP hope to get a first down, if not, punt, with any 4th quarter lead. And I am glad he lost weight, as long as that equates to increased speed, I remember hearing last year that CP put on all this muscle and didn't lose a step, which could not have been true. CP should have more home runs than the NATS.

as long as Portis stays healthy and breaks 1500+ again, the weight wouldn't bother me. It does seem like he was not used to the extra weight. There were many times during games last year where it looked like Portis could have broken one, but didn't. He is more than capable of getting a run longer than 47 yards, or even 64 yards. I hope this can work out and that his health stays strong.

I see us using the pass to set up the run, and running the ball a LOT in the 2nd half. Which means CP will lose carries from last year, but will be around the same amount of yards because the D wont be able to focus in on him. I also see those 2nd half carries being split almost 60/40 CP/LB. Although Saunders is calling the plays and is in control of the offense, Gibbs runs the team, and I think he will influence saunders to be a little more conservative in the 2nd half, because at times Gibbs was ultaconservative with 3 runs with CP hope to get a first down, if not, punt, with any 4th quarter lead. And I am glad he lost weight, as long as that equates to increased speed, I remember hearing last year that CP put on all this muscle and didn't lose a step, which could not have been true. CP should have more home runs than the NATS.

As much as everyone thinks Saunders is bringing in some high-flying circus act to FedEx it just ain't true. Last year, KC had 5 less carries than the Redskins. Both Gibbs and Saunders are Coryell (sp?) disciples and approach the game the same way. They both will run the ball down a teams throat if given the chance, but also like to take a few risks deep here and there. Saunders will add a few wrinkles, but don't expect an entirely different offense out there this year.

as long as Portis stays healthy and breaks 1500+ again, the weight wouldn't bother me.

I don't think he'll rush for over 1300. Our offense willl be scoring frequently and our defense will not give up many points. This will allow Betts to get more carries and Portis to rest.

I guess that there could be cause for concern, but really I think that as long as we can get him into space the better off he will be. Maybe Ladell is bulking up for those inside yards. I read a comment that saunders really thought very highly of Betts. Maybe he wasn't bluffing when he said that he was going to find a way to get him involved.

It feels so GOOOOOOD having Betts as our back up. So many teams would be SOL if they lost their #1 back. I'll admit, I would hate it if CP went down, but is it possible we have the best backup RB in the league?

This will probably be Bett's last year here but what a great insurance policy.

I worry about the shoulders at any weight, especially when lighter!!!

Dont worry! Saunders will spread the field more both in formation and play-calling...

Gibbs used multiple TE bunch sets and their were usually 8-9 and sometimes 10 players in the box to hit Portis...Now w/the pre-dominate 3 WR sets that we will run their will likely only be 6 maybe 7 in the box...

The weight loss probably means CP wont be doing the hard work he did last year, look to Betts and Co for that, it could also mean CP will be a redskin a lot longer with out doing the heavy blocking that he has been doing....I have faith and trust in the skins coaching panel they know exactly what they are doing.....CP is going to have a great season

You've got to respect a player who has that degree of control over his playing weight... Last year coaches wanted him to put on 15 lbs and he did, now they ask him to take it off and its done.

That's my initial impression as well. It's very impressive.

As for people questioning his durability now, from the sounds of it, Saunders LOVES Betts so I think you'll see CP spelled relatively often.

As much as everyone thinks Saunders is bringing in some high-flying circus act to FedEx it just ain't true. Last year, KC had 5 less carries than the Redskins. Both Gibbs and Saunders are Coryell (sp?) disciples and approach the game the same way. They both will run the ball down a teams throat if given the chance, but also like to take a few risks deep here and there. Saunders will add a few wrinkles, but don't expect an entirely different offense out there this year.

None of us want a entirely new revamped system. We found our niche last year with the offense. Saunders simply brings a twist of genius, a big playbook but essentially the same philosophy. I see Clinton benefitting from this most because he'll probably have about the same stats he did last year but on a lot less carries, which mean he'll **** on people being more healthy in the playoffs.

HAIL :helmet:

I never understood why Gibbs didn't use Betts more last year. I always thought he was a solid back who could post substantial gains. He may not be as good as CP, but he has a lot of talent. With Portis losing weight I don't think he'll be pounding it like he did last year, but if that increases his longevity then I'm perfectly fine with that. Portis has indicated he is more comfortable without the extra ten or twenty pounds.

I worry about the shoulders at any weight, especially when lighter!!!

It would be tight to go back and forth with CP and Betts, especially when CP tires down the defenses, and Ladell to come in and truck a few people. I wonder how defenses would hold up, if all 3 running backs were in the mix.

I agree, there were times last year when the lighter CP could've broken a long run, but he got walked down from behind. The danger element when he was with Denver was that he was a scoring threat on any play.

In regards to this year's offense being different- of course it will be. Look at what Saunders did with the underachieving WR's in KC, and look at what he's got to work with here. Teams will be unable to focus on Moss and Cooley alone. They will also be unable to stack 8 in the box to just stop CP. Now, they will pick their poison. Go ahead and double team Moss. Lloyd or Randle El will be open, as will Cooley. Wanna double team 2 of those receivers? We'll run the stretch running play with CP and Betts all day long.

It's gonna be a FUN YEAR.

I like Betts as a backup; however, CP will get the load. Betts will get in when we are winning big in the fourth quarter; otherwise, CP will be in the game. I would only play Betts under the following conditions:

1.) We are up by more than 14 in the fourth quarter.

2.) CP just made a 20+ yard carry and needs a one play breather.

3.) CP is injured.

Those are the only reasons because CP is much more explosive and he's the best blocker in the NFC on 3rd down situations.

I like Betts as a backup; however, CP will get the load. Betts will get in when we are winning big in the fourth quarter; otherwise, CP will be in the game. I would only play Betts under the following conditions:

1.) We are up by more than 14 in the fourth quarter.

2.) CP just made a 20+ yard carry and needs a one play breather.

3.) CP is injured.

Those are the only reasons because CP is much more explosive and he's the best blocker in the NFC on 3rd down situations.

Coach Gibbs gives Clinton the option of coming out of a game whenever he feels the need. Betts will get many touches this year; probably more than last year. :2cents:

Back to the point, let's not forget 210 lb CP will be lined up directly behind a 280 lb FB named Mike Sellers (aka "The Pride of Walla Walla").

Archived