Extremeskins

Skins.com: Moss: 'We Don't Need' Possession Receiver

LT Smash

http://www.redskins.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=7926

Moss: 'We Don't Need' Possession Receiver

By Gary Fitzgerald

Redskins.com

July 12, 2006

Santana Moss begins his second season with the Redskins. Last year, he emerged as an elite receiver, catching 84 passes for a franchise-record 1,483 yards and nine touchdowns. This year, Moss has a new offense to learn, along with new teammates at wide receiver in Antwaan Randle El and Brandon Lloyd. Moss spoke with Redskins.com and media during the June 16-18 mini-camp:

Q: There seems to be some talk lately about the Redskins being capable of making a run deep into the playoffs. How is the team approaching its goals this season?

A: "Every team in the NFL, the first thing they are going to tell you is that the Super Bowl is their goal. That's how it's supposed to be. You still have to take into consideration that 31 other teams are talking the same noise and only two of them get to go. So as long as you are handling your business and preparing yourself to be there, then you may be there. Until then, I can't talk about it until I'm there."

MossOpenField8.jpg

Santana Moss

Q: How far along are you and your teammates in learning Al Saunders' offense?

A: "We've gone through OTAs and mini-camp and we've had a period to learn most of it right now to this point. I think we're at the level where we have it--we just have to go out there and execute. Coach Saunders is the real deal. You understand why his offenses are always in the top at the end of the year because he's the type of coach who shows you what he wants on the field. You just have to go out there and carry out your assignment."

Q: Some say the offense lacks a true possession receiver, someone with height who can make a 10-yard catch over the middle. Do you agree with that assessment?

A: "It's not a problem. We don't need it. I think we have plenty of guys who can catch the ball and make plays. We have tight ends that can catch the ball, we have fullbacks that can catch the ball, and we have running backs that can catch the ball. It's always about moving the ball in this league. It doesn't matter if they catch it for 10 yards or 50 yards, sometimes you want the touchdown instead of 10 yards. If everyone can score touchdowns out of one catch, then I wouldn't worry about a possession receiver."

Q: Having spent the offseason with Antwaan Randle El and Brandon Lloyd, what are your impressions of them so far?

A: "They can make me better. If a guy in my situation doesn't look at it that way, then he hasn't really been paying attention to how this game works. I think if you have receivers who can take a little attention off of you, with their abilities, then they can make you that much more of a threat. We all saw what happened to me last year late in the season, when teams started doubling and tripling me, to the point where I got frustrated. My whole focus then was just to be productive and consistent. That is the same focus I carry out every year. Now with our new gang of receivers, and knowing how this offense runs, I am looking forward to the things that we can do together."

Q: Good chemistry?

A: "We have been in OTAs together, we have a friendship down, and we are all down the field making plays together. It's not hard to get that when you put the sandlot teams together. It's not hard to go and put up some points on somebody, when you are familiar with [teammates]. These are the guys that are going to be there for you. You have to look at it and say, 'Let's get a feel for each other now.' That makes it fun to be out there competing with these guys every day."

Q: Was the team hindered at all by Mark Brunell not being able to participate in the June mini-camp? [Mark sat out the mini-camp due to a fractured finger.]

A: "We know what Mark can do. I think it helped us to get a better feel for Jason Campbell and Todd Collins, because you never know what will happen through the course of a season. In OTAs, we had Mark out there rifling the ball around. I'm just happy to have three good quarterbacks out there, because you never know who can step in there and do what they do. We know what Mark can do. I'm just looking forward to having him out there regardless."

Q: What are your impressions of new QB Todd Collins?

A: "Todd is good. You can tell he's been doing his thing. You haven't seen him on the field at Kansas City, but you can tell he learned a lot. He came in here pretty much showing us how this offense needs to be run. It's a good thing that we have a quarterback who knows where the ball is supposed to be placed in this offense, because of all the routes and patterns. Just to have him here is a plus for us."

Q: How has Jason Campbell looked this offseason?

A: "He has looked pretty good. It was not easy for him being a first-year quarterback last year. He had to learn a new offense--and then this year he has another offense to learn. So it's not easy being him right now. But he has the arm. I think once he grasps this thing, he'll be all right."

I like the remarks about Collins, Thats a signing that nobody talks about but has already had an impact.

...and probably why Todd should start the season as the #2 QB. If Brunell goes down, Todd comes right in knowing the whole deal. I understand we all want to see Jason's talent but we are shooting for a Super Bowl. There's (unfortunately) no time for a learning curve.

I enjoyed the interview. Santana's the man. :)

Moss just comes across as a very mature and team-oriented player. He's very easy to cheer for!

Yes! Good points, he's a team player, a team leader and already a team record holder. It would be very hard not to cheer this guy!!!! :cheers:

Guest gayformoss

:helmet: Santana Moss sounds like he has his head on straight.

I am so excited about the Skins!

I think we are going to roll through some teams this year!

:cheers:

...and probably why Todd should start the season as the #2 QB. If Brunell goes down, Todd comes right in knowing the whole deal. I understand we all want to see Jason's talent but we are shooting for a Super Bowl. There's (unfortunately) no time for a learning curve.

I couldn't agree more with you comment. I too would like to see Jason in there as the 2nd string quarterback, but I would have a better feeling if Collins were in if Brunell goes down.

I agree. I got the feeling from Santana that Jason Campbell isn't NFL ready yet. Of course, he said he looked pretty good, but he also said alot of things about getting used to the new offense, and those words are usually used for someone who isn't performing extremely well.

First off, thanks for posting that. That was a interesting read, it covered alot of ground.

I love when Moss says that the presence of A.R.E. and B.Lloyd will make him even better. IMO that and the fact that Portis will also benefit from their arrival is what is going to make this offense (dare I say?) dominant.

I know this sounds outlandish in July, BUT, what if Todd Collins is the best looking QB in pre-season, throws 8 TD passes in 4 games at 62% completion percentage and Mark Brunell looks like the same old Mark Brunell except older?

Chances are Brunell will start week one regardless of what happens in camp. He earned it with his performance last year and unless he gets hurt I doubt we have any sort of controversy on our hands.

Of course what would a Redskins training camp be without cheering for the backup to start?

yea. him and sometimes sellers. i dont know what everybody's problem with that is.

I love Sellers, and I think Brunell is comfortable with him. I expect Sellers to have another 3 or 4 tds this season. Underrated overachiever.

I know this sounds outlandish in July, BUT, what if Todd Collins is the best looking QB in pre-season, throws 8 TD passes in 4 games at 62% completion percentage and Mark Brunell looks like the same old Mark Brunell except older?

I would go with Mark at first this season. Not only because he earned it and is our #1 guy no matter what anyone says but also because of his regular season familiarity with Portis, Moss, and Cooley- who are already our established threats. Throw in the fact that he's seen it all and has the mobility needed on broken plays and you have our best option.

I am liking the acquisition of Todd more and more though. He knows Al Saunders' offense back and forth.

What people need to remember is how fresh Brunell looked last year at this time. By the end of pre-season 85-90% of the people here thought he should be starting. Some were in denial but most knew he was the man for the job. He's had some time off to rejuvinate. I see no reason why he won't be fresh yet again.

Moss is a class act. He need to have another blowout season to silence his critics. It's good to see that one successful season hasn't gone to his head. He still needs to prove himself.

It's funny how reserved he is compared to Portis. Moss believes in his actions doing all the talking. And Portis...well, we know he's a performer.

Thats why the littlest things could make the biggest difference in any season. Collins is not a big time qb, but its like having another coach out there w/ the qbs, and during game days he will be even more valuable b/c he can shows guys what they need to be doing. Great additions in my opinion.

what worries me is what he said about campbell. saying he has the tools and just needs time is the PC way of saying he cant grasp the system. i understand hes young, and hes never been in a system for more than one year, but after hearing all the talk about him going everywhere with his playbook and living at redskins park, im dissapointed that it isnt seeming to translate onto the field. . . .

HTTR

Archived