Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Skins.com: Moss: 'We Don't Need' Possession Receiver

LT Smash

I disagree with the substance of the argument that Cooley is our possession receiver...

IMO, a possession reciever isn't just a guy who catches the short stuff... It's gotta be a WR who is able to hook, curl and go over the middle... Possibly taking a hit and hanging onto the ball. The routes the possession receiver runs is just as important than the actual catching the ball. I don't believe we really have this guy... Cooley, being a TE will matchup more with Linebackers and Safeties... He'll also spend time blocking blitzers...

Of course, ARE will be the guy who runs the short and underneath stuff that should occupy nickle backs, safeties and linebackers in a zone.

Thoughts?

Comparing this to last year, I think Gibbs is looking for a person who can make the right decisions and know when to throw it away rather than an explosive QB who can get 300 yards per game. What Brunell has shown in his time here is that he can make those decisions VERY well.

Right now I'm in agreement with Gibbs that Collins should be number 2. Even with his limited experience, the guy knows this offense and is less likely to get confused on a play and make the wrong throw, even if he isn't the best at reading defenses yet.

Campbell's time will come. Just look at Philip Rivers. The guy was an even higher pick than Campbell and isn't seeing his first time til his 3rd year. We just have to be patient.

I disagree with the substance of the argument that Cooley is our possession receiver...

IMO, a possession reciever isn't just a guy who catches the short stuff... It's gotta be a WR who is able to hook, curl and go over the middle... Possibly taking a hit and hanging onto the ball. The routes the possession receiver runs is just as important than the actual catching the ball. I don't believe we really have this guy... Cooley, being a TE will matchup more with Linebackers and Safeties... He'll also spend time blocking blitzers...

Of course, ARE will be the guy who runs the short and underneath stuff that should occupy nickle backs, safeties and linebackers in a zone.

Thoughts?

but we line up cooley in a bunch of places, and hes usually the one to go across the middle to make the catch in traffic. also, when al saunders has a good tight end to throw to, that guy can basically be considered a wide reciever (tony G). to me, a possession reciever is just the guy who makes the tough grab to secure a first down, or the one you want in traffic at the goal line. cooley fulfills both of these needs.

in retrospect Dan Snyder was correct in 2001 that Moss and not Rod Gardner was the pick to make at #15 overall. Schottenheimer at the time dismissed the suggestion of Moss based on his size alone, but didn't consider the difference in the players' abilities to make plays in the open field and be a deep threat, and how that could change an offense.

this was one example where Snyder got it right and the 'expert' got it wrong. Gardner has turned out to be a bust.

and Scottenheimer wasn't the only one that had Gardner rated ahead of Moss on size and durability issues. You can count in Peter King, Dr. Z and host of others, including Redskins fans such as myself :)

always glad to be proven wrong when it helps the team :D

Archived