Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

*gibbs Role?*

GestMuddaTruckaEver

With Gregg Williams, Greg Blache, and Jerry Grey running the defense, Bug'es and Saunders running the offence, and Danny Smith taking care of the teams units, what is Joe Gibbs role in a coaching capacity? I understand that he is a huge player in the front office, but without him strategizing, what else is there for him to do? Im too young to know from his first campaign, but I am lead to believe he isn't one to be extremely vocal in the locker room, motivation wise.

Before i am absolutely ripped to shreads, please know i would trust Joe Gibbs with my life, and my support for him is and always will be there. I just want to know what some people think his main duties will be this year. . .

HTTR!

I think Joes role will be as the Head Coach, and General Manager. Keeping things organized requires a lot of his time. I suspect Joe will still have a lot of input in the offense just not be calling the plays. It will still be a Joe Gibbs team, just with additional ideas on the offense, I'm sure Gibbs has Dan Snyder's approval to do what ever he decides needed done. I'm not sure that titles mean much the way things are set up right now, we have people that are capable of being head coaches or coordinators coaching positions. Its an interesting setup with a lot of high powered football minds. Its going to be an interesting season and more.

I think Joes role will be as the Head Coach, and General Manager. Keeping things organized requires a lot of his time. I suspect Joe will still have a lot of input in the offense just not be calling the plays. It will still be a Joe Gibbs team, just with additional ideas on the offense, I'm sure Gibbs has Dan Snyder's approval to do what ever he decides needed done. I'm not sure that titles mean much the way things are set up right now, we have people that are capable of being head coaches or coordinators coaching positions. Its an interesting setup with a lot of high powered football minds. Its going to be an interesting season and more.

You hit it right on the head. He's the General now. He lets the O & D coordinators call the plays but he still has the final say so in any given situation.

IMO, he's in the process of grooming our next HC. He's building continuity in this organization which should spell success for many years to come. HAIL!

I suspect Joe will still have a lot of input in the offense just not be calling the plays.

Its an interesting setup with a lot of high powered football minds.

Its going to be an interesting season and more.

Agreed on all counts. Joe Gibbs will continue to downplay his role, but to exclude himself completely from the offense would not be in the best interest of the Washington Redskins, and the best interest of the Washington Redskins is what he's all about.

My guess is that instead of working as much on the creation and planning of the offense with the staff, he can now take a look at what they've got and make suggestions on how to improve it even more. With less of the overall offensive planning burden he can focus on identifying weaknesses of the opposing defenses and ways to exploit them.

One of his most incredible assets has always been the ability to adjust. Joe Gibbs' direct input into an offense run by Al Saunders with Joe Bugel, Don Breaux and staff is an absolute dream.

My guess is that instead of working as much on the creation and planning of the offense with the staff, he can now take a look at what they've got and make suggestions on how to improve it even more. With less of the overall offensive planning burden he can focus on identifying weaknesses of the opposing defenses and ways to exploit them.

One of his most incredible assets has always been the ability to adjust. Joe Gibbs' direct input into an offense run by Al Saunders with Joe Bugel, Don Breaux and staff is an absolute dream.

Exactly - he is still going to be involved in the game planning, making adjsutments...but he is also going to be evaluating as well. Constantly working to improve the team...I am on pins and needles for this season...god I am so excited...

With Gregg Williams, Greg Blache, and Jerry Grey running the defense, Bug'es and Saunders running the offence, and Danny Smith taking care of the teams units, what is Joe Gibbs role in a coaching capacity? I understand that he is a huge player in the front office, but without him strategizing, what else is there for him to do? Im too young to know from his first campaign, but I am lead to believe he isn't one to be extremely vocal in the locker room, motivation wise.

Before i am absolutely ripped to shreads, please know i would trust Joe Gibbs with my life, and my support for him is and always will be there. I just want to know what some people think his main duties will be this year. . .

HTTR!

You would trust him with your life????!?!?!?

Gee I know you like the guy but come on!!!!!!

gibbs is positioning himself so when he exits, he won't be missed (as much). i wouldn't be surprised to see him bow out after this year. whether we win the superbowl or not, he's accomplished his goal - restore a winning tradition for the skins. we're a playoff (if not superbowl) calibre team and the other coaches we have are quite capable of continuing what gibbs has established.

having said that, gibbs is a hero of mine and i love seeing him on the sidelines. if nothing else, just knowing his "aura" is motivation for the organization, players and fans is enough to want him until he's 90.

Great responses from everyone. I think his job is to manage, motivate, encourage, and make crucial decisions on gameday and personnel/business suggestions in the front office. Snyder trusts Gibbs to do whatever he is going to do, I'm sure. Sounds like Gibbs will be playing to his strengths this season...being that he is a HOFer and all...

HTTR!

Gibbs still has the final say on important decisions regarding the teams direction and I'm sure this will be more evident as the season gets underway and there are actually important decisions to be made. As long as he's not relegated to the shoulder for players to cry on telling them it's ok to cry like Vermiel was Im happy.

I, too, love Joe Gibbs.. so I hope this comment isn't twisted around... but I'm hopeful, and will be somewhat glad, if Joe isn't necessarily involved in the play-calling. I think we got way too conservative at the end of some games last year, which kept games close and even contributed to a couple losses, IMO... again, love the man, but just my two cents.

Perhaps Andyman could tell me if I'm wrong but this is what I'd imagine his main responsibilities as:

1) Final say on all personnel (i.e. the draft, the 53 man roster, the 45 man game day roster)

2) good cop to Williams/Saunders bad cop when motivating players

3) Teaching/mentoring of the staff

Top assistants want to be groomed by top coaches. Don't underestimate just how good it looks to other owners that you learned from a HOF coach "how things are done."

Perhaps Andyman could tell me if I'm wrong but this is what I'd imagine his main responsibilities as:

1) Final say on all personnel (i.e. the draft, the 53 man roster, the 45 man game day roster)

2) good cop to Williams/Saunders bad cop when motivating players

3) Teaching/mentoring of the staff

Top assistants want to be groomed by top coaches. Don't underestimate just how good it looks to other owners that you learned from a HOF coach "how things are done."

Best answer yet, Dirk. He's "Dad."

Gibbs is the final say. If saunders isnt sure on something or kod of stmped and dead locked between something gibbs will make the yes no,, gibbs will also determind roster, draft whos staritng whos not, he will probably get advice from saunders, and williams, but it'll be his say (Mostly on offense, defense It'll be Greggs say via Gibbs, but thats different)He'll motivate players on the sideline, giv ethem advice if they are playing poorly to play better, be a mentor, a teacher, to everyone on staf fnad roster (From Synder,to saunders/williams, to our practice squad)

I understand that he is a huge player in the front office, but without him strategizing, what else is there for him to do?

What makes you think that he won't be strategizing? I guarantee he will be elbow deep in the offensive gameplanning with Saunders.

• 4 months later...

Its all about blame, the owners need to shake things up to save them from a failed investment from the "git-go" and that is over M. Saunders and his 700 page play book. If Mr Gibbs were to step back into the actual coaching and removed M. Saunders from the management of the offense, the Redskins stats would be fantastic right now. Review Mondays Washington Post for more details concering the changes that have happened within the team. What good is a playbook and Millions of Dollars if it is costing you the "W"? Is it Brunell's fault? No- it is management not taking repsonsibility and really looking at their mistakes. The players bust their tail, including Mark Brunell, he knows what is on the line and every play called is made by the man upstairs- calling the shot, not the QB. So instead of doing the right thing, make a scape goat and blame it on the QB, even though he isn't the one calling the plays? How truly shaming by the management- they need to take responsibility for their choices made prior to this season by brining in AL Saunders- that is where the fault lays. The R-Skins when directly "Coached" by Joe Gibbs made it to the play-offs last year- the only difference MAJOR between this year and last (besides the L's) is Al Saunders- the million dollar mistake. Terminate his contract, let Joe get back into doing what he is supposed to do- "COACH" and let the Redskins win- again. Instead of idiotic plays that don't work, taking motivated players and switching their positions which they were very familiar with, to non-effective positions which limit their potentials aka- Chris Cooley- and focusing on the power houses of the team- which we all know well. It isn't about the QB, its about blame- and sure that is the business but the reality of it is- getting rid of Al Saunders and that costly mistake. Sure Brunell, messed up- this past game- but only one interception in the past six games and they bench him? This is how management acts responsible- "blame the troops when they are in command"?

Its all about blame, the owners need to shake things up to save them from a failed investment from the "git-go" and that is over M. Saunders and his 700 page play book. If Mr Gibbs were to step back into the actual coaching and removed M. Saunders from the management of the offense, the Redskins stats would be fantastic right now. Review Mondays Washington Post for more details concering the changes that have happened within the team. What good is a playbook and Millions of Dollars if it is costing you the "W"? Is it Brunell's fault? No- it is management not taking repsonsibility and really looking at their mistakes. The players bust their tail, including Mark Brunell, he knows what is on the line and every play called is made by the man upstairs- calling the shot, not the QB. So instead of doing the right thing, make a scape goat and blame it on the QB, even though he isn't the one calling the plays? How truly shaming by the management- they need to take responsibility for their choices made prior to this season by brining in AL Saunders- that is where the fault lays. The R-Skins when directly "Coached" by Joe Gibbs made it to the play-offs last year- the only difference MAJOR between this year and last (besides the L's) is Al Saunders- the million dollar mistake. Terminate his contract, let Joe get back into doing what he is supposed to do- "COACH" and let the Redskins win- again. Instead of idiotic plays that don't work, taking motivated players and switching their positions which they were very familiar with, to non-effective positions which limit their potentials aka- Chris Cooley- and focusing on the power houses of the team- which we all know well. It isn't about the QB, its about blame- and sure that is the business but the reality of it is- getting rid of Al Saunders and that costly mistake. Sure Brunell, messed up- this past game- but only one interception in the past six games and they bench him? This is how management acts responsible- "blame the troops when they are in command"?

Archived