Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

http://mmajunkie.com/news/20713/indiana-commission-cro-cop-will-undergo-medical-checkup-prior-to-ufc-119.mma

Although UFC president Dana White said a recent eye injury won't keep Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic out of Saturday's UFC 119 event, the headliner faces one final hurdle before he's cleared to compete in the pay-per-view event.

Andy Means, the director of the Indiana Gaming Commission's athletic division, today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) Filipovic will have a pre-fight medical exam prior to Friday's weigh-ins.

Filipovic suffered an eye poke and likely cornea abrasion during his final training session in Croatia this past week.

UFC 119 takes place at Indianapolis' Conseco Fieldhouse and marks the organization's debut in the state of Indiana. Filipovic (27-7-2 MMA, 4-3 UFC) takes on former heavyweight champ Frank Mir (13-5 MMA, 11-5 UFC) and looks for his third straight win and fifth victory in six fights.

Means said UFC officials haven't been in contact specifically about Filipovic's injury – possibly because the news broke as the Indiana commission's office was closing for the weekend. Means didn't want to speculate about the injury or what would prompt doctors to halt the bout, but he said Filipovic will undergo tests as every other competitor does.

"We'll have our physicians do our pre-bout physicals," he said. "They'll be done before the weigh-ins and again prior to the fights (on Saturday). We'll do them like we always do."

Over the weekend, White told MMAjunkie.com that "Cro Cop" has seen doctors, including an opthamologist, and has been cleared to fight. Filipovic, who's actually an injury replacement for Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, also has vowed to fight through the injury.

But if commission doctors don't clear Filipovic and UFC officials can secure a replacement, Means said the commission won't stand in the way of a late switch.

"We don't have any problems with substitutions," he said. "We can probably turn around something like that pretty quickly. So as long as they have a license and medical clearance, I don't see it being a problem.

"If it'd save the fight, we'd go out of our way to make that happen."

something tells me this fight will be scrapped

http://mmajunkie.com/news/20725/after-ufc-release-tuf-8-winner-efrain-escudero-talking-to-strikeforce-bellator.mma

Ultimate Fighting Championship officials have released "The Ultimate Fighter 8" winner Efrain Escudero following a third-round submission loss to Charles Oliveira.

The Tempe, Ariz.-based lightweight announced the bad news Monday afternoon via his Twitter account and subsequently confirmed it to MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

Escudero (13-2 MMA, 3-2 UFC) said the split was amicable, and he has already begun dialogue with other prominent MMA promotions.

"I'm going to take a week off, so I'm not rushing into anything," he said. "Then, after that, I'm going to decide where I'm going to go."

The fighter named Strikeforce and Bellator Fighting Championships among those who are interested in his services.

Escudero met Oliviera (14-0 MMA, 2-0 UFC) this past week at UFC Fight Night 22 and held his own for much of the fight until the energetic up-and-comer hopped on his back and secured a rear-naked choke. It was his second loss inside the octagon.

Oliviera, meanwhile, won "Submission of the Night" honors.

The fight did not come without complications. Escudero came in at 159 pounds for the bout and was fined 20 percent of his "show" purse by the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation, which oversaw the event at Austin, Texas' Frank Erwin Center.

Oliveira was the third proposed opponent for Escudero, who was originally slated to meet John Gunderson on the Sept. 15 event's preliminary card. He then was rebooked to meet Matt Wiman before injuries to Wiman and Mac Danzig shuffled the lineup.

Escudero earned his "TUF 8" crown with a win over Phillipe Nover and appeared to be well on his way up the ladder with a subsequent knockout win over Cole Miller. But fellow up-and-comer Evan Dunham stopped his rise with a submission victory at UFC Fight Night 20, and he started from square one with a decision victory over Dan Lauzon at UFC 114.

When asked if the UFC expressed interest in having him back after he picked up wins in other promotions, Escudero responded, "kind of like that."

I would've bet on Danzig, Kendall Grove, or James Wilks being the first TUF winner to get the boot (not counting Lutter)

Edited by StillUnknown

Are there any big names at HW who are available to step in right away? Roy Nelson is still probably recovering from the pounding he took, maybe a rematch with Carwin? I'd say Couture came out of his last fight pretty unscathed...how 'bout him?

Some of these fighters should take a cue from Chris Leben.

Nelson had knee surgery, so he is out for a while. Carwin is probably not going to fight again until the steroid mess gets cleared up. I guess Randy could step in...I am guessing that there is some sort of plan in place should Cro Cop not be able to fight.

And I am very surprised about the Escudero cut, although I do not mind it. Other that KOing Cole Miller, he had really not shown me much and seemed a little uninspired in his last few fights. I have to believe there was something else going on behind the scenes though to cut a TUF winner. Coming in four pounds over last week probably did not help the situation.

Nelson had knee surgery, so he is out for a while. Carwin is probably not going to fight again until the steroid mess gets cleared up. I guess Randy could step in...I am guessing that there is some sort of plan in place should Cro Cop not be able to fight.

And I am very surprised about the Escudero cut, although I do not mind it. Other that KOing Cole Miller, he had really not shown me much and seemed a little uninspired in his last few fights. I have to believe there was something else going on behind the scenes though to cut a TUF winner. Coming in four pounds over last week probably did not help the situation.

Escudero had Evan Dunham dead to rights in the 1st round of their fight, almost finished him. been downhill for him since the start of that 2nd round :ols:

CroCop got cleared by the commission so he's fighting thankfully, although I can't give him much of a shot now

That's too bad I was excited to see Mir get knocked out again. Hopefully the eye injury is not career threatening.

Since it's still on as of right now, why is it you think Cro Cop will win? I'm rooting for Mirko but I see him as a huge underdog to Mir at this stage of his career.

Since it's still on as of right now, why is it you think Cro Cop will win? I'm rooting for Mirko but I see him as a huge underdog to Mir at this stage of his career.

It's more of me just hating on Mir and wanting to see him get knocked out. I'm hoping Cro Cop still has enough left in the tank to stuff his takedowns where I think he still has an advantage over Mir in the standup.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/20741/nate-marquardt-replaces-injured-vitor-belfot-in-ufc-122-headliner.mma

Fresh off a UFC Fight Night 22 victory over Rousimar Palhares, Nate Marquardt (30-9-2 MMA, 9-3 UFC) has replaced an injured Vitor Belfort (19-8 MMA, 8-4 UFC) and now meets Yushin Okami (25-5 MMA, 9-2 UFC) in the headliner of November's UFC 122 event.

The change, first reported by MMAWeekly.com, has been confirmed to MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) by sources close to the event. However, MMAjunkie.com was unable to confirm the nature of Belfort's injury.

As UFC executives officially announced earlier this week, UFC 122 takes place Nov. 13 at Konig Pilsener Arena in Oberhausen, Germany, and airs via same-day delay on Spike TV.

Officials announced Belfort vs. Okami would serve as a title eliminator and determine a No. 1 contender. And given Marquardt's standing in the division, the bout is likely to keep that designation.

Marquardt's victory over Palhares, which came after the Brazilian slipped on an attempted leg lock and left himself open to punches, was his fourth win in five fights. It also moved him to 5-2 since he fell short to champ Anderson Silva in his first title shot.

Okami, who long has flirted with title contention, most recently earned a split-decision win over Mark Munoz at UFC on Versus 2. It was his his fifth win in his past six fights, which included additional victories over Lucio Linhares, Dean Lister, Evan Tanner and Jason MacDonald. The lone loss came to Chael Sonnen, who had been promised an immediate rematch but now is dealing with the aftermath of a failed drug test following a loss to Silva at UFC 117.

Belfort, meanwhile, had looked to reclaim an earlier promised title shot. However, when Belfort was sidelined by a shoulder injury, Demian Maia and then Sonnen got shots at Silva's belt. Nevertheless, Belfort is riding a five-fight win streak, and in his most recent bout at UFC 103, he returned to the UFC for the first time in four years and scored a first-round knockout of Rich Franklin in a 195-pound catchweight bout.

the conspiracy theorist in me thinks that Belfort isn't injured and they are walking him directly into the title shot to replace Sonnen

Edited by StillUnknown

the conspiracy theorist in me thinks that Belfort isn't injured and they are walking him directly into the title shot to replace Sonnen

Yep...that's the same thing I thought. It kinda makes sense, although I wish that Vitor would not have had such a long layoff...if this fight actually does happen. I actually wanted to see Vitor-Okami more than Nate-Okami, but its free, so I won't complain.

Well, here we go....

From MMA Junkie

Champ Anderson Silva vs. Vitor Belfort targeted for early 2011, possibly UFC 125

As it turns out, Vitor Belfort (19-8 MMA, 8-4 UFC) isn't injured. And, in fact, he's expected to meet UFC middleweight champ Anderson Silva (27-4 MMA, 12-0 UFC) early next year, possibly in the headliner of a UFC 125 event on Jan. 1 in Las Vegas.

Sources close to the event today confirmed the tentative plans with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

Belfort had been scheduled to fight Yushin Okami in the headliner of November's UFC 122 event before a recent card change.

Instead, as first reported by MMAWeekly.com, Okami now fights recent UFC Fight Night 22 winner Nate Marquardt. Although initially believed to be injured, Belfort is, in fact, healthy, according to a recent Twitter post from UFC president Dana White. Belfort now will bypass the No. 1 contender's bout at UFC 122 for an immediate title shot with Silva.

Full story: http://mmajunkie.com/news/20748/champ-anderson-silva-vs-vitor-belfort-targeted-for-early-2011-possibly-ufc-125.mma

I can see Vitor finishing Silva...he lands one of those straight punches and it could be Chael Sonnen plus some.

Chael had the threat of wrestling; staying tucked in his stance and being almost impossible to read with what he'd utilize. Vitor doesn't have that wrestling threat. It will essentially be a kickboxing match. Vitor has some really fast and heavy hands, but Anderson has an awesome method of striking. He's so precise and has seriously assaulted some heavy handed tough mother****ers.

I'll take Anderson, although I will say that I wont be too surprised if Vitor hits the jackpot and knocks him out.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

I can see Vitor finishing Silva...he lands one of those straight punches and it could be Chael Sonnen plus some.

Chael had the threat of wrestling; staying tucked in his stance and being almost impossible to read with what he'd utilize. Vitor doesn't have that wrestling threat. It will essentially be a kickboxing match. Vitor has some really fast and heavy hands, but Anderson has an awesome method of striking. He's so precise and has seriously assaulted some heavy handed tough mother****ers.

I'll take Anderson, although I will say that I wont be too surprised if Vitor hits the jackpot and knocks him out.

IMO, Anderson will most likely win but Vitor's hand speed is ridiculous. He's one of the few guys that has a decent chance at finishing Anderson standing. If Vitor wins though it will be in the first round, maybe the second. After that, he's been known to fizzle out a little bit and if the fight carries into the championship rounds, Anderson has a big advantage.

I'd be down with a Wand vs. Leben TUF as long as Wand isn't put on the shelf too long.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/20750/chris-leben-vs-brian-stann-targeted-for-ufc-125-new-years-day-event.mma

Chris Leben vs. Brian Stann targeted for UFC 125 New Year's Day event

by John Morgan and Steven Marrocco on Sep 22, 2010 at 2:50 pm ET

A middleweight bout between Chris Leben (21-6 MMA, 11-5 UFC) and former WEC champion Briann Stann (9-3 MMA, 3-2 UFC) has been targeted for the Jan. 1 UFC 125 card.

Sources close to the event today alerted MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) of the tentative plans, though bout agreements have not been signed.

Although not officially announced, UFC 125 takes place at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas and airs on pay-per-view.

If finalized the fight likely will be part of the televised main card.

Leben, who remarkably makes his 17th consecutive UFC appearance, has never seen his stock higher in the 185-pound division. He's currently riding a three-fight win streak with a decision win over Jay Silva at UFC Fight Night 20, a TKO victory over Aaron Simpson at The Ultimate Fighter 11 Finale ("Knockout of the Night" bonus), and a submission win over Yoshihiro Akiyama at UFC 116 ("Fight of the Night" honors). The Simpson and Akiyama wins came within 14 days of each other.

Leben recently has been campaigning for a fight with Wanderlei Silva, whom he also wants to coach against on "The Ultimate Fighter 13" in early 2011. Production normally begins in mid-January, so a "TUF" gig theoretically is possible if he beats Stann. (Silva currently is recuperating from recent knee surgery.)

Of course, Stann is on a solid run of his. He's won three of his past four fights (all in the UFC) with decision victories over Steven Cantwell and Rodney Wallace and a recent submission win over Mike Massenzio at UFC on Versus 2 that won him "Fight of the Night" honors. The lone loss came to highly touted NCAA Division I national wrestling champion Phil Davis, who was unable to finish Stann and settled for a decision win.

The Greg Jackson-trained fighter, former Marine, war veteran and Silver Star winner recently released a book about his MMA and military exploits entitled "Heart for the Fight." It earned a positive review from MMAjunkie.com.

For more on UFC 125, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.