Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

The news about Mask is sad. He was by far the easiest to recognize of the 3 Tapout guys. Will be weird seeing Scrape and Punkass without him.

Ken Shamrock has been tarnishing his legacy every year for the past decade. I have no place telling him to hang them up, but Ken, hang them up!!!!!!!!!!

I'm very excited for Machida vs. Evans. Both fighters like to let the fight come to them, but Evans is too ****y to let fans boo him, and Machida does like to pounce out of nowhere with attacks. It will be interesting. I have a feeling Machida will wear Evans down, although Evans has, by far, the best hand speed and head movement Machida will have seen. I'm interested in who would win the clinches. Rashad is a very good wrestler but Machida trips people better than anyone in MMA. Can't wait.

lookin at some of the competitors for Dream's upcoming WW tourney, i can't wait for this event

if you like submission artists, the WW tourney is a can't miss:

Aoki: possibly the best use of bjj in MMA

Marcelo Garcia: quite possibly the best grappler in the world (my favorite)

Andre Galvao: multiple time world bjj champ

http://www.gifbin.com/982183

hands down the hottest chic in professional sports. the way she bites her lower lip drives me bonkers.

Yeah she's a hotty, man. I'm scared for her to fight that Cyborg "fella" though. Our gal better bring something new if that night ever comes.

On another topic (brought to mind by SU's sig), should Pete Sell still be fighting in the UFC? I know he's exciting but he just can't stay on his feet anymore. He's like the sad version of Chris Leben w/o being remotely competitive. At least the Crippler still wins half the time despite taking too many shots. Pete just gets punked fight after fight.

Edited by Chachie

http://www.gifbin.com/982183

hands down the hottest chic in professional sports. the way she bites her lower lip drives me bonkers.

Damn right, she's got one of the prettiest smiles I've ever seen!

Yeah she's a hotty, man. I'm scared for her to fight that Cyborg "fella" though. Our gal better bring something new if that night ever comes.

:hysterical:

On another topic (brought to mind by SU's sig), should Pete Sell still be fighting in the UFC? I know he's exciting but he just can't stay on his feet anymore. He's like the sad version of Chris Leben w/o being remotely competitive. At least the Crippler still wins half the time despite taking too many shots. Pete just gets punked fight after fight.

Man, the bad thing about Sell is that he has a history of winning fights for a couple of rounds and then getting badly KTFO.

I think he'd be better of sharpening his skills in another organization for a while.

Man, the bad thing about Sell is that he has a history of winning fights for a couple of rounds and then getting badly KTFO.

I think he'd be better of sharpening his skills in another organization for a while.

Exactly. Let him go play in the WEC. Although the only skill he really needs to sharen is taking a shot but when you can't do that anymore it may be time to hang 'em up.

Forrest Griffin is going to be on the cover UFC: Undisputed, although those lucky enough to be in Canada can get a copy with GSP on the cover

some game footage breaking down the various fighting styles that will be in the game:

http://xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/876973/ultimate-fighting-championship-2009/videos/ufc09_trl_fighttech_031309.html

speaking of Forrest, he's fighting Thiago Silva at UFC 101

Edited by StillUnknown

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=3989523&type=story

Is chivalry dead? In Shamrock-Diaz, yes

These days, most MMA event promotions are as chivalrous as Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal meeting at the net. There is, of course, nothing wrong with good old-fashioned sportsmanship, but every once in a while, it's nice to get a blast of MMA's raw roots.

And if you like "raw," look no further than Strikeforce's April 11 main event, featuring Frank Shamrock versus Nick Diaz.

Love him or hate him, Shamrock draws a reaction. Love him or hate him, Diaz does the same. Together, they are two magnetic forces destined to wage war using outrageous words and unpredictable actions.

Shamrock isn't as blunt as Diaz during fight promotion, but he has the intensity and skill to match his opponents inside the cage.

At the recent news conference announcing the show, the fighters walked in from opposite sides of the stage. As both extended their hands, presumably to greet each other, Diaz instead raised his middle finger. Shamrock, always the master of self-generated buzz, could do nothing but smile.

"After seeing him there, I thought he was going to cry," said Shamrock, who is 23-9 with two draws. "He picks a most unintelligent way to express himself. I see MMA going down that path. I see martial arts as something beautiful and sacred. I think he sees it as a way to get chicks and hang out."

Diaz's action essentially served to put the loquacious Shamrock, 36, on the defensive. But his playing the role of MMA's guardian is a position Diaz's camp says is totally unnecessary.

"Frank likes to say and do certain things, to position himself mentally and get the advantage so you come into the fight at a disadvantage," said Cesar Gracie, who trains Diaz (18-7) and once lost to Shamrock in the cage. "Unfortunately for Frank, Nick's not affected by it. That's the statement he was making at the press conference. He doesn't want the games. It's combat, and we're doing it Nick's way."

Interestingly, the two men come from similar backgrounds. Shamrock once was a troubled youth who spent time in juvenile halls and foster homes before finding structure in martial arts. Diaz is a high school dropout who came from relative poverty to establish himself as one of the sport's most exciting fighters. The two train at gyms about an hour apart, in the San Francisco Bay area. At this stage, the only difference between them is the polish in their presentations.

Shamrock is dapper and eloquent, a spokesman of the sport who eventually will pull double duty as a ringside analyst for the Strikeforece/Showtime production. Diaz, meanwhile, favors sweatshirts and jeans, and often peppers his language with expletives.

Shamrock, who described Diaz as a "game and good fighter" but "a troubled young man" and a "bad representative of the sport," said he has known Diaz for about five years and that the two always have been cordial until now.

"Frank can talk all he wants, but I'm going to beat him up," Diaz said. "Let's see how much he fights back."

Gracie says Diaz is simply misunderstood.

"Nick is the nicest guy in the world and one of the most loyal friends you can have," Gracie said. "He's an unpretentious person and goes out of his way to help people. But he had to grow up and earn everything he has. He sees a guy fighting him as trying to take that away."

Diaz does little to help his public perception. He once got into a fight with Joe Riggs at a hospital after fighting Riggs in the cage; upon losing a 2007 title fight because of a cut stoppage, he flipped off the ringside doctor and shoved away a camera.

He also is well known for a positive marijuana test that overturned a victory over Takanori Gomi. Diaz, who lives in California and has a medical marijuana use card for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, nevertheless must test clean to fight. And Diaz has never been afraid to fight.

He trains maniacally and participates in three or four full-length triathlons a year. He takes fights personally and enters the cage with a scowl. He strikes with strikers and grapples with ground experts. The destination of the fight isn't important, as long as there is a fight, so much so that even Gracie admits Diaz's willingness to brawl has been a detriment.

"But fans really appreciate his warrior spirit," Gracie said.

As an example of his quest for competition, in this bout, Diaz will move up from 160 pounds to fight Shamrock at a catch weight of 179 (Shamrock usually fights at 185). Gracie said Diaz could fight all the way up to 205.

"He brings it, and that makes him dangerous," Shamrock said. "But he doesn't know how to deal with the moment and with emotions. I always pick on my opponent, but with him it's almost unfair."

Strikeforce president Scott Coker said he originally thought the fight made sense because of the history of the Shamrocks and Gracies, as well as matching up the particular styles of Shamrock and Diaz. But he also knew how combustible the two fighters could be together.

The beauty of MMA is that you have to answer for your sins, and there is a lot more sinning to be done until the opening bell.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The quote about Shamrock always picking his opponents is key. I think he knows he can exploit Diaz somehow. I pray that Diaz knocks his block off.

Edited by Chachie