Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

The next three weekends are going to kick ass...we have UFC 84 Sat, then next Sat. we have the Elite XC card on CBS, then that Sunday we have the WEC card, and the Saturday after that is UFC 85!

i was thinking about that yesterday, next 3-4 weeks are ridicuously strong for MMA.

i just hope the EliteXC card on May31st gets great ratings and delivers a night of exciting fights. i got a feeling if they get good ratings, UFC will have all the other networks on their doorsteps the next day to get on network TV.

i was thinking about that yesterday, next 3-4 weeks are ridicuously strong for MMA.

i just hope the EliteXC card on May31st gets great ratings and delivers a night of exciting fights. i got a feeling if they get good ratings, UFC will have all the other networks on their doorsteps the next day to get on network TV.

If they get great rating Dana White will soil himself trying to get a card on network TV. I think they recently signed an extension with Spike though so I don't know how it will happen

If they get great rating Dana White will soil himself trying to get a card on network TV. I think they recently signed an extension with Spike though so I don't know how it will happen

tv is a copycat industry, i'm sure there is some provision in their deal with Spike that allows them to land on a major network. Dana won't have even have to try to get on network tv, he'll be able to sit back and choose the best deal from the ones offered

tv is a copycat industry, i'm sure there is some provision in their deal with Spike that allows them to land on a major network. Dana won't have even have to try to get on network tv, he'll be able to sit back and choose the best deal from the ones offered

I don't know...

Spike is owned by Viacom, aka CBS. Viacom also owns Showtime, who normally runs EliteXC, except for the show next weekend on CBS.

So essentially the same parent company airs both organizations.

Would Viacom let UFC air shows on another network, allowing a product that they provide substantial coverage for compete against CBS?

What would happen if EliteXC becomes more competitive to UFC and has an sweet contract with CBS while UFC is relegated to Spike? That could aid in a little shift in power. I mean Showtime (again, Viacom) owns a significant percentage of EliteXC, so you would think that they would want to place them as prominently as possible so they would make more money. I don't think they have a financial interest in UFC (other than ratings), so if they were stuck under the same giant umbrella, I would think that EliteXC, although not as competitive and respected as UFC, would get the most exposure.

Even if they could explore a network deal, I wonder how extensive UFC's options would be. I assume that CBS is going to go forward with EliteXC for a while, and NBC just started airing those Strikeforce shows recently. Granted, they are on at 2 a.m., but I wonder if they have any exclusivity or promises to greater exposure down the line.

That would leave UFC with ABC, which would probably be the best scenario, given the ties with ESPN. But I don't know if that would come to pass, because then you would have two cable networks involved with UFC, ESPN and Spike. It has worked with NASCAR in the past, but that was a bigger sport and more established.

I have speculated a lot here, and have no idea about a lot of the agreements and the fine print in existing contracts. But when it comes to Viacom's interests and a lot of the variables in play, things could get very interesting.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=6301&zoneid=2

BJ Penn's opinion of steroids in MMA:

The trend of fighters testing positive hasn’t gone away and the current lightweight champion doesn’t feel enough attention is being paid to the problem.

“The thing that’s so crazy is how it gets swept under the rug,” Penn stated. “It’s like, what would happen in the old days in the Wild West if somebody got caught with two aces up their sleeve? You shoot them right there, you know what I mean? That’s why I tell Sean Sherk he’s dead. It’s just ridiculous.”

With his upcoming bout with former champion Sean Sherk less than a week away, Penn isn’t afraid to call out anyone with a background that involves performance enhancing drugs.

“It’s a joke and they’re cowards and they’re not real fighters,” he commented. “That’s why I say there’s too many athletes, not enough fighters in this sport. To me fighting’s everything, and it’s such a pure thing, and this and that and they go and pervert it and go and do all this other stuff. And then they’ve got the guts to go out and say they’ve got heart or they train hard. I look at them and I just want to laugh.”

Hopefully BJ doesn't pull a Palmeiro with his remarks.

LOL! :laugh:

You've forced me to go off topic by saying I still remember so clearly the day when Raffy pointed his finger at the members of Congress and uttered those fateful words. :)

I was so proud of him that day and SO ashamed months later when he tested positive. I wonder if he ever got a call from Canseco, saying, "See, MFer? I shot your azz up and you lie about me to the govt? Eat it, Raff."

Leaving for Vegas tomorrow! :jump: Staying at the event site, MGM Grand :excited:

...but I'm leaving the day before the fights :gus:

Anywho, here are my picks as they stand now. They are subject to me making them a lot worse an hour before the fights.

Main Card Bouts:

B.J. Penn vs. Sean Sherk

I don't think it is a secret that BJ is my favorite fighter. On top of that, I hate Sean Sherk. I think he is everything that is bad for the sport.

Sherk is a one-dimensional fighter that knows how to take advantage of the rules and the cage to get wins. He is a great wrestler, strong as an ox, and cardio to go 12 rounds. He also has short little limbs and no neck so he is hard to submit.

BJ is one of the best MMA Jiu-Jitsu fighters of all time. He is also a very polished striker. Sherk himself has said he sees no weakness in BJ's fighting. The only thing holding BJ back has always been BJ. Now, he is focussed. He has never trained as hard. He knows what is at stake. He will be ready.

BJ is going to try to stay standing as much as possible while pushing the pace on Sherk. He has great takedown defense and he will survive some of Sherk's shots. Sherk shoots with the best of them though and is likely to get the fight to the ground sooner or later. Sherk's problem will be that he will never have BJ in any danger of losing. Sherk has no offense or intention to finish fights. BJ simply needs to work his way back to his feet, sweep, or wait for the ref to stand them. Dana has been talking a lot lately about how he hates boring fights and boring fighters. I think the ref will be quick to stand this fight up if Sherk is just laying on BJ.

I see BJ hurting Sherk standing, pouncing, and finishing Sherk with a RNC.

BJ by submission

Lyoto Machida vs. Tito Ortiz

I haven't been impressed with Tito in a very long time. On the other hand the undefeated Machida has been very impressive throughout his career. Tito might be able to get a takedown, but his GNP will not be effective against Machida. Machida is too good to let Tito's old school GNP hurt him. Machida will frustrae Tito like he has every fighter he has fought, and Machida will eventually get the win. I'll say:

Machida by GNP TKO

Keith Jardine vs. Wanderlei Silva

I'm too big a Wanderlei fan to think he is finished. Jardine will meet the Axe Murderer on Saturday night, and he'll wish he was back in the ring with Houston Alexander

Silva by KTFO

Thiago Silva vs. Antonio Mendes

Silva is a force to be reckoned with at 205. Mendes is in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Silva by KO

Wilson Gouveia vs. Goran Reljic

This is a tough one to call. I haven't read a Gouveia interview yet so...

Reljic by decision

Preliminary Bouts:

Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou vs. Kazuhiro Nakamura

Is Sokoudjou is good as people thought he was, or did he just get lucky? We will find out Saturday night when he faces a game Nakamura.

Soko by KO

Yoshiyuki Yoshida vs. Jon Koppenhaver

War Machine is tough and can throw, but I don;t think he has much else to offer.

Yoshida by decision

Rousimar Palhares vs. Ivan Salaverry

Love Salaverry. Get back to winning here

Salaverry by submission

Shane Carwin vs. Christian Wellisch

ummmm...... Carwin by submission

Dong-hyun Kim vs. Jason Tan

Kim by decision

Terry Etim vs. Rich Clementi

Clementi has looked really good at times, but I am not sold on him. He is still the guy who lost early on TUF for me. I like the way Etim fights.

Etim by TKO

Anywho, here are my picks as they stand now. They are subject to me making them a lot worse an hour before the fights.

Come ON, Bowsk! Leaving room for re-picks? This thread is sacred ground and your predictions, once posted, are your word. :)

Have a BLAST at the fights. I'm totally green with envy!

Come ON, Bowsk! Leaving room for re-picks? This thread is sacred ground and your predictions, once posted, are your word. :)

Have a BLAST at the fights. I'm totally green with envy!

I wish I was going to the fights. Just happen to be in Vegas right before them.

I'm actually probably not even going to get to watch the fights live. :(

Rashad Evans/James Irvin bout scrapped due to injury: http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=6318&zoneid=13

Within hours of announcing that Luis Cane would step in for an injured James Irvin to face Rashad Evans at UFC 85 on June 7 in London, the Ultimate Fighting Championship issued another statement, finalizing the fight card and scrapping the Evans bout altogether.

Following more twists and turns than an Agatha Christie novel, the fight card for UFC 85, according to the promoter, is final with 11-bouts. With the Evans bout being dropped from the card, the UFC moved up the middleweight bout between No.5 ranked middleweight Nathan Marquardt and opponent Thales Leites to the pay-per-view portion of the event.

God damn, a lot of injuries lately. This is getting ridiculous. I realize you have to train constantly, but it's a simple fact that your body needs rest to recuperate. How many UFC fighters have been scratched since Serra folded before his fight with Hughes? It has to be around 10.

:laugh: That should be it's name.

Welcome to UFC 85: The Bermuda Triangle...

mikegoldberg.jpg

:rotflmao:

to that pic of goldberg.

Any name would be better than "Ill Will" I hate that name :puke:

If you look at the logo, it looks like a little kid scribbled in the name

UFC 84 picks:

Thiago Silva vs. Antonio Mendez: This is going to be a good fight between two very good strikers. Thiago is really strong and has a great demeanor when he gets in the octagon. I think his focus and aggression will take this one. He is a strong guy that does not hesitate when he gets an advantage. Mendez has never been T(KO)'d. It should be interesting, but I think Thiago will give him the first pillow-time in his career. Thiago, GnP TKO, round 2.

Tito Ortiz vs. Lyoto Machida: Who else thinks Tito might do a Mike Tyson here? Lyoto, as Joe Rogan once pointed out, has insane timing. He is so smooth and doesn't over-pursue openings. His technique equates to his power, and he can really adjust his game on the fly before his opponent can react to it. I think Tito is in for an ownage here. I can only hope Tito doesn't really dig himself a permanent hole in his image by biting skin or raking Lyoto in the face. Tito's only hope is to get Lyoto down on his back and keeping him there. I don't see that happening. Lyoto by doctor stoppage, Round 3.

Wilson Gouveia vs. Gordon Reljic. I think Wilson is in for a surprise here in the standup. He's a BJJ guy that will put you to bed on the feet. My prediction is that he'll try to KO Gordon without mixing it up too much, and if it gets too hot in that kitchen he'll resort to taking him down. On the ground, Wilson should have no problem subbing Reljic. Arm bar, Round 1, Gouveia.

Wanderlei Silva vs. Keith Jardine: I can't wait 'til this fight. I like Keith, but Wanderlei used to be the man everyone wanted to see. Wanderlei is too dynamic and aggressive for Keith to settle in to a groove. The thing about Keith is that he kills other fighters' gameplans. He really is good at letting the fight come to him and answering the call. But this time, he's going to have to slug it out. Can he survive a back and forth battle when Wanderlei will give him as much as he can give out? I don't think so. Jardine is going to eat a fist and get stunned in to the thai clinch, alla Houston Alexander. But can Wand finish a fight without stomping and soccer kicking heads? I think it will be up to the ref. Ref stoppage (especially if it's Mazagatti) round 2.

BJ Penn vs. Sean Sherk: I seriously think the only way Sherk wins this is if BJ gasses or it goes to the judges. Sherk will be able to fend of BJ's submission attempts, so BJ will have to lock himself in good positions and beat on Sherk's face. After watching over BJ's fights a little bit, you can see that his timing has gotten a lot better. He isn't rushing himself, and it helps his lack of cardiovascular strength. One thing about this fight, is that Sherk has a knack for knowing what it takes to win. It's like one big grappling match, and he has a ton of experience. Don't be surprised if Sherk does his lay and pray to perfection here. For you BJ fans, hope to see some body locks so he can control the majority of the 5 minute rounds. For Sherk fans (crickets), look for Sherk to score and hide...while making BJ's lungs struggle for air. I think the most important part of this fight will be if BJ can jockey for body locks. He will be able to pepper Sherk enough to cut him open, daze him, and look for submissions. Watch for Sherk to resort to standing up with BJ and looking for the homerun late in the fight. Unanimous decision, BJ.

UFC 84 picks:Wanderlei Silva vs. Keith Jardine: I can't wait 'til this fight. I like Keith, but Wanderlei used to be the man everyone wanted to see. Wanderlei is too dynamic and aggressive for Keith to settle in to a groove. The thing about Keith is that he kills other fighters' gameplans. He really is good at letting the fight come to him and answering the call. But this time, he's going to have to slug it out. Can he survive a back and forth battle when Wanderlei will give him as much as he can give out? I don't think so. Jardine is going to eat a fist and get stunned in to the thai clinch, alla Houston Alexander. But can Wand finish a fight without stomping and soccer kicking heads? I think it will be up to the ref. Ref stoppage (especially if it's Mazagatti) round 2.

I agree with this one. Jardine's weakness is aggression. He ruins styles with gameplanning. He ground out a decision against Chuck because Chuck is a counterstriker and is only aggressive when he smells blood. Wanderlei is the opposite and will come at him like Houston Alexander did and overwhelm him early.

I'm taking Wanderlei by TKO here.

BJ Penn vs. Sean Sherk: I seriously think the only way Sherk wins this is if BJ gasses or it goes to the judges. Sherk will be able to fend of BJ's submission attempts, so BJ will have to beat him up a little bit. After watching over BJ's fights a little bit, you can see that his timing has gotten a lot better. He isn't rushing himself, and it helps his lack of cardiovascular strength. One thing about this fight, is that Sherk has a knack for knowing what it takes to win. It's like one big grappling match, and he has a ton of experience. Don't be surprised if Sherk does his lay and pray to perfection here. For you BJ fans, hope to see some body locks so he can control the majority of the 5 minute rounds. For Sherk fans (crickets), look for Sherk to score and hide...while making BJ's lungs struggle for air. I think the most important part of this fight will be if BJ can jockey for body locks. He will be able to pepper Sherk enough to cut him open, daze him, and look for submissions. Watch for Sherk to resort to standing up with BJ and looking for the homerun late in the fight. Unanimous decision, BJ.

I'm not picking this fight because it's just too close to call. I do however think that if the fight goes to a decision BJ will not win. Whether his cardio is improved or not, I don't think it's going to be on the level of Sherk's. BJ needs a sub or KO IMO.

I'm not picking this fight because it's just too close to call. I do however think that if the fight goes to a decision BJ will not win. Whether his cardio is improved or not, I don't think it's going to be on the level of Sherk's. BJ needs a sub or KO IMO.

You make a great point man, but like I said, BJ has avoided major cardio problems as of late. His style has calmed down and he's taken on more of a methodical style. If BJ camps out in dominating positions like I think he's planning on doing, he will easily take rounds away from Sherk. And body locks on the ground don't take much energy to hold once they're locked. I also have a feeling that poetic justice will be served here, with Sherk actually losing by UD.

Nonetheless, what you said can easily happen. This fight is going to be close. It's been a debate in my mind for a long time, but BJ just has more tools to work with. If BJ DOES gas, well, fight over. Guess that is the big question. Should be an interesting fight, with some big questions surrounding it. Steroids, BJ's cardio, Sherk's lay 'n pray style that has been scrutinized for a while. How will all that play in to this fight? Will Sherk want to prove himself by going for a big finish? Will BJ run circles around Sherk, showing off a new-found marathon-runner cardio? Should be quite interesting.