Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Going over to friends house to watch my first ever UFC event, I'm pretty excited about it. DoubleStroker / anyone else, I thought there were only 3 fights tonight, am I mistaken?

There are actually 10-11 fights but three of them are main event material especially the GSP fight and the Lesnar fight. They will prob only show 6 maybe 7 fights total on the PPV though because of time. It kind of sucks man, it's the only thing I don't like about ordering the PPV is that they don't show the entire card.

Just started getting into the UFC scene after watching some of the top knockouts stuff on Spike. Didn't realize Brock Lesnar was fighting in this, lol. I remember when he tried out for the Vikings. Anyone know where you can get a good stream of this for those of us who don't want to buy the PPV.

Check out Spike TV from 9 to 10 tonight to see the top 10 fights in UFC History as voted on by fans. God, I sound like Mike Goldberg there.

INSIDE the octagon.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Gotcha. Does everyone hate Brock Lesner? When I was out with my friends last night, everyone wanted Lesner to get beat. Is that pretty typical, or are they just routin' for the underdog?

I think it's about half and half. A lot of people are hating on him now because he's been talking a lot of smack but the UFC encourages guys to do that leading up to the fight. People didn't like him at first because of his lack of experience but it appears that his size and power might be too much for anyone.

We'll find out tonight. Mir beat him once but it was kind of shady because the ref made a bad stand up when Lesnar was pounding on Mir and that allowed Mir to catch him in a kneebar and make him tap.

Gotcha. Does everyone hate Brock Lesner? When I was out with my friends last night, everyone wanted Lesner to get beat. Is that pretty typical, or are they just routin' for the underdog?

Brock can really talk some smack, and the majority of his popularity comes from being a WWE wrestler.

The biggest thing is that he got such an amazingly fast title shot. Yes, he brings in the ratings. Business-wise it was definitely good for the UFC. But a lot of people thought it hurt the integrity of the sport. Speaking of integrity, to people that don't know much about MMA, they laugh at the fact that a former WWE superstar is the heavyweight champion of the UFC. It's too bad he's thousands of times more popular for his WWE days than how incredible he was at college wrestling.

But a lot of people thought it hurt the integrity of the sport.

IMO, those would be the ignorant people who did not pay attention to Lesnar's collegiate career and do not know a lot about fighter's histories in general. Anyone who follows wrestling (the real kind, not the WWE kind), pretty much knows that Lesnar was not just some large beast, but that he is freakishly athletic and very deserving to be a heavyweight title-holder in the UFC.

We'll find out tonight. Mir beat him once but it was kind of shady because the ref made a bad stand up when Lesnar was pounding on Mir and that allowed Mir to catch him in a kneebar and make him tap.

As Mir points out in the countdown show and as I have checked, Mir was rattled but very alert during that pounding and was in the process of locking in an armbar when Mazzagatti stepped in. Look for it in the countdown if you haven't seen it. Both fighters re-watch the fight from their homes, each giving their own version. :)

As Mir points out in the countdown show and as I have checked, Mir was rattled but very alert during that pounding and was in the process of locking in an armbar when Mazzagatti stepped in. Look for it in the countdown if you haven't seen it. Both fighters re-watch the fight from their homes, each giving their own version. :)

I'll definitely check it out.

IMO, those would be the ignorant people who did not pay attention to Lesnar's collegiate career and do not know a lot about fighter's histories in general. Anyone who follows wrestling (the real kind, not the WWE kind), pretty much knows that Lesnar was not just some large beast, but that he is freakishly athletic and very deserving to be a heavyweight title-holder in the UFC.

Very well, but they were (I was included) more speaking towards the speed of how he got the title shot, like I said. Of course the division was weak, and in hindsight, it did nothing but help the sport. I have nothing against Brock, but I doubt even a gold medalist in wrestling would get a shot as fast as he did. Brock is one hell of a specimen, one hell of a character, and one hell of a popular dude. I think those reasons, especially the last one, had more to do with his title shot than his amazing athleticism and dominance in collegiate wrestling.

But like I said, in hindsight it seems like it was nothing but extremely positive for the growth of the sport. Can't complain about that.

Very well, but they were (I was included) more speaking towards the speed of how he got the title shot, like I said. Of course the division was weak, and in hindsight, it did nothing but help the sport. I have nothing against Brock, but I doubt even a gold medalist in wrestling would get a shot as fast as he did. Brock is one hell of a specimen, one hell of a character, and one hell of a popular dude. I think those reasons, especially the last one, had more to do with his title shot than his dominance in collegiate wrestling.

But like I said, in hindsight it seems like it was nothing but extremely positive for the growth of the sport. Can't complain about that.

That's fine.

As I saw things, HW was not a deep division at the time, so why not throw a title shot to someone who has clearly proven their mettle in collegiate wrestling and is popular to boot? I was just annoyed with all the pissing and moaning from a lot of MMA fans at the time because I felt people were being ridiculous and overly focusing on his WWE career and judging his abilities as an athlete by what they saw during his stint with the WWE instead of actually being knowledgeable about his previous, "real" wrestling career. It was as if people complaining had not done their homework on Brock. :2cents:

Regardless, tonight's fight should be interesting. I'm looking forward to seeing the approach that will be taken by both fighters. Mir's not going to want to stand up with Brock and he's going to have a hell of a time taking him down. Brock's going to have considerably honed his submission defense since their last meeting, so I see this as a very difficult fight for Mir to win. Well see though, I think I'm more interested in watching Mir's gameplan tonight.

I think I'm also going to go with Henderson...simply because I can't stand Bisping and I want to see him get pounded more than I have any fighter I think.

I also would not be surprised to see Alves catch GSP tonight...

Lost in this is the fact that Frank Mir is a ****y **** as well and he's been doing a lot of **** talking himself.
Pretty much. Mir's an ass all the way around.

Brock talks a lot of crap too, but it's hilarious, and a lot of times he's totally just saying **** for the sake of it...most wrestlers use this exact M.O., including my fiance, just because they like messing with people. It's an odd mentality, but once you become familiar with it, it's pretty frickin hilarious.

Obviously I'm totally biased :silly:, but Lesnar's smack talk cracks me up whereas Mir's makes me roll by eyes because I think he's actually serious 100% of the time.

I think I'm also going to go with Henderson...simply because I can't stand Bisping and I want to see him get pounded more than I have any fighter I think.

I also would not be surprised to see Alves catch GSP tonight...

You and I see the world very differently but we agree on football and MMA almost every time. Now that Rashad has caught a karma powered KO Bisping is next on my list. I still think Matt Hamill beat him.

You and I see the world very differently but we agree on football and MMA almost every time. Now that Rashad has caught a karma powered KO Bisping is next on my list. I still think Matt Hamill beat him.

Word. :silly:

I still maintain the Hamill/Bisping outcome was one of the biggest decision ripoffs in UFC history...so did every person I watched that fight with. They were all pretty much wrestlers and coaches...so of course everyone in our house was heavily biased, but who cares, that was downright outrageous IMO.

Regardless, tonight's fight should be interesting. I'm looking forward to seeing the approach that will be taken by both fighters. Mir's not going to want to stand up with Brock and he's going to have a hell of a time taking him down. Brock's going to have considerably honed his submission defense since their last meeting, so I see this as a very difficult fight for Mir to win. Well see though, I think I'm more interested in watching Mir's gameplan tonight.

My thoughts exactly. I'm thinking he latches on and pulls guard rather than getting slammed or punched in to it. I think his best chance is to make this a ground battle with a clear mind.

Obviously I'm totally biased :silly:, but Lesnar's smack talk cracks me up whereas Mir's makes me roll by eyes because I think he's actually serious 100% of the time.

That's what it is. Obviously, there could be a little nudge from Dana and the Italians to pump up the fight with a little smack-talk. But Brock knows how to do it, whether he's serious or not.

Mir has the experience and If this fight goes past the 3rd round, Mir will win by submission. Nobody knows about Lesners cardio, so it should be interesting. I always pull for technique over brute strength

Brock showed pretty good cardio vs. Herring but that was only a 3 rounder.

Did you see the UFC 100 special they had on this afternoon with Lesnar and Mir watching their previous fight and giving commentary? Mir said something to the effect of if he fought Lesnar 100 times he would win 99 and could easily beat him standing up. Joe Rogan's reaction was hilarious though because he was like if he does that he'll get his *** kicked. I think you're right though about Mir. He is way too overconfident and takes himself way too seriously with these comments whereas Lesnar does a lot of it for entertainment value. I don't watch UFC very often but I think there is an interesting dynamic between the two and it should be an excellent fight.