Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

This fight card is already beastly w/ only three fights announced. Please, don't let the injury bug hit. :fingersx:

http://www.mmafighting.com/2012/8/20/3256175/joe-lauzon-vs-gray-maynard-added-to-ufc-155

Joe Lauzon vs. Gray Maynard Added to UFC 155

Aug 20, 2012 - The UFC's year-end show named one of its supporting bouts on Monday night, when the promotion announced that a lightweight matchup of Joe Lauzon vs. Gray Maynard will be included in the offering.

The show, which will be UFC 155, takes place on December 29 in Las Vegas.

Lauzon has won three of his last four, most recently defeated Jamie Varner in the third round of their UFC on FOX 4 bout, a matchup that will likely earn some consideration as the best fight of 2012.

After a back-and-forth opening two rounds, Lauzon finally closed out the show with a triangle submission. He's 22-7 overall.

Maynard (11-1-1, 1 no contest) will be fighting for the first time since his June win over Clay Guida, a fight that was notable from the controversy that arose due to Guida's unique strategy. In hopes of avoiding Maynard's power, Guida tried to keep the action limited to short bursts, much to the frustration of the audience. Nevertheless, Maynard won via split-decision.

UFC 155 is expected to feature Junior dos Santos defending the UFC heavyweight championship against Cain Velasquez in a rematch of their 2011 bout. In addition, Chael Sonnen will move up to light-heavyweight to face former champion Forrest Griffin.

This is awesome, Spike is picking up K-1.

Even though live UFC coverage is no longer in the fold, Spike TV continues to beef up its combat sports coverage.

Spike announced a partnership with K-1, the world’s largest kickboxing organization, that will begin this fall with live fights streaming on Spike.com. Four events, beginning with the U.S. World Grand Prix Championships in Los Angeles on Sept. 8, will be shown on the website this year. Spike.com will also stream events in Tokyo on Oct. 14, Athens on Dec. 8 and New York on Dec. 26.

In 2013, K-1 events will move to Spike TV, which is also when Chicago-based MMA promotion Bellator Fighting Championships’ events are set to air on the network.

(Click for rest of article) Sherdog.com

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Dana White will make a huge announcement at 2pm ET about the fate of UFC 151. Last night, rumors swirled about Hendo possibly being injured, then on Twitter - Hendo and his training partners talked about how great of a training session they just had. It was totally conflicting information. Some people believed the rumblings of Hendo being out were due to elevated testosterone, but that was shot down by a reporter last night.

@arielhelwani

UFC just announced that @danawhite will hold a conference call at 2 pm ET regarding the fate of UFC 151. Stay tuned.

"@FrontRowBrian

I'll fill in the blanks later but Dana's announcement will make history. @KevinI was given story by UFC. He'll break it. Crazy story."

Perhaps a Heavyweight steps in and Jones doesn't have to cut? Machida is fresh. Jones hasn't been training for that style though. Will be interesting. Listen to the conference call here: http://mmajunkie.com/misc/radio.mma

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Dana is blasting Greg Jackson on the media call because apparently Sonnen was stepping up to fight Jones and Jackson discouraged him from taking it. Called Jackson a "****ing sport killer."

1. sonnen doesn't deserve ****

2. setting #1 aside, kind of ridiculous to expect a champ to accept a new opponent 8 days out, especially when the styles are different.

Dana's deflecting blame for 151 being a ****ty card overall

1. sonnen doesn't deserve ****

2. setting #1 aside, kind of ridiculous to expect a champ to accept a new opponent 8 days out, especially when the styles are different.

Dana's deflecting blame for 151 being a ****ty card overall

I agree Sonnen does not deserve ****, but in this sport, injuries happen sometimes. I think Dana sounds a little foolish here, and the card did suck, but I think there are a few different arguments here. Things are going to be testy in the next few days around the UFC, that's for sure.

I agree Sonnen does not deserve ****, but in this sport, injuries happen sometimes. I think Dana sounds a little foolish here, and the card did suck, but I think there are a few different arguments here. Things are going to be testy in the next few days around the UFC, that's for sure.

Dana played this one well. By throwing his champ & camp under the bus, nobody will talk about the fact the UFC was selling a 1 fight PPV. We've seen injuries occur to other cards and the card moves on. Ellenberger vs. Jay Hieron was your co-main event, thats all you need to know about the quality of this card.

Dana played this one well. By throwing his champ & camp under the bus, nobody will talk about the fact the UFC was selling a 1 fight PPV. We've seen injuries occur to other cards and the card moves on. Ellenberger vs. Jay Hieron was your co-main event, thats all you need to know about the quality of this card.

No doubt the card was garbage other than the main event.

Dana is blasting Greg Jackson on the media call because apparently Sonnen was stepping up to fight Jones and Jackson discouraged him from taking it. Called Jackson a "****ing sport killer."

Dana is a freakin idiot who should always be taken with hevy doses of salt. I would never tell a pro fighter, especially a title holder, to take a fight on 8 days notice, that is jsut plain stupid.

To show how much of a lying sack of self serving crap Dana is, he starts off by saying "...for the first time in 11 years, we're gonna cancel an event." even though they already canceled a card in Montreal earlier this year. Dana will tell you he did not cancel that event, he "postponed it" with the new date being about 8 months removed from the first date.

Notice how no one cares where the undercard fights end up? even more proof that the UFC has been watering down PPV cards ever since the Fox deal. The only good thing to come out fo this is that 152 in Toronto (I already have tickets!) looks like we will be returning to the old style packed PPV cards before Fox came into the picture.

On a side note, anyone read the 2 of 3 part series on bloody elbow where some dork tried to claim that the PPV cards have not been watered down, but the first two articles where written so poorly and made little to no sense that BE pulled the first 2 parts down and did not post the 3rd part? This jsut makes those dumb arguments look even more stupid.

Any word on the seriousness of Hendo's knee? I read that it was a partial MCL tear, does that mean that it will require surgery or will it be able to heal on its own?

It will heal on his own, here's his statement:

"Sadly and unfortunately, I partially tore a ligament in my knee in training," the post read. "As a result I've had to make one of the toughest decisions that I have ever had to make...for the first time in my career I am forced to pull out of a fight, my fight with Jon Jones at UFC 151. Luckily, surgery is not needed at this time and I will be completely devoted to rehabbing my knee as quickly as possible. I feel that I owe it to my fans and all the people supporting me to fight at my full potential in order to give myself a chance to win the UFC title. I appreciate the loyal support that I have felt from my fans. I want to thank all of my coaches and team of guys for the great support with my training camp. Most importantly, I appreciate their honesty when I needed them the most to make this very difficult decision. I also want to thank Dana and Lorenzo for being so understanding and supportive. I will continue to pursue the UFC belt with all of my heart!"

lol:

michael ‏@bisping

Jones said he's not fighting chael on 8 days notice. I did. .... Just sayin

---------- Post added August-23rd-2012 at 04:49 PM ----------

It will heal on his own, here's his statement:

"Sadly and unfortunately, I partially tore a ligament in my knee in training," the post read. "As a result I've had to make one of the toughest decisions that I have ever had to make...for the first time in my career I am forced to pull out of a fight, my fight with Jon Jones at UFC 151. Luckily, surgery is not needed at this time and I will be completely devoted to rehabbing my knee as quickly as possible. I feel that I owe it to my fans and all the people supporting me to fight at my full potential in order to give myself a chance to win the UFC title. I appreciate the loyal support that I have felt from my fans. I want to thank all of my coaches and team of guys for the great support with my training camp. Most importantly, I appreciate their honesty when I needed them the most to make this very difficult decision. I also want to thank Dana and Lorenzo for being so understanding and supportive. I will continue to pursue the UFC belt with all of my heart!"

nice

It's sucks this got cancelled this soon, Jones has had a rough year

Luazon:

"Not only has this screwed over all the fans that bought tickets, non refundable airfare, took off work, made arrangements, etc... but think of all the fighters. Fighters that put in full camps, flew people in that helped them trains, etc. By the time I am actually fight, I spend close to 20k between corners, flights, expenses, coaches, etc... and then to have the whole show cancelled because ONE guy didn't want to fight. This ONE guy that had trained an entire camp, who was the CHAMP and at the top of his weight class, who was going to fight someone who didn't do the camp, and was fighting UP a weight class.

I have always been a big Jon Jones supporter... but I would be FURIOUS if this happenned to me and I was on the card. To call is scorched earth wouldn't do it justice. "

Edited by WALEOVECHKIN

Chris Weidman also volunteered to fight Jones:

http://www.mmafighting.com/2012/8/23/3263406/chris-weidman-says-he-volunteered-to-fight-jon-jones-at-ufc-151

Top 185-pound contender Chris Weidman told MMAFighting.com following Thursday's conference call that he offered to fight Jones next week, as well.

"I heard that Dan Henderson was hurt," Weidman said. "I said, 'Wow, I'm not getting the shot at 185, let me get Jon Jones, he's freaking awesome."

"I'm not sure it ever got back to [Jones]," he said. "If he's not taking Chael Sonnen, I'm sure he isn't going to take me."

Hendo adds on:

Henderson said: “This is the first time that the champion wouldn't step up and fight, and I was pretty shocked to hear that. It's not like he's injured. It's unbelievable to me that he wouldn't take that 'the show must go on' attitude. If there was any way I could have gone, and any way that I thought I could give myself a chance to compete, I would have done that."