Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Hendo- Best American ever?

http://espn.go.com/blog/MMA/post/_/id/6481/in-terms-of-accomplishments-hendo-stands-alone

Save politics, is there an industry that thrives on embellishment more than sport? MMA observers know this well. So when I tell you that Dan Henderson is the most accomplished mixed martial artist America has produced, please take it for what it's worth. But I’ll assure you at a minimum, I believe it to be true. And I think if you look at everything Henderson has accomplished since he entered the sport in 1997, no American fighter -- not Chuck Liddell, Matt Hughes, Randy Couture, B.J. Penn, Quinton Jackson nor anyone else -- can claim his level of sustained success.

More at link.

Chris Leben out for a year for testing positive for banned substances. I believe it was 2 forms of painkillers.

Sadness washes over me. You guys know how much I love me some Leebs. I'm not surpised it was painkillers though. Dude takes a lot of punishment in the octagon. Get fresh and come back, Crippler. You are an awesome gatekeeper.

---------- Post added November-28th-2011 at 06:37 PM ----------

Awesome. Way to go Crippler. You would think he would learn at some point...

Not "defending" Leben but I do believe he was treated for alcoholism a couple years ago so any other type of drug dependance, especially in his line of work, on his behalf does not surprise me. These guys are crazy. In some ways they should all be sedated. :)

Sadness washes over me. You guys know how much I love me some Leebs. I'm not surpised it was painkillers though. Dude takes a lot of punishment in the octagon. Get fresh and come back, Crippler. You are an awesome gatekeeper.

I definitely agree with this. Leben isn't going to be a champion in the UFC, but he is a crowd pleaser and always shows up to fight. I can't wait to see him come back and put on a show.

He was taking the heavy stuff. Leben with another run-in with an addiction problem. It's a wonder how he even trained/competed while popping those drugs.

On another note, Sonnen and Arianny had a little spat that gave me a good chuckle:

---

From Yahoo! Sports:

Chael Sonnen knows how to start a fight. Though his sharp words are usually aimed at UFC middleweight champ Anderson Silva and anyone who supports Silva, he turned towards UFC Octagon Girl Arianny Celeste when asked about her in an interview to promote the World MMA Awards.

He was asked who he is supporting for Ring Girl of the Year in the awards ceremony that will take place in Las Vegas on Wednesday.

"We only had one and that was Chandella [Powell]. The other was the IQ card girl. Arianny [Celeste] kind of walks around and holds up her latest test score. One time when there was a title fight, she got all the way up to five and we were very proud of her."

Ouch. Celeste and Sonnen then sparred on Twitter with messages that have been deleted. Celeste started:

Hey what's ur name.. after @spideranderson kicks your [expletive]..u won't even be able to count to 5!! Get ready to kiss brazils [expletive]!

And Sonnen's reply:

Seems easy to wear a bikini and seems easy to walk in a circle, but try walking in a circle while wearing a bikini. Talented girl.

The original interviewer didn't ask Sonnen about the source of his issues with Celeste, but with Sonnen, he usually doesn't need a reason to call someone out. He became angry with Canada for no good reason, and a man who can hate that lovely, docile country for no good reason could easily extend his dislike to Celeste.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

http://espn.go.com/mma/story/_/id/7297120/light-heavyweights-rashad-evans-phil-davis-fight-ufc-fox-2-sources-say

Rashad Evans and Phil Davis will meet in a light heavyweight bout slated for Jan. 28.

The fight, which multiple sources confirmed to ESPN.com, will take place at UFC on Fox 2, the promotion's second show on the network.

It's not the first time the UFC has booked this matchup. The two were scheduled to meet in August at UFC 133 in Philadelphia, but that bout fell through when Davis suffered a knee injury.

Evans (16-1-1) will look to solidify his place as the No. 1 contender at 205 pounds. He's currently riding a three-fight win streak, including a second-round TKO win over late-replacement Tito Ortiz in August.

The former champion had been next in line to fight title-holder Jon Jones following that win, but had to postpone the opportunity due to a hand injury. Jones is scheduled to defend the belt against Lyoto Machida on Dec. 10.

For Davis (9-0), Evans represents easily the biggest test of his young career. The former collegiate wrestler is 4-0 in the UFC and coming off a unanimous decision win over Antonio Rogerio Nogueira in March.

The Evans-Davis fight is expected to headline the UFC on Fox 2 card, which takes place at the United Center in Chicago.

Not a fan of sonnen but his second response had me rolling.

He's just picking a fight because she's more famous then he is and if he's anything he's an attention whore. It will be fun watching him get his ass kicked.... Hopefully he doesn't take too much of his testosterone replacement "therapy" again or get convicted of another crime before then. Have I mentioned I can't stand him? Yeah well I can't stand that scum bag.

Edited by Destino

He's just picking a fight because she's more famous then he is and if he's anything he's an attention whore. It will be fun watching him get his ass kicked.... Hopefully he doesn't OD on his testosterone replacement "therapy" again or convicted of another crime before then. Have I mentioned I can't stand him? Yeah well I can't stand that scum bag.

Not a fan either. What I truly don't understand is how he gets a pass for what he says by people saying oh well his just trolling. That is not an excuse for saying stupid ****.

That's shaping up to be a great free card.

What are the other fights you have heard? The only other one I have heard is Russow-Einemo (and I doubt that is going to be on the main card). I heard rumors of Sonnen-Munoz, but I doubt that is going to happen now, and Diego Sanchez-Ellenberger is apparently headlining a card on Fuel on 2/15.

What are the other fights you have heard? The only other one I have heard is Russow-Einemo (and I doubt that is going to be on the main card). I heard rumors of Sonnen-Munoz, but I doubt that is going to happen now, and Diego Sanchez-Ellenberger is apparently headlining a card on Fuel on 2/15.

I was still assuming Sonnen-Munoz was on that card, they're also saying Might Mouse vs. Eddie Wineland and there's a HW bout with Mike Russow and Jon Olva ewernekrsdfsdfs (the giant Norwegian that fought in Pride, he was supposed face Shane Carwin at some point).

Did you hear that Sonnen-Munoz isn't happening?

I was still assuming Sonnen-Munoz was on that card, they're also saying Might Mouse vs. Eddie Wineland and there's a HW bout with Mike Russow and Jon Olva ewernekrsdfsdfs (the giant Norwegian that fought in Pride, he was supposed face Shane Carwin at some point).

Did you hear that Sonnen-Munoz isn't happening?

I have not heard that it isn't happening, but I kinda doubted it, as I thought it would take the headlining spot. But I could easily be wrong. I would certainly be pleased with Evans-Davis and Sonnen-Munoz on free TV, but that is two pretty nice fights to have on a free card. I certainly would not complain though.

Somebody did make a good point on MMAJunkie though, as to whether the UFC would want to put Sonnen on free TV in front of casual fans and a lot of people that have not seen the sport before. I am almost immune to Sonnen's babbling at this point, but would it be the best move to put the incessant trash-talking, suspended for cheating, accused of felonies fighter in front of a crowd that is still forming a judgement about the sport? I don't know. On the other side, you have Davis and Evans, who are two pretty good ambassadors for the sport -- classy, well spoken and obviously great fighters. On the other hand, if Sonnen beats Munoz on free TV you know he will grab the mic and try to drum up some more interest in a second fight with Silva, which would certainly result in more PPV buys.

Tim Sylvia vs Brett Rogers booked for Dream's NYE event. :ols: sounds like a JMMA classic.

Fedor vs Satoshi Ishii also rumored to be on the card.

edit: here is the source: http://www.heavy.com/mma/mma-news/2011/11/ex-ufc-champ-tim-sylvia-meets-brett-rogers-on-new-year%E2%80%99s-eve-dream-card/

now they just need to start working on booking Semmy Schilt vs Minowaman and it will be set. :D

Edited by Patrick86L

Somebody did make a good point on MMAJunkie though, as to whether the UFC would want to put Sonnen on free TV in front of casual fans and a lot of people that have not seen the sport before. I am almost immune to Sonnen's babbling at this point, but would it be the best move to put the incessant trash-talking, suspended for cheating, accused of felonies fighter in front of a crowd that is still forming a judgement about the sport? I don't know. On the other side, you have Davis and Evans, who are two pretty good ambassadors for the sport -- classy, well spoken and obviously great fighters. On the other hand, if Sonnen beats Munoz on free TV you know he will grab the mic and try to drum up some more interest in a second fight with Silva, which would certainly result in more PPV buys.

It seems to me like they would have more to lose than gain out of the Sonnen-Munoz fight. If Sonnen lost or got injured then they really would be screwing themselves out of a lot of money for Silva/Sonnen II, especially Silva/Sonnen II in Brazil.

Tim Sylvia vs Brett Rogers booked for Dream's NYE event. :ols: sounds like a JMMA classic.

Fedor vs Satoshi Ishii also rumored to be on the card.

edit: here is the source: http://www.heavy.com/mma/mma-news/2011/11/ex-ufc-champ-tim-sylvia-meets-brett-rogers-on-new-year%E2%80%99s-eve-dream-card/

now they just need to start working on booking Semmy Schilt vs Minowaman and it will be set. :D

Lol, maybe they could get Bob Sapp or Hong Man Choi to fill out the rest of the card.

I think he fights Bisping if he wins, or Munoz if Bisping loses. Even with a win over Bisping, Mayhem wouldn't deserve to be in a #1 contender fight.

Yeah, I agree with your scenario. I think he beats either Mayhem or Bisping pretty easily, but you are exactly right, Mayhem does not deserve to be in a #1 contender fight yet, even if he beats Bisping.

Edited by lovetoaster