Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

I'd rather see that, as well. Still, GSP vs. Anderson is the biggest-named fight you can get in the sport. If we want to stop saying "fastest growing sport in the world" any time in the next 200 years, fights like this need to happen. It will be one of the biggest sports in the world if fights like this are put together. Especially before a "Werdum" happens to either of them.

I don;t give a **** if people catch on to the sport or not. I want to see the best fights. Masses be damned. They've damned the sport for 20 years. Why cater to them now?

---------- Post added February-7th-2011 at 07:21 PM ----------

I love Henderson but its a different type of athlete from GSP and Hendo looked extremely outta shape in that fight I think the cut affected him. Not only that but he could'nt finish a clearly gassed Hendo, could'nt finish Jason Miller, and struggled bigtime looking horrible againest Martin Kampmann, honestly Kampmann was stuffing his takedown rather easily.

Oh yeah. Totally forgot GSP finished Miller in the first minute of their fight :ols:

---------- Post added February-7th-2011 at 07:23 PM ----------

Finally, cardio! GSP hands down, walking away, 10 out of 10 fights. The way GSP grinds on people, I think cardio would be the determining factor in the end.

There is zero evidenve that Silva has worse cardio than anyone in the sport. The guy just got worked in wrestling for 24 minutes before pulling off a sub! You cannot knock his cardio. And that was with a broken rib! (allegedly)

Edited by Sebowski

I simply can't envision GSP (who is not known as a man who finishes fights at WW) moving up to MW and beating Silva, a man who finishes fights easily at LHW. If Georges does that he's king**** of Earth. Period.

Edited by Chachie

I don;t give a **** if people catch on to the sport or not. I want to see the best fights. Masses be damned. They've damned the sport for 20 years. Why cater to them now?

Because they're finally starting to catch on. It's a hard sport to understand. On the surface, even below the surface, it's a brutal sport. People submitting to pain, getting kicked and kneed in the face, being punched on the ground. Some people may take a second to look passed all that.

Maybe you don't care if people catch on to the sport, but the fighters certainly care if people catch on to the sport. I care, because the more popular the sport is, the more fights I see. Maybe I'm alone, I like seeing the sport grow.

Like I've said many times before, matchup-wise, Shogun vs. Anderson is the #1 fight I want to see. But a fight between the top two fighters in the world isn't much worse.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

GSP may not finish fights lately but no one has come CLOSE to beating him. His fights are some of the most lopsided beatings in all of MMA. The man is 21-2 and has avenged both of his losses convincingly. He has the cardio to go 5 rounds of wrestling with ease and has the some of the best percentages in successful take downs and take down stuffs in the business. I would rather step in the ring with the Spider because at least it would be quick. The beatings GSP puts on people are the stuff of nightmares. He's too fast to hit and too strong to stop... he gets on you and just hits you every possible way for 25 minutes. He torture's his opponents in a way that is frankly unheard of.

How many rounds has be man lost since he lost a fight to Matt Serra? 1?

I've watched a lot of Jake Shields fights, the guy is strong as a bull but there is one major problem with his game... he is slow. Really damn slow. He's going to get in the ring and unless he scores a hard shot he's going to struggle with the pace of the fight and the speed of GSP big time. If the fight goes past round 3 Shields will have nothing in the tank.

Edited by Destino

he lost a fight to Matt Serra

Exactly.

Serra is a natural 155er, btw

---------- Post added February-8th-2011 at 12:23 AM ----------

Because they're finally starting to catch on. It's a hard sport to understand. On the surface, even below the surface, it's a brutal sport. People submitting to pain, getting kicked and kneed in the face, being punched on the ground. Some people may take a second to look passed all that.

Maybe you don't care if people catch on to the sport, but the fighters certainly care if people catch on to the sport. I care, because the more popular the sport is, the more fights I see. Maybe I'm alone, I like seeing the sport grow.

Like I've said many times before, matchup-wise, Shogun vs. Anderson is the #1 fight I want to see. But a fight between the top two fighters in the world isn't much worse.

How many more fights do you want to see, and what price are you willing to pay for them? One of the things I love about MMA/UFC is that it is uncomprising. Get on board or get out of the way. Dana White isn't trying to get a Disneyland sponsorship, and I like it that way. We're already getting plenty of awesome MMA and plenty of mediocre MMA if you're watching everything.

The best part about MMA getting big is ESPN doing Inside MMA, but the worst thing about MMA getting bigger is that ESPN butchered Inside MMA.

---------- Post added February-8th-2011 at 12:52 AM ----------

91Jd-m6Qy94

How many more fights do you want to see, and what price are you willing to pay for them?

$5 every Saturday night with a group of friends is chump change. Give me fights, as many as possible.

One of the things I love about MMA/UFC is that it is uncomprising. Get on board or get out of the way. Dana White isn't trying to get a Disneyland sponsorship

:ols: Way to reference a kids' theme park. I'm sure Dana wouldn't mind more huge sponsorships, or more network deals. It's a tough guy sport, and yes Dana is brash, but he isn't going to slam the door on big companies on the fence about MMA in honor of some toughness code.

We're already getting plenty of awesome MMA and plenty of mediocre MMA if you're watching everything.

The best part about MMA getting big is ESPN doing Inside MMA, but the worst thing about MMA getting bigger is that ESPN butchered Inside MMA.

Is that seriously the best part about MMA getting big? MMA Live is cool, but it's a 45 minute TV show. C'mon. How about the kids starting to gravitate towards the sport? I see kids doing their best impersonations of Anderson Silva, and it's amazing to me that they even know who he is. Even 5 years ago, most anyone I spoke to didn't know who Chuck Liddell was. Now, I go to the movie theater and overhear some kids debating on whether BJ will beat "that freakin' blanket Jon Fitch". The best part about MMA getting big is that people, kids in particular, are extremely enthusiastic about the sport. They are hitting the gyms at a young age; we are starting to see (and are going to be seeing) naturally gifted athletes, some of which who could excel at almost any sport, appear in MMA over the next few decades.

You sound content with where MMA is at, and for being the big supporter of Dana White that I know you are (I am as well), you shouldn't have that mindset. That guy is way too aspiring to settle for where MMA is at right now. He wants it to be the biggest sport in the world, I'm right there with him.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Inside MMA on HDNet is a hell of a lot better than MMA Live on ESPN. Much more informative and company neutral. Also HDNet as a whole is probably the best network for MMA right now period. They cover just about every MMA company from as big as UFC to as small as "EXTREME FIGHTS in Nowhereville, Nowhere"

They also offer a lot more analysis on the fights and fighters, rather then just making everything into a "hype" show.

Also, HDNet shows so many kickass MMA shows, you really get a good perspective of the sport as a whole, on every level of the sport.

Speaking of which, Strikeforce HW tourny starts this Saturday....WHOOOOO!

Also, no one has an issue with MMA getting bigger, but when you listen to Dana White speak on the sport, he really comes off as a guy who would be content with UFC growing and everything else staying a regional bush league promotion.

I remember back in the day he had good things to say about Scot Coker, until he signed Fedor, and then it was all the usual bad-mouthing s-talking he is known for.

I am not anti-Dana either. Most of the time I think the guy is genuine and pretty cool, but I can't stand the guy when he is asked about anything non-UFC, because he is pretty abrasive and ridiculous and you pretty much know he is just being full of *****.

Edited by NoCalMike

Exactly.

Serra is a natural 155er, btw

He didn't get out wrestled or look weaker than Serra... he got hit by a big shot. It's called "punchers chance" and it's happens in fight sports. The rematch wasn't even close.

Jake Shields beat and ancient Dan Henderson and suddenly he's greatness.... no. Jake Shields looks slow and barely capable of beating Kappmann (say hello to a split decision) who is far from elite. No lucky punches there we had to sum up ineffective take downs by both fighters to arrive at a conclusion. Both were gassed in a three round fight to boot. I don't think GSP is unstoppable because of this suspect chin. I just think you need speed to catch him on the button. Jake Shields doesn't have any from what I've seen and his cardio is bad which is a horrible combination to have in this particular match up. If he doesn't get a stoppage early in the fight he's screwed, and how many people think a man with 4 TKO's ever (one in the last three years) is going to knock a champ out with his stand up game?

Edited by Destino

Inside MMA on HDNet is a hell of a lot better than MMA Live on ESPN. Much more informative and company neutral. Also HDNet as a whole is probably the best network for MMA right now period. They cover just about every MMA company from as big as UFC to as small as "EXTREME FIGHTS in Nowhereville, Nowhere"

I agree, Inside MMA is the best MMA news show out there. Comcast doesn't have HDNet here and I can't get DirecTV where I live. :(

I had wondered that about a five-rounder for a proposed GSP-Silva fight. Think back at some of the decisions in main event three rounders that would have likely been different if they went to five. I don't know about Rampage and Machida, but one that sticks out in my head is Rashad and Thiago Silva. Evans won the fight by decision, but the tide was turning in Silva's favor significantly. Then again, if Silva did not showboat, incorrectly thinking he had won the fight, he probably could have finished Rashad.

I had wondered that about a five-rounder for a proposed GSP-Silva fight. Think back at some of the decisions in main event three rounders that would have likely been different if they went to five. I don't know about Rampage and Machida, but one that sticks out in my head is Rashad and Thiago Silva. Evans won the fight by decision, but the tide was turning in Silva's favor significantly. Then again, if Silva did not showboat, incorrectly thinking he had won the fight, he probably could have finished Rashad.

Anderson/GSP will most likely be for the MW title so it will be 5 rounds anyway

i'm not sure i like 5 round main event for non-title fights. imagine getting stuck with a Mir/CroCop situation for 5 rounds.

Rampage by ko.

I hope so. But I would lean toward it being the same as the last time.

---------- Post added February-9th-2011 at 01:21 PM ----------

Anderson/GSP will most likely be for the MW title so it will be 5 rounds anyway

i'm not sure i like 5 round main event for non-title fights. imagine getting stuck with a Mir/CroCop situation for 5 rounds.

Good point...for some reason my brain was telling me it would be a catchweight at that moment in time.

Yeah, two more rounds or Mir/CroCop would not have been pleasing. It is a tough call. Two more rounds would be great for some fights, not so much for others. It is also a slippery slope. It is something that makes championship fights a little more special.

apparently MMAweekly knows something Thiago Silva doesn't :ols:

http://tatame.com.br/2011/02/09/Thiago-nega-lesao-e-vai-lutar-com-Rampage

Hearing the news, we contacted by phone Thiago Silva, and the fighter was surprised. "Hurt me? Rather, I am very healthy and not wait to fight with Rampage. This is a lie, "says James, supported by Conan Silveira, one of the leaders of American Top Team. "Do nothing until we arrived, the fight is marked yes." Stay tuned on the tatami to learn more about the confusion.