Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

dana just said in the press conference if GSP wins, the superfight will happen

Yes, I love it...

I know alot of you give him no chance. But i'm saying it right now GSP beats him easly winning all 5 rounds. I'm willing to sig bet anyone GSP wins the fight. To me its a terrible style fight for Anderson he will be taken down over and over easily.

I think too many people are using the Chael Sonnen fight as a justification of why they think GSP will win.

Reasons I disagree, GSP moving up will not nearly be as strong as true 185ers. He will also be at an extreme reach disadvantage. Remember how GSP jabbed Kosceck to death? I could see Silva winning the fight doing the exact thing to GSP if he wanted to.

Secondly, lets say GSP does get some take downs....then what? Silva is so long and lean, I could see him being too much on the ground for GSP to overcome, and easily getting back to his feet, or a sub.

Thirdly, we see how GSP reacts to getting hit squarely. There is a reason that ever since Serra KO'd him, he doesn't want to take contact. For good reason. While that is a perfectly acceptable strategy I don't see GSP being able to avoid contact against Silva. In order to get takedowns GSP is going to have to shoot in from pretty far away. He might have to be willing to eat some shots in order to get inside on Silva.

Also, after Sonnen tested positive for roids, and it was revealed Silva fought the fight injured, I am calling somewhat shenanigans on the fight. Or at least shenanigans that Sonnen was that dominating for most of the fight. Will be interesting to see if Sonnen gets back into position to challenge Silva again.

If Shogun gets past Bones (I think he will) I would be much more interested in seeing Silva go to LHW, and fight Shogun, or maybe have a couple fights at LHW and then fight Shogun, than Silva vs. GSP.

On the Jon Bones Jones note. Dude is for real, and I think he is the future of the LHW division, however I think it is a little bit early to hot shot him to the title shot. Why is a guy like Machida fighting Couture? With Rampage, Machida, Thiago Silva etc etc in the LHW division, why is Ryan f'n Bader a barometer of how good a fighter is? I don't think Bader sucks or anything, but I think when you look at Bones vs. Bader, I think it is a clear example of one guy being the real deal future prospect vs the "I am under UFC contract, so I must be overhyped way too early to draw in the crowds" type fighter.

Ryan Bader is certainly not on the level of a Machida or Rampage or even T. Silva at this point. Those are three guys I think would give Bones a better fight, and would be a better barometer of exactly where he is at, before giving him title shot.

But hey, it is a business, right? I guess the dollars and cents make sense to to Bones v. Shogun. I think right now Shogun wins the fight. Bones, like I said is the future, but you still see in his fights he gets away with playing fast and loose sometimes because of the caliber of opponents he has face so far, which is why I think he should face a Top 5 contender before getting a title shot, but hey I could be way off here, right?

Thoughts?

I enjoyed the PPV, I watched it at a live MMA event that unfortunately got canceled due to the money for the winners being stolen (sounded like a fishy story). It was cool though because Clay Guida's brother was supposed to headline it, so at the very least I got to watch the PPV and get a picture and talk to Clay Guida for a while.

I think too many people are using the Chael Sonnen fight as a justification of why they think GSP will win.

Reasons I disagree, GSP moving up will not nearly be as strong as true 185ers. He will also be at an extreme reach disadvantage. Remember how GSP jabbed Kosceck to death? I could see Silva winning the fight doing the exact thing to GSP if he wanted to.

Secondly, lets say GSP does get some take downs....then what? Silva is so long and lean, I could see him being too much on the ground for GSP to overcome, and easily getting back to his feet, or a sub.

Thirdly, we see how GSP reacts to getting hit squarely. There is a reason that ever since Serra KO'd him, he doesn't want to take contact. For good reason. While that is a perfectly acceptable strategy I don't see GSP being able to avoid contact against Silva. In order to get takedowns GSP is going to have to shoot in from pretty far away. He might have to be willing to eat some shots in order to get inside on Silva.

Also, after Sonnen tested positive for roids, and it was revealed Silva fought the fight injured, I am calling somewhat shenanigans on the fight. Or at least shenanigans that Sonnen was that dominating for most of the fight. Will be interesting to see if Sonnen gets back into position to challenge Silva again.

If Shogun gets past Bones (I think he will) I would be much more interested in seeing Silva go to LHW, and fight Shogun, or maybe have a couple fights at LHW and then fight Shogun, than Silva vs. GSP.

On the Jon Bones Jones note. Dude is for real, and I think he is the future of the LHW division, however I think it is a little bit early to hot shot him to the title shot. Why is a guy like Machida fighting Couture? With Rampage, Machida, Thiago Silva etc etc in the LHW division, why is Ryan f'n Bader a barometer of how good a fighter is? I don't think Bader sucks or anything, but I think when you look at Bones vs. Bader, I think it is a clear example of one guy being the real deal future prospect vs the "I am under UFC contract, so I must be overhyped way too early to draw in the crowds" type fighter.

Ryan Bader is certainly not on the level of a Machida or Rampage or even T. Silva at this point. Those are three guys I think would give Bones a better fight, and would be a better barometer of exactly where he is at, before giving him title shot.

But hey, it is a business, right? I guess the dollars and cents make sense to to Bones v. Shogun. I think right now Shogun wins the fight. Bones, like I said is the future, but you still see in his fights he gets away with playing fast and loose sometimes because of the caliber of opponents he has face so far, which is why I think he should face a Top 5 contender before getting a title shot, but hey I could be way off here, right?

Thoughts?

I've been saying GSP would beat him for a long while. While Lutter is good on the ground and Sonnen is a more accomplished wrestler it means nothing compared to GSP there not on that level. GSP is a great athlete with dominating control wresting. Rashad flatout said GSP man handles him in practice said he is ridiculusly strong. And lets not forget Sonnen was hitting Silva cleanly. I think people forget GSP is a phenemol striker sure he got fluke ko'd once does that really mean his chin is garbage?

I'm so confident in GSP winning this fight i'm hoping to find some suckers to make me some money. I've been around MMA training enough to know a dominant wrestler wins everytime. GSP is a complete fighter with no holes in his game. Like Florian said last night he thinks GSP beats him and has a chance to be regarded as the best ever. Florian said is walking around at 195lbs now and plans to bulk up to 210lbs and stay at 185.

Edited by Samuels

I'm so confident in GSP winning this fight i'm hoping to find some suckers to make me some money. I've been around MMA training enough to know a dominant wrestler wins everytime. GSP is a complete fighter with no holes in his game. Like Florian said last night he thinks GSP beats him and has a chance to be regarded as the best ever. Florian said is walking around at 195lbs now and plans to bulk up to 210lbs and stay at 185.

Sonnen disagrees with you

on a sidenote:

Bones opens as the slight favorite against Shogun: http://www.bestfightodds.com/

Bones -155, Shogun +125

Edited by StillUnknown

I saw the fights at Buffalo Wild Wings here in Sacramento. I recorded the Main Event on my phone, but mainly to record the crowd reaction for when the inevitable happened. Here it is

I am waiting for the Anderson Silva/Dhaslim mashup gif, cause that front kick reminded me of a Dhaslim kick from Street Fighter 2.

RE: GSP, again we'll see. Moving up in weight is easier in theory than in reality. I am not ready to say that GSP can manhandle Silva on the ground just because he scores a takedown. Look at Sonnen's face after his fight with Silva, it was beat up and bruised and bloodied. While Silva's face looked virtually unscathed at all, despite us seeing him take some punches while on the bottom. For a guy that was on top in a dominant position, he sure came out of the fight worse for wear. Anderson Silva is a legit black belt in BJJ, not sure if has fought anyone with ground skills like that besides Matt Hughes, who was pretty much an over the hill fighter by the time they fought for the second time. Silva isn't John Fitch or Thiago Alves on the ground. He is going to just be taken down and laid on. He might be on the bottom, but he will be serving you up punishment the entire time you are trying to work for a sub or some GnP.

I still think GSP could have some success at 185, there are plenty of mid-level overhyped fighters in that weight division that I think he could beat *cough*Bisping*cough, but Anderson Silva...nope.

Edited by NoCalMike

I was not expecting A Silva to take out Vitor like that.....I was shocked I thought it was going to be a boring technical striking battle that went 5 and ended in a split decision win for Anderson....while I wanted Vitor to win I like when the best fighter on the planet actually fights.

The other fights were decent but was really dissapointed in the Torres fight....thought that was going to be a war and it was a bore.

Glad to see Jones, and Cowboy get the win as well....Jones vs Shogun is gonna be sweet....dont know if Jones is ready though but he is young enough that this will not be his only shot.

I was not expecting A Silva to take out Vitor like that.....I was shocked I thought it was going to be a boring technical striking battle that went 5 and ended in a split decision win for Anderson....while I wanted Vitor to win I like when the best fighter on the planet actually fights.

The other fights were decent but was really dissapointed in the Torres fight....thought that was going to be a war and it was a bore.

Glad to see Jones, and Cowboy get the win as well....Jones vs Shogun is gonna be sweet....dont know if Jones is ready though but he is young enough that this will not be his only shot.

I did'nt think Vitor had a chance honestly said it a few pages back. This was a perfect style fight for Anderson in that Vitor is notoriously aggressive playing right into Silva's counter striking. I think the kick just surprised Vitor but he woulda been ko'd anyway.

Edited by Samuels