Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

If he beats Dan Miller they have to give the next MW title shot to Okami....unless Wanderlei gets a win over Franklin and they want to really push the Silva vs. Silva smack talk that's been going on.

As a Wandy fan, I would love to see it, but you are right, Okami deserves the title shot if he gets by Miller.

We also probably need to keep Akiyama in mind for an eventual shot at the belt. The fight he has coming up with Belcher should be interesting, but if he can string a few wins together, he is probably going to get a shot. Especially considering his Asian following.

Akiyama is the man, but Belcher is no joke. Stiff test for his first fight in the UFC.

It is a really tough fight. Belcher lobbied for it and he got it. I like Belcher because he has some fire to him. He wants to face the best.

That being said, I think Akiyama wins it.

I am excited to see that one, as well as about every other fight on that card. As bad as UFC 97 was, 100 is going to be a monster card.

As a Wandy fan, I would love to see it, but you are right, Okami deserves the title shot if he gets by Miller.

I think both are pretty interesting and would gain a lot of attention from fans. I'd also like to see him rematch Dan Henderson eventually (assuming Hendo gets a few more wins).

It's kind of sad that the Strikeforce card was a lot better. UFC 97 had all of the makings of a good card but ended up flopping. It seems to happen like that a lot of the cards that look stacked end up being boring and the cards that look like a drag end up being thrillers.

I think that has to do with fighters on those "weak" cards not being at the top of the food chain, so to speak. They have something to prove; a spectacular showing can make them jump way ahead in the rankings. Think about it, if Anderson was just starting out and was on the undercard against THALES LEITES, do you think he would have fought the same way? No, he would have firmly planted his fist in the back of Thales' eye cavity.

There are some fighters that are content taking it cautiously up to the top, but most of the time guys that have something to prove go out there and want to kill someone.

The only formula I can think of for a firmly-implanted champion like Silva, is to bring in Vitor Belfort, Manhoef, Mousassi, JZ, and let them get a few fights in while Silva takes on an expendable LHW. I know that's pretty much impossible, but it's not like a potential talent pool in MW isn't possible. The UFC has every god damned LHW there is, but middleweights are spread out all over the place.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

I think both are pretty interesting and would gain a lot of attention from fans. I'd also like to see him rematch Dan Henderson eventually (assuming Hendo gets a few more wins).

Hell, I forgot about Hendo...

I think Hendo is going to be right in line for a shot if (and that is a relatively big if) he can get by Bisping.

I think Hendo is the only guy that has really posed a threat to Anderson since he has been in the UFC. He just made a very costly mistake. I know he wants that fight again.

So at least there are some intriguing possibilities that are lining up for A. Silva:

Henderson

W. Silva

Okami

Akiyama

Bisping (if he gets by Hendo and picks up another win or two)

Maia (if he convinces Dana he won't pul, a Leites)

And we can't forget GSP, which I think will happen this year at some point.

The only formula I can think of for a firmly-implanted champion like Silva, is to bring in Vitor Belfort, Manhoef, Mousassi, JZ, and let them get a few fights in while Silva takes on an expendable LHW. I know that's pretty much impossible, but it's not like a potential talent pool in MW isn't possible. The UFC has every god damned LHW there is, but middleweights are spread out all over the place.

At least it is getting better. I think there will be some legitimate threats for Silva soon. But I would love to see Belfort, JZ or Mousasi against Silva. About a year ago, I would have said the same thing about Manhoef. But he has been a mess (relatively speaking) recently.

I think Hendo is going to be right in line for a shot if (and that is a relatively big if) he can get by Bisping.

Despite the fact that I have not been impressed with Hendo since he's been in the UFC, I still see him cleaning Bisping's clock. Michael better raise his game 2 notches for Dan. The only thing Bisping has done to surprise me in his career was to go to a close decision with Rashad Evans but even then Evans wasn't showing his best stuff like he has lately.

Am I the only one that can see Anderson Silva run into some problems with his corner when he actually faces real competition? It looks like he just has a bunch of his cronies as his corner men who don't really offer him any advice and have no idea how to fix him up between rounds. The only thing I ever saw them do to help him out between rounds was one of the guys hold his nose up like a pig so he could breathe through the blood. It kind of reminds me of Mike Tyson's joke of a corner when he thought he was invincible and couldn't be damaged.

Edited by Patrick86L

At least it is getting better. I think there will be some legitimate threats for Silva soon. But I would love to see Belfort, JZ or Mousasi against Silva. About a year ago, I would have said the same thing about Manhoef. But he has been a mess (relatively speaking) recently.

I know he got dropped by someone he was supposed to decapitate in K1, but he did just KO Mark Hunt. Yeah, Hunt is getting old, but even Cro Cop's temple tap couldn't KO Hunt. Bah, Manhoef would be a great answer to Anderson's standup if that chin wasn't suspect.

Despite the fact that I have not been impressed with Hendo since he's been in the UFC, I still see him cleaning Bisping's clock. Michael better raise his game 2 notches for Dan. The only thing Bisping has done to surprise me in his career was to go to a close decision with Rashad Evans but even then Evans wasn't showing his best stuff like he has lately.

Yep. Evans would maul Bisping now. Hendo should (and I hope he does) win relatively easily.

I would have liked to see Hamill fight Bisping again. But that ain't gonna happen now.

Oops, I was thinking Jacare. I goofed.

i don't think Anderson would ever fight Jacare, he helped him train for Leites. they're good friends i believe

Manhoeff seems to be at a stage where he either KO's someone, or gets blasted himself

Bisping will get a shot immediately if he beats Hendo, although i cant see one area MMA in which Bisping would be better than Anderson.

Wandy is an intriguing option if they want to put someone in who will play right into Anderson's counter-striking. it'll be hard to justify giving Wandy a shot on the basis of beating Franklin at a catchweight though. he'd have to win at least 2 at MW to get a shot IMO. honestly as a Wandy fan, i don't want to see that fight, it would get ugly for Wand real fast.

a rematch with Henderson seems to be the most likely of all scenarios, that doesn't include Anderson going up to 205.

at 205 there are alot of great matchups:

Luiz Cane

Shogun

Rampage

Rashad (if he manages to beat Machida, Anderson would want revenge)

I know he got dropped by someone he was supposed to decapitate in K1, but he did just KO Mark Hunt. Yeah, Hunt is getting old, but even Cro Cop's temple tap couldn't KO Hunt. Bah, Manhoef would be a great answer to Anderson's standup if that chin wasn't suspect.

I missed the Hunt fight. But, mixing K-1 and MMA, he has not looked very good the last few times I have seen him. He can drop anyone at any time though.

Wandy is an intriguing option if they want to put someone in who will play right into Anderson's counter-striking. it'll be hard to justify giving Wandy a shot on the basis of beating Franklin at a catchweight though. he'd have to win at least 2 at MW to get a shot IMO. honestly as a Wandy fan, i don't want to see that fight, it would get ugly for Wand real fast.

As a Wandy guy myself, I don't know if I want to see it either. But it is the perfect remedy for A. Silva's current situation.

You know Wandy is going to try his best to put on a show, win or lose. And I can just see people saying "See, I told you Anderson is not boring" after the fight.

I think Wandy could win, but I would definitely favor Anderson. It would be a war, but it would probably end quickly either way.

Edited by lovetoaster

He needs someone that's going to come at him with everything and not just jump on his ass and try to pull guard.

Okami should be a lot better fight because I think there's some bad blood there. I'm not sure why though. I just remember that Anderson kept going after Okami and the ref had to hold him back then Anderson got pissed as hell and started talking ****.

Then the whole Wanderlei thing. Wandy had some harsh words for Anderson last week. If Wanderlei can somehow beat Rich Franklin in a dramatic fashion (and not get KTFO himself) I think he should get consideration for a shot at Anderson just because it would be such a big fight.

I think the smack talk and bad blood from those two fights would light a fire under Anderson's ass and not have him doing lame dances for 25 minutes against an opponent that is obviously afraid to stand.

Hell, I forgot about Hendo...

I think Hendo is the only guy that has really posed a threat to Anderson since he has been in the UFC. He just made a very costly mistake. I know he wants that fight again.

So at least there are some intriguing possibilities that are lining up for A. Silva:

Henderson

W. Silva

Okami

Akiyama

Bisping (if he gets by Hendo and picks up another win or two)

Maia (if he convinces Dana he won't pul, a Leites)

And we can't forget GSP, which I think will happen this year at some point.

I think Hendo will take care of Bisping and may need to fight one more fight if they have Anderson/Okami set up. I think if they do the GSP fight it will be on one of the end of the year/beginning of the year supercards which would leave probably two more fights for Anderson and for GSP between now and then.

GSP vs. Alves is going to be GSP's toughest to date IMO. BJ Penn couldn't match his size or strength so that wasn't as tough of a fight as some were thinking it would be.

Alves is a lot bigger and a little stronger than GSP and isn't going to be taken down so easily. GSP is probably going to have to stand with him for a couple of rounds and hopes that Alves gases out. But I have a lot of confidence in Greg Jackson's ability to get GSP ready for this fight.

One thing is for sure, if GSP wins this one in a dominating fashion he needs to be the #1 P4P in the world. Especially after Anderson's last two snoozefests of wins and after GSP dominated Penn like he did. The only other argument I could see would be Fedor if he dominates Barnett or whoever his opponent is this summer.

Edited by #98QBKiller

i don't think Anderson would ever fight Jacare, he helped him train for Leites. they're good friends i believe

Manhoeff seems to be at a stage where he either KO's someone, or gets blasted himself

Bisping will get a shot immediately if he beats Hendo, although i cant see one area MMA in which Bisping would be better than Anderson.

a rematch with Henderson seems to be the most likely of all scenarios, that doesn't include Anderson going up to 205.

at 205 there are alot of great matchups:

Luiz Cane

Shogun

Rampage

Rashad (if he manages to beat Machida, Anderson would want revenge)

Before you know it, every Brazilian is going to be friends and they'll never fight each other. There are QB's that are friends with defensive ends that have probably knocked the snot out of their nose before. Sure, it's fighting, but guys that don't know each other hug and praise one another after fights all the time. I'm sure you can stay friends.

Cane sounds like a good fight, although I don't know if the UFC would want to deter one of their sound prospects.

I'd like to see Shogun get another fight in before getting Silva. Let him get back in to really good shape. A prime Shogun is just as creative as Silva. This seems like a fight Dana would find a reason to put on. I think he offered Shogun a chance at Chuck after the Coleman fight because he thought Chuck would blast him through the arena. Wrong. However, he should realize Shogun is too marketable, and a fight with Silva could be a lose/lose situation for the company.

Rampage? Hell yeah. But we all know he's healing up to take on the winner of the championship fight.

Rashad and Anderson could be a good fight, but the likelihood of him getting tagged to death is high. I still think Evans poses a serious threat with those newly-found missiles. But if Forrest avoided them, Anderson probably can.

One thing is for sure, if GSP wins this one in a dominating fashion he needs to be the #1 P4P in the world. Especially after Anderson's last two snoozefests of wins and after GSP dominated Penn like he did. The only other argument I could see would be Fedor if he dominates Barnett or whoever his opponent is this summer.

even if GSP wins in dominating fashion, i still wouldn't rank him over Fedor. had he not lost to Serra, maybe, but that loss stands out, especially when Fedor doesn't have anything comparable. i know GSP got revenge on serra, but that first fight is a determining factor for me

and given the fact that fedor has defeated top 5 competition in his last 2 fights in less than 5 combined minutes. he remains top dog on my list

Edited by StillUnknown

even if GSP wins in dominating fashion, i still wouldn't rank him over Fedor. had he not lost to Serra, maybe, but that loss stands out, especially when Fedor doesn't have anything comparable. i know GSP got revenge on serra, but that first fight is a determining factor for me

and given the fact that fedor has defeated top 5 competition in his last 2 fights in less than 5 combined minutes. he remains top dog on my list

It's still a toss-up between the two for me. Right Now I have Fedor as the top guy but a dominating win over Alves would probably push GSP over the top for me. The Serra loss was two years ago and he came back and totally dominated Serra in the rematch. No one held onto Anderson's flying heel-hook loss to Ryo Chonan like they have to the Serra loss for GSP and Anderson never avenged that loss.

The only problem I have with Fedor is that he fought a lot of scrubs between the last Cro Cop bout and Tim Sylvia. Hong-Man-Choi, Zulu, Matt Lindland (not that he sucks but he has no business at HW) etc.

But like you said Fedor has been very dominant over top-ten guys in his last two fights. If he does the same to Barnett then I think it's going to be tough to choose between he and GSP.