Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

The extra choke on David Heath after he tapped.

He has said will be welcomed back later. He wants to fight more than they were going to let him anyway. I think he said this on Inside MMA (great show btw. I don't have HDNET, so I watch it online)

Makes you question the whole BJ/Pulver thing......... :laugh: Nevermind, don't want Sebowski after me again!

Alves missed weight, bout is now being fought at a catchweight of 174: http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=6435&zoneid=13

American Top Team fighter Thiago Alves, former UFC welterweight champion Matt Hughes’ opponent in the main event, weighed in at 174 pounds, a full three pounds over the allowable 171 pounds for a welterweight bout. The fight will still occur, but has been changed to an agreed upon catch weight of 174 pounds.

Main Bouts:

Matt Hughes (170) vs. Thiago Alves (174)

Jason Day (184) vs. Michael Bisping (184)

Mike Swick (170) vs. Marcus Davis (170)

Thales Leites (185) vs. Nate Marquardt (185)

Fabricio Werdum (247) vs. Brandon Vera (228)

Preliminary Bouts:

Martin Kampmann (186) vs. Jorge Rivera (185)

Thiago Tavares (154.5) vs. Matt Wiman (155)

Roan Carneiro (171) vs. Kevin Burns (170)

Luiz Cane (204) vs. Jason Lambert (205)

Jess Liaudin (169) vs. Paul Taylor (169)

Eddie Sanchez (244) vs. Antoni Hardonk (247)

i'm disappointed in Alves, i realize the fight was kind of short notice, but making weight is crucial. its not the first time he's had trouble making weight. now even if he smashes Hughes (which i sincerely hope he does), i doubt he gets a title shot until he proves he can make 170. the last think Dana will want is another Travis Lutter moment.

UFC 85: Not Important Enough To Make Weight

Alves missed weight, bout is now being fought at a catchweight of 174: http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=6435&zoneid=13

i'm disappointed in Alves, i realize the fight was kind of short notice, but making weight is crucial. its not the first time he's had trouble making weight. now even if he smashes Hughes (which i sincerely hope he does), i doubt he gets a title shot until he proves he can make 170. the last think Dana will want is another Travis Lutter moment.

UFC 85: Not Important Enough To Make Weight

I agree. Making weight is a big part of being/becoming a champion. If you have regular trouble making weight then you aren't taking it seriously enough.

the live event starts at 3pm(est) and will replay at 10pm(est)

my UFC 85 picks:

Thiago Alves vs. Matt Hughes: Alves not making weight will impact this match. i say Alves has to try and end the fight asap because about mid-way through the 2nd i expect him to start gassing. this match really comes down to Alves' takedown defense. if he can keep the fight standing, he should KO Hughes. that being said, i think Hughes will drag him into deep waters and get a stoppage in the 3rd round.

Hughes by TKO, 3rd Round (i hope i'm wrong though)

Brandon Vera vs. Fabricio Werdum: i have gone back and forth on this one. pretty even match-up all things considered. Vera will have a nice edge standing, and even though Vera is good on the ground, he's not in Werdum's league on the ground. Verdum showed some much improved striking against Gonzaga, so its obvious his training with Chute Box is improving his game. Vera needs to have an impressive showing, so i look for him to keep it standing. if Werdum gets it to the ground, he could submit Vera. i'm thinking this will actually be a good fight and Vera will catch Werdum with a knee in the 2nd round that leads to a stoppage.

Vera by TKO, 2nd Round

Nate Marquardt vs. Thales Leites: another even match-up. both are great on the ground, both have good to decent stand up. this has the potential to be a boring fight as both are pretty technical, especially if it ends up on the ground.

Leites by Split Decision

Michael Bisping vs. Jason Day: Day won't just sit back and eat a million knees like McCarthy did. Day has some good striking and will test Bisping, but Bisping will outlast him over 3 rounds.

Bisping by Unanimous Decision

Marcus Davis vs. Mike Swick: i'm not completely sold on Davis just yet. Swick looked pretty bad against Burkman even though he got the win. the striking edge goes to Davis with the dynamite he has in his hands, although Swick's length could present a problem.

Davis by TKO, 2nd Round

Thiago Tavares vs. Matt Wiman: Tavares had a boring performance his last time out and will look to finish this fight early. Tavares in my opinion should've gotten the decision against Tyson Griffin in their fight, and should still be undefeated. He's a young star who could be contending for the LW title in the future, and he's now training with Big Nog and Anderson Silva so that can only help him.

Tavares by Submission, 1st Round

Thiago Alves vs. Matt Hughes:

Hughes by submission, 2nd Round

Brandon Vera vs. Fabricio Werdum:

Vera by KTFO, 3rd Round

Nate Marquardt vs. Thales Leites:

Nate by Unanimous Decision

Michael Bisping vs. Jason Day:

Bisping by Unanimous Decision

Marcus Davis vs. Mike Swick: TOUGH CALL...

Davis by KO late

Thiago Tavares vs. Matt Wiman: If Thiago can hang with Tyson Griffin, he can annihilate Matt Wyman.

Tavares by Submission, 1st Round

Thanks again, SU for the great template.

I hope my UFC 85 knee-jerk predictions make me look good. I won't order the day broadcast for sure and I haven't made a decision on the night show.

UFC 85: When's 86?

mmamania called it UFC 85: Cursed

Has a quote from Dana:

“I’m wondering if this kid [Thiago Alves] should be at 170 or not. If this were a title fight, I’d be really pissed. What are you going to do? Matt Hughes agreed to fight him at 175, so it’s not all bad. … I can’t wait to get this card behind me, to be honest with you. Eight guys dropped out. The main event guy can’t make weight. It’s crazy.”

– UFC President Dana White shares his thoughts via Yahoo!Sports.com

Sounds like Thiago is in hot water and better think about bulking up to make a run at 185.

UFC 85 picks:

Fabricio Werdum vs. Brandon Vera: I think Vera can negate Werdum's style pretty well in this fight. Werdum did show very surprising standup against Gonzaga in their last fight, although Gonzaga looked sluggish and confused. It looked like Couture took a lot out of Gonzaga's purpose. Vera will be able to match Werdum's clinch and should land more strikes in that position. The standup goes to Vera by a longshot, and I'd be very surprised if Werdum can keep him on the ground. I'll take Vera by KO in the 2nd.

Nate Marquardt vs. Thiago Leites: This should be a good fight. Leites is a very good prospect as a ground fighter, and Nate is a good test for him if it goes down there. Subbing Jeremy Horn is a great feather in his cap, even though Horn looked out of it from the get-go. I think both of these guys can score against each other on the ground, but Nate's experience against high quality fighters will give him an edge, mostly in setting a tough pace. G&P TKO Round 2, Nate.

Marcus Davis vs. Mike Swick: I've had my eye on Marcus Davis for a while. You all know that I want him to crush a path to GSP. But the more I think about it, the more this fight scares me. Swick has some insane hand speed. Yeah, we all know that, but watching his fights a few times will make you raise your eyebrows as to how much zip his straight punches have. Davis likes throwing bombs, and they are also pretty fast. He needs to get inside on Swick, who will be trying to keep him at bay by back pedaling around the octagon and suddenly stopping to throw those straights. But Davis has a tough jaw and will eat a few combos to land his haymakers. I think Swick is too weak at welterweight to fend off the natural power of Davis. KO round 2, Marcus.

Michael Bisping vs. Jason Day: Day is stepping in on short notice, but to me, he is an interesting matchup for Bisping. Let's not forget that the short notice might equate to how short of a layoff Bisping has had. Although, Bisping DID roll right through Charles McCarthy. I know it's hardly popular to say this in the MMA fan-world, but Bisping's standup is pretty damn underrated. While not pretty by any means, it is formidable. I think Bisping is feeling it, and doesn't want to let go of a new-found comfort zone in middleweight. While Day could be a surprise for Bisping here, and is probably an interesting long shot to consider, I see Bisping winning with a nice TKO late in the second round. Albeit with a small cut below his eye. Bisping TKO, second round.

Matt Hughes vs. Thiago Alves: Christ, the news of Alves overweight by 4 lbs is the perfect cherry on top of the ****-cake UFC 85 has become. Have to wonder if Alves got injured or simply has been binging on Guinness for the past 3 days. In any event, I think Hughes' mentality has been shotgun blasted by GSP. Really, what does Hughes have? His wrestling strength looked null against GSP, any speed that he did have before is gone, and the only weapon he really ever had was his ability to do damage or sub from top positions. Alves, barring any injuries we don't know about yet, should win this fight. He is fast, strong, young, a smart of a fighter (not considering coming in at 174), he owns the standup all day in this fight, and should be able to speed around on the ground against Hughes. Christ almighty though, the weight problem throws an unknown loop in this fight, so picking is a shot in the dark. I'll go with what I thought would happen before this news came, Thiago TKO Round 3.

I am not allowed by my "good ol booy" standards to ever vote against Hughes. It would cost me dearly in the "community".

Another thing I forgot to mention is that Hughes has prolly been ridin' on his good ole John Deer so much that his right calf might be stronger than normal from pressing that gas pedal. Watch for him to shoot off his right leg fast as hell and take this to the ground.

UFC 85: Should be on Spike for Free

Vera vs. Werdum up first

Thats what streams are for I guess.

I have my 63inch tv split with the stream and the soccer game. Can't complain.

BS stoppage by the same ref that did the Kimbo fight.

Maybe he was getting too much heating for letting Kimbo get elbowed for 90 seconds before the end of round two. This stoppage just makes that look even worse now.

Once you get warned for something it is your fault if a point gets taken awy. You should be extra careful.

Oh man, that was a BS call and it's as simple as that. Of course you should be careful after warnings, but the refs are starting to act like they're figure skating judges. I'm sick of this ****.