Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

You all know I'm a huge fan of American Top Team and a distant part of their family and we are all excited about UFC 85. Din Thomas used to be their top UFC guy and Marcus "Maximus" Aurelio in his Pride days. They're star right now is Thiago "Pit Bull" Alves and we're excited to see what he can do against Hughes after that awesome knee KO against Parysian.

Also, if you're a hometown MMA fan, you know that even though Brandon "The Truth" Vera fights out of CA, he got his start with Team Lloyd Irvin out of Camp Springs, MD and that Irvin can still be seen in Vera's corner for every fight.

I don't think UFC 85 is that bad either.

As a Maryland born San Diego trasnplant I love Vera too. Werdum is an underrated fighter. He would be the beat the anyone on EliteXC's, or Strikeforce's roster.

I guess I might as well get to my picks if we're talking about the card.

Main Card Bouts:

Matt Hughes vs. Thiago Alves - I ike Alves. I hope he has been working solely on takedown defense for this fight. Hughes is trying to prove he isn't the shell of himself that GSP made him look like. I see Hughes getting this fight to the ground often. Not sure he can finish Alves though. I hate Hughes, but I have to pick him here.

Hughes by decision

Nate Marquardt vs. Thales Leites - Marquardt looked almost unbeatable for a stretch there until he faced Anderson Silva. Lietes has looked good recently. This should be a very good fight. I'd like to see the winner fight Okami or Franklin

Marquartd by split decision

Fabricio Werdum vs. Brandon Vera - I really like both these fighters. I'm a Vera homer though so it is a tough one for me to break down. Vera has him on striking, Werdum has great BJJ, but Vera is good in scrambles.

Vera by KO

Michael Bisping vs. Jason Day - The crowd will be amped for this one. That always makes a fight more exciting. I'm not a big Bisping believer. Day has a real shot here. But if I had to bet....

Bisping by TKO

Marcus Davis vs. Mike Swick - Potential fight of the night here. I never liked Davis, but he has won me over. He has gotten so much better since his days as a boxer on TUF. This is Swick's second fight at 170. He should be more prepared for the weight cut. He was very disappointed in his last performance. I expect this one to be a war.

Swick by submission in the third

Preliminary Bouts:

Martin Kampmann vs. Jorge Rivera - I'm excited to see Kampman back after his injury. He is one of the best kick boxers in the division if not the sport. This is a great matchup for him as I don't think Rivera will be take him down repeatedly. Kampann is small for the division and I'm curious to see how much bigger Rivera will be.

Kampmann by KO

Keith Burns vs. Roan Carneiro - Carneiro by sub

Thiago Tavares vs. Matt Wiman - Tavares is a ground wiz.

Tavares by sub of the night

Jess Liaudin vs. Paul Taylor - Liadin by TKO

Eddie Sanchez vs. Antoni Hardonk - With a win I think they feed Hardonk to a bigger name.

Hardonk by KO

Jason Lambert vs. Luiz Arthur Cane - Lambert by decision.

2nbxd7m.jpg

Faber better be lucky Mazzagatti wasn't reffing that match :laugh:

I thought the same thing. :laugh:

I am so glad Rosenthal was the ref there. I look forward to seeing him in the middle of the ring from now on. Perfect non-stoppage that would have been stopped by other refs.

This might have been the greatest Jens Pulver performance ever. Regardless of the outcome. Bottom line--it wasn't enough.

Do you really want to watch this loser deteriorate for the next two years before retirement?

No, I don't either. Bring on the newer talent.

So Pulver is a loser and Betts is better than Portis. :doh:

Nexxxxxxxxxxxttttttttttttttt

Great article on Kimbo, his fight with Thompson, and the EliteXC/ABC promotion.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=dw-kimbo060108&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Many long-time mixed martial arts fans think Saturday’s Kimbo Slice fight on CBS was fixed because, well, it looked exactly like what they think a fixed fight would look like.

Personally, I don’t think it was rigged, if only because it worked. Kimbo, the obvious beneficiary since the entire promotion hinges on his success, won. For Elite XC to purposely deliver this desirable result would display a level of competency not seen in any other part of its amateur hour production.

But that’s just me. In the days after the first ever network televised card, everyone seems to have an opinion.

It generally splits into two groups.

Moderate to hardcore fans saw it as an abomination of their sport; CBS and Elite XC combining to produce a circus act headlined by an overhyped Kimbo that set the perception of MMA back a decade.

ADVERTISEMENT

New and casual fans saw it as great entertainment, especially considering it was on late Saturday night where the expectations of programming aren’t real high, although some viewers undoubtedly were.

Both sides are correct; it’s simply a matter of perspective.

If you’re a fan of MMA, then what Elite XC trotted out as a main event was mostly an absurd exhibition. It’s like tuning in for the NBA Finals and finding the And 1 Mixtape Tour – only with announcers pretending Hot Sauce is a better player than Kobe Bryant.

This was entirely predictable. Any promotion that was going to use Kimbo Slice as its main event clearly cared nothing about the quality or growth of the sport. It was just grabbing cheap viewers. If that meant sending a mostly unskilled street fighting sensation against a guy who was such a tomato can he should have dressed in red, then so be it.

Of course, the tomato can, James “Colossus” Thompson, almost won. At least, until the fight got stopped, Kimbo was declared the winner and MMA message boards almost collapsed in fury.

But if you didn’t know, or care, then you didn’t know or care. This was better than reruns of “Walker, Texas Ranger.”

What the main event lacked in quality it made up for in entertainment, unintentional or not. Here are my four favorite absurdly hysterical moments of the Kimbo-Colossus fight.

Click link for rest of article....

Wanna sig bet me Sebowski? I'll take Alves. His takedown defense will be fine, and even if he does end up on his back, don't forget that his BJJ trainer is Ricardo Liborio, one of the most decorated BJJ players ever and the late Grandmaster Carlson Gracie's top student.

Wanna sig bet me Sebowski? I'll take Alves. His takedown defense will be fine, and even if he does end up on his back, don't forget that his BJJ trainer is Ricardo Liborio, one of the most decorated BJJ players ever and the late Grandmaster Carlson Gracie's top student.

No thanks. I don't bet my sig.

Plus, I hate Hughes and will be rooting for Alves. I just see Hughes winning this one more often than losing it.

Great article on Kimbo, his fight with Thompson, and the EliteXC/ABC promotion.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=dw-kimbo060108&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

If you’re a fan of MMA, then what Elite XC trotted out as a main event was mostly an absurd exhibition. It’s like tuning in for the NBA Finals and finding the And 1 Mixtape Tour – only with announcers pretending Hot Sauce is a better player than Kobe Bryant.

Click link for rest of article....

Wonderful analogy.

CBS is really horrible at MMA. The cheerleaders dancing, Busta Rhymes coming out dancing, the MMA101 lessons, the 45325435 commercials. It just left a bad taste in my mouth; plus the fact that the fights were really lower tier in my opinion. The girl fight was the best fight of the night. The refs and dr's blew 2 of the fights.

I would hope they either sink some more money into it, educate them on how they should really run the show or just get rid of it totally. There was one moment during a fight when suddenly the camera was at the top of the stands looking down. WTF!!!

If nothing else, Gina Carano piqued my interest in the sport. She's so freaking cute. I went and watched some of her muay thai stuff. She's just ferocious in the ring. I hope she avoids getting one of those gross ass cauliflower ears, though. Yeesh!

The men's fights were all lackluster, especially having looked back on them after having watched the replay of some of the fights on the VS channel. Is it the WEC? Where Faber fought Pulver. That was a good fight. So were the other two I saw right before that one. I saw the Japanese dude fight the bantam weight champ and one other one were a 6'6 black dude fought somebody and nearly got his skull mashed into the mat.

Those were all really good fights.

Kimbo needs a lot of work. I think you put him in with one of the better fighters and he'll definitely lose. He has zero conditioning. Dude couldn't even do the interview afterwards. And that was after a commercial break, wasn't it? Not to mention he just laid there and took a bunch of weak elbows and did absolutely nothing about it. WTF, yo? Compared to the elbows that Faber was throwing, those seemed really soft. And homie's ear was disgusting! Colossus seems like he's had his brain scrambled a couple of times.

Many people think that was no accident.

oh, so THATS the controversial part everyone is speaking of?

man, thats so stupid. how absolutely embarrassing and such a rookie mistake.

they need some real training. :2cents:

IMO with Kimbo being as old as he is he will never become a real threat. he needs way too much training and I was shocked at how bad his cardio was.

Kimbo needs a lot of work. I think you put him in with one of the better fighters and he'll definitely lose. He has zero conditioning. Dude couldn't even do the interview afterwards. And that was after a commercial break, wasn't it? Not to mention he just laid there and took a bunch of weak elbows and did absolutely nothing about it. WTF, yo? Compared to the elbows that Faber was throwing, those seemed really soft.

That is one thing that really surprised me. I thought after working with Bas for so long that his ground game would be better, but it was awful. I know he is relatively new, but has been working with one of the greats for a while and he did not show me much.

oh, so THATS the controversial part everyone is speaking of?

man, thats so stupid. how absolutely embarrassing and such a rookie mistake.

they need some real training. :2cents:

IMO with Kimbo being as old as he is he will never become a real threat. he needs way too much training and I was shocked at how bad his cardio was.

They are saying that Kimbo tapped during that part. Remember how he was in that standing Guillotine and then all the sudden was put of it when the camera came back?

They are saying that Kimbo tapped during that part. Remember how he was in that standing Guillotine and then all the sudden was put of it when the camera came back?

wow. just totally blew it on all aspects...

UFC 85: damn I need a drink