Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

my picks for each event:

EliteXC

Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson vs. James Thompson: Thompson looks impressive if you've never seen him fight. He is perfect for Kimbo's showcase. I hope he doesn't do his charge across the ring right into a right hand again :doh:

Kimbo Slice by KO, 1st Round

Robbie Lawler vs. Scott Smith: I used to hate Lawler when he was in the UFC. I have since grown to be a fan of his. He has turned out to be a true contender at 185. Smith is a decent fighter, but he isn't in Lawler's class.

Robbie Lawler by KO, 1st Round

Gina Carano vs. Kaitlin Young: Carano didn't make weight for this fight and the NJSAC wouldn't give her the normal extra hours to cut the weight so she is surrendering 20% of her purse to her opponent. She has been dying to fight for a long time. I don't believe she is in this or fame. I think she went for fame to further her fighting, but maybe I just have a crush on Crush.

Carano by TKO, 3rd Round

Phil Baroni vs. Joey Villasenor: I like both these fighters. Baroni may have seen his better days, but he still brings it in every fight. He looked great in his last fight against an underrated Hose until he gassed. While Baroni is on his way down, Villasenor is on his way up.

Joey Villasenor by submission, 3rd round

Brett Rogers vs. Jon Murphy: Rogers looked good the only time I remember seeing him fight. The only thing that I know about Murphy is that he quit drinking. I don't like quitters.

Rogers by TKO, 1st Round

WEC

Urijah Faber vs. Jens Pulver: I'll be rooting for Pulver and I can see him winning, but I don't think he will.

Faber by submission, 4th Round

Miguel Torres vs. Yoshiro Maeda:

Torres is a beast at 135. Maeda is a replacement opponent.

Torres by Sub, 1st Round

Rob McCullough vs. Kenneth Alexander: This should be a showcase for WEC's former champ, Razor Rob.

Rob McCullough by KO, 1st Round

Jeff Curran vs. Mike Brown: Curran looked good against Faber. I don't really know Brown.

Jeff Curran by submission, 2nd round

Tsk, tsk, gentlemen. A weekend full of fights, and this thread almost makes it to the 3rd page.

Okay, so Thompson has been KO'd in his last two fights, and hasn't submitted anyone in 4 years. Gee, I wonder if Bas handpicked this opponent? No offense to Kimbo, but at least Brock is fighting decent opponents. Does he have any intent on fighting someone other than strikers?

Sorry, but I'm starting to think that Kimbo is the next Bob Sapp. Draws a crowd, but no real MMA skills. Bas has been babbling on and on about how improved he is, how skilled he is, blah, blah, blah. After this fight, its put up or shutup time. Honestly, I find his backyard boxing more entertaining than seeing him KO MMA cans.

Brett Rogers vs. Jon Murphy: Rogers looked good the only time I remember seeing him fight. The only thing that I know about Murphy is that he quit drinking. I don't like quitters.

Rogers by TKO, 1st Round

That might be the funniest thing I've ever read in this thread. :laugh:

Tsk, tsk, gentlemen. A weekend full of fights, and this thread almost makes it to the 3rd page.

Okay, so Thompson has been KO'd in his last two fights, and hasn't submitted anyone in 4 years. Gee, I wonder if Bas handpicked this opponent? No offense to Kimbo, but at least Brock is fighting decent opponents. Does he have any intent on fighting someone other than strikers?

Sorry, but I'm starting to think that Kimbo is the next Bob Sapp. Draws a crowd, but no real MMA skills. Bas has been babbling on and on about how improved he is, how skilled he is, blah, blah, blah. After this fight, its put up or shutup time. Honestly, I find his backyard boxing more entertaining than seeing him KO MMA cans.

i disagree with you slightly. i feel as though Kimbo is fighting guys he should be fighting right now. he's had all of 2 professional MMA fights so far (not counting his fight against Ray Mercer). If he was any other 2-0 fighter, there would not be one complaint about the level of guys he's fighting.

in some aspects i feel the UFC is handling Lesnar in the wrong way. I commend Lesnar and UFC for giving him tough fights, but he too is a MMA rookie essentially. If he loses to Herring, which is a real possiblity, his development and more important his drawing power (which is why he's in the UFC) is shot. I feel they are rushing Lesnar instead of putting him up against guys of similar talent. I would dare you to name any other fighter who was 1-1 in MMA being matched up with Heath Herring.

i don't have a problem with Kimbo's level of competition right now, if he's still fighting these same caliber of people after a few more fights, then i would feel differently about it.

i disagree with you slightly. i feel as though Kimbo is fighting guys he should be fighting right now. he's had all of 2 professional MMA fights so far (not counting his fight against Ray Mercer). If he was any other 2-0 fighter, there would not be one complaint about the level of guys he's fighting.

in some aspects i feel the UFC is handling Lesnar in the wrong way. I commend Lesnar and UFC for giving him tough fights, but he too is a MMA rookie essentially. If he loses to Herring, which is a real possiblity, his development and more important his drawing power (which is why he's in the UFC) is shot. I feel they are rushing Lesnar instead of putting him up against guys of similar talent. I would dare you to name any other fighter who was 1-1 in MMA being matched up with Heath Herring.

i don't have a problem with Kimbo's level of competition right now, if he's still fighting these same caliber of people after a few more fights, then i would feel differently about it.

My sentiments exactly.

Most pro fighters with 2 professional fights aren't headlining events, or having an organization essentially hang their hats on their name (maybe that's a slight exaggeration). I'm not saying that Kimbo should be fighting a Royce Gracie incarnate, but how about we see what he can do against someone that does something other than stand and strike with him?

Most pro fighters with 2 professional fights aren't headlining events, or having an organization essentially hang their hats on their name (maybe that's a slight exaggeration). I'm not saying that Kimbo should be fighting a Royce Gracie incarnate, but how about we see what he can do against someone that does something other than stand and strike with him?

thats a different argument though, and we agree. i don't think he should be headlining events.

unfortunately, sports is entertainment, and in entertainment its not about who's best, its about who's going to draw the most people.

look at boxing, De La Hoya has never been the best boxer, but he draws the most and sells the most PPV's.

thats a different argument though, and we agree. i don't think he should be headlining events.

unfortunately, sports is entertainment, and in entertainment its not about who's best, its about who's going to draw the most people.

look at boxing, De La Hoya has never been the best boxer, but he draws the most and sells the most PPV's.

never cared for de la hoya

was glad when trinidad beat him

I think it's obvious that Slice can knock over tomato cans. If he's being so highly billed, I'd like to see him at least fight some more Tank Abbotts. Fighters that may not be what they used to, but have at a minimum some drawing power of their own and are a possible threat to Kimbo. Heck, put him in the cage with the cop from Boston. Just make me think there's a slight chance he could lose. These fights might be good for Elite XC and Bas, but they aren't bringing Kimbo along any faster.

This is sidetracking my main point. He has yet to prove (nor has Bas even attempted to prove) that he is a legit MMA fighter. He is still just a bare knuckle boxer, IMO. Until I see him do something other than taking a boxer's stance and KO'ing tomato cans, I don't see any reason to think otherwise. If Thompson doesn't shoot even once then I'm calling a fix on EliteXC for coaching his opponents NOT to take it to the mat.

That being said, I'd be PLEASANTLY surprised to see him take Thompson down. That would prove to me that this is more than just an internet gone legit "freak show" performance.

This is sidetracking my main point. He has yet to prove (nor has Bas even attempted to prove) that he is a legit MMA fighter. He is still just a bare knuckle boxer, IMO. Until I see him do something other than taking a boxer's stance and KO'ing tomato cans, I don't see any reason to think otherwise. If Thompson doesn't shoot even once then I'm calling a fix on EliteXC for coaching his opponents NOT to take it to the mat.

That being said, I'd be PLEASANTLY surprised to see him take Thompson down. That would prove to me that this is more than just an internet gone legit "freak show" performance.

striking will always be his strong suit. hell you can look at his youtube videos and look at his fights and see how his technique has improved. he's by no means close to world-class, but he is a competent striker at least using his hands, and is taking his training seriously to improve.

Kimbo keeping it standing and KO'ng people is no different from world-class bjj guys who have no stand-up (like Demian Maia for instance) looking immediately to go to the ground and submit people.

calling the fight a fix if Thompson doesn't shoot just doesn't make sense, we've all seen how gameplans can go out the window when step in the ring

striking will always be his strong suit. hell you can look at his youtube videos and look at his fights and see how much technique he has. he's by no means world-class, but he is a competent striker at least using his hands.

Kimbo keeping it standing and KO'ng people is no different from world-class bjj guys who have no stand-up (like Demian Maia for instance) looking immediately to go to the ground and submit people.

calling the fight a fix if Thompson doesn't shoot just doesn't make sense, we've all seen how gameplans can go out the window when step in the ring

Perhaps an exaggeration, but will still make me wonder. Who doesn't gameplan for their opponents? If he stands and bangs with Kimbo, it would be like throwing in the towel. It's just a dumb idea.

As for BJJ guys. That's fine, but they actually fight strikers. That's my point. Is he ever going to fight anything other than strikers? Hell, fight bjj guys that are young or inexperienced. It'd just be nice to see what he does other than box.

Perhaps an exaggeration, but will still make me wonder. Who doesn't gameplan for their opponents? If he stands and bangs with Kimbo, it would be like throwing in the towel. It's just a dumb idea.

As for BJJ guys. That's fine, but they actually fight strikers. That's my point. Is he ever going to fight anything other than strikers? Hell, fight bjj guys that are young or inexperienced. It'd just be nice to see what he does other than box.

again this is only his 3rd professional fight. if he gets to his 6th and still hasn't fought anyone with a ground game, then i'll join you in your complaint:cheers:

never cared for de la hoya

was glad when trinidad beat him

Trinidad won the scorecard but did not beat Oscar....Oscar ruled him for 8 rounds then coasted adn the judges were offended and took him to task for it....that was such BS....I'm no Oscar fan but damn if he didn't beat Trinidad in that first fight and I was rooting for him over Make it Rain ThugLife Mayweather.

If Kimbo loses his shine loses too....Liddell has lost several times now but still is a draw but was champ forever...Crop Cop got KTFO and lost his confidence(I don't think Kimbo will if he loses though cause fighting is his life)and now is in Elite XC...he wasn't ready for the glam that is the UFC....I hope he comes back though cause his left leg and fist are killers.

Well, I'm not sure what the hell to think after this fight. Stoppage was early, but that very same ref stopped more than one fight tonight early. Thompson at least had a gameplan, although it was pathetic to see him in side mount and get thrown off. Especially when he outweighs Kimbo. That being said, Kimbo won't amount to much in the sport, but God bless him. Had he started 10 years ago, perhaps he'd have had a chance.

Bas, I don't know what the hell you're doing other than trying to make a buck. Expected more from you. :2cents:

Damn that was a bad stoppage. Kimbo would have probably eventually KOed him a few seconds later but you never know. The ref was pretty bias especially with those quick standups. I understand people want to see Kimbo stand but Thompson was in good position in alot of those standups. I got to give it up for Thompson's chin, it suprisingly withstood alot of damage.

The Lawler-Smith matchup was pretty good too. Sad the way it had to end. I really didn't appreciate the booing seeing that fight was at no point boring. Maybe the audience expected a brawl as soon as the bell rang.

I was watching "Tapout" on Vs from 7-8. Anyone ever seen that show? Who the **** is the dude in the Slash from Guns 'n' Roses hat and paint on his face and braces on his teeth? I guess he's the host? What a douchebag!

I was watching "Tapout" on Vs from 7-8. Anyone ever seen that show? Who the **** is the dude in the Slash from Guns 'n' Roses hat and paint on his face and braces on his teeth? I guess he's the host? What a douchebag!

All 3 guys are douches, IMO. Apparently they own the clothing line. Stooges but they know how to market.

All 3 guys are douches, IMO. Apparently they own the clothing line. Stooges but they know how to market.

yeah them guys are some characters, but they've been around MMA pretty much since it started and helped promote the sport and alot of unknown fighters. as annoying as they are, they are good for the sport