Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Never too late to start man. Training any branch of MMA will whip you into shape quickly :whip:

HA! While I truly appreciate the message, I am not a fighting man. Just a life-long fan, thanks to a father who raised me on the love of boxing. I'll stick to the couch and enjoy the ride from there.

Woo! Man, UFC 85 is looking amazing right now. Bisping is matched up against Leben!

Matt Hughes vs. Thiago Alves

Chris Leben vs. Michael Bisping

Marcus Davis vs. Mike Swick

Rashad Evans vs. James Irvin

Brandon Vera vs. Fabricio Werdum

How is that for a main card???? The undercard isn't bad at all, either.

I hope the Crippler beats Bisping. :D

Cro Cop sure doesn't get a break in the dangerous opponent department. He should warm up to a bout like this but he just keeps taking the big fights.

He actually just had a fight in March that was a warm-up, he TKO'd Tatsuya Mizuno (I've never heard of him) in less than a minute.

I'm pumped about Alves/Hughes! ATT! Glad to see Thiago "Pit Bull" Alves get a shot at another big name after beating Karo. I think he beats the crap out of Hughes and then should fight Serra. If he wins, give him a title shot. Don't sleep on Alves' ground game, BJJ is American Top Team's bread and butter.

One more thing...is anyone else annoyed at how ugly this year's draft day hats are? The '06 ones were awesome (solid color, small logo centered on front, big logo off center printed over mesh on back)

AND I'm REALLY pissed about my 75th Anniv. Authentic Portis that I thought was a steal at $150 down from $305 now going for $79.99

I'm pumped about Alves/Hughes! ATT! Glad to see Thiago "Pit Bull" Alves get a shot at another big name after beating Karo. I think he beats the crap out of Hughes and then should fight Serra. If he wins, give him a title shot. Don't sleep on Alves' ground game, BJJ is American Top Team's bread and butter.

I think that no matter who wins, Matt Hughes next opponent will be Serra. The UFC built that match up for a while and the fans still want to see it pretty bad.

If Alves wins, and Marcus Davis wins on that same card, I would guess that we'll see Alves vs. Davis (which I would LOVE to see).

Also, I would almost put money on GSP's next fight being against Fitch. It only makes sense IMO.

According to Matt Hughes' website he is fighting Serra next no matter what. An Alves/Davis fight would be insane to watch. Davis has better hands and chin, Alves has better kicks and Muay Thai, both have plenty of cardio....that would be a great fight.

I completelty forgot about the local UWC card here this weekend...anyone go to it?

http://mmajunkie.com/news/4230/spratt-stops-von-flue-at-uwc.mma

Pete Spratt (18-12) defeated fellow former UFC fighter Jason Von Flue (12-10-1) in the main event of the Ultimate Warrior Challenge's recent "Invasion" show.

The event took place this past Saturday at the Patriot Center, which is located on the campus of George Mason University in Fairfax, Va.

In the main event of the night's nine-fight card, Spratt used shots to the body to set up a knockout at 2:34 of the first round.

Spratt returned to action for the first time since his second-round submission loss to up-and-comer Ryan Ford at a February Maximum Fighting Championships event. The former UFC fighter and "The Ultimate Fighter 4" cast member has now won three of his past four fights. He had previously suffered a string of three consecutive losses.

Von Flue, a cast member from "The Ultimate Fighter 2," meanwhile has lost his past four fights -- and six of his past seven.

Also in action at Saturday's event was veteran Thomas Schulte (17-6), who defeated former UFC and WEC fighter Zach Light (4-6) via first-round submission.

Former WEC welterweight contender Carlo Prater (22-6-1) and UFC/PRIDE vet Aaron Riley (24-10-1) also picked up victories at the event.

The draft had my full attention. I heard that Rampage and Andrei Arlovski were there signing stuff.

Huerta vs. Florian is on!

UFC 87

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=6174&zoneid=2

Sources from both fighters’ camps have confirmed that Kenny Florian will face Roger Huerta at UFC 87 on Aug. 9 in Minneapolis, Minn. Both fighters have received and are expected to sign their bout agreements.

Florian is just weeks removed from an impressive win against Joe Lauzon at UFC Fight Night 13 in Broomfield, Colo. The Boston lightweight has been rapidly climbing back to contender status since his loss to Sean Sherk for the lightweight title at UFC 64.

Florian knows his next shot at the lightweight belt is on the line.

"It's kind of rare when you get two guys who are positively number one and number two in the division that are actually going to fight to be the number one contender to fight for that belt later on," Florian told MMAWeekly.com. "I think it will be great for both of our careers, and it's the biggest fight you can put together in our division."

Huerta, who currently resides in Minnesota, exploded onto the scene in 2007 with five straight victories, most recently a come-from-behind win against Clay Guida at The Ultimate Fighter 6 finale that was widely considered to be one of the best fights of 2007. The fight with Florian will be his first in nine months, part of a self-expressed desire to take time off following one of the busiest stretches in his career.

"He's a game opponent, and he's never going to quit," Florian said of Huerta's reputation. "It doesn't matter how tired he gets, he's gonna keep going, and those are the kind of guys that I want to fight. He's on a roll, he's very confident right now. And I like the kid. I know him personally. He's a good kid, and we get along great. He has a bright future, regardless of what happens in the fight with me."

The showdown will bolster a fight card that also touts another match-up with strong local interest between Minnesota native Brock Lesnar and former UFC heavyweight champion and Ohio State wrestler Mark Coleman.

Huerta was unavailable for comment at the time of publication.

JZ Calvancante and Shinya Aoki are trying to get their fight in tomorrow. Anybody know when it will be on? I'd like to stream it...

Sakuraba, although he's getting ancient, is also fighting on this card. :cheers:

14789.jpg

i believe this fight happens live in a couple of hours (4am est)

so far i haven't been able to find a stream for it yet. since its only being shown live in Japan, its hard to find a source to stream it.

Huerta vs. Florian is on!

UFC 87

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=6174&zoneid=2

Sources from both fighters’ camps have confirmed that Kenny Florian will face Roger Huerta at UFC 87 on Aug. 9 in Minneapolis, Minn. Both fighters have received and are expected to sign their bout agreements.

Florian is just weeks removed from an impressive win against Joe Lauzon at UFC Fight Night 13 in Broomfield, Colo. The Boston lightweight has been rapidly climbing back to contender status since his loss to Sean Sherk for the lightweight title at UFC 64.

Florian knows his next shot at the lightweight belt is on the line.

"It's kind of rare when you get two guys who are positively number one and number two in the division that are actually going to fight to be the number one contender to fight for that belt later on," Florian told MMAWeekly.com. "I think it will be great for both of our careers, and it's the biggest fight you can put together in our division."

Huerta, who currently resides in Minnesota, exploded onto the scene in 2007 with five straight victories, most recently a come-from-behind win against Clay Guida at The Ultimate Fighter 6 finale that was widely considered to be one of the best fights of 2007. The fight with Florian will be his first in nine months, part of a self-expressed desire to take time off following one of the busiest stretches in his career.

"He's a game opponent, and he's never going to quit," Florian said of Huerta's reputation. "It doesn't matter how tired he gets, he's gonna keep going, and those are the kind of guys that I want to fight. He's on a roll, he's very confident right now. And I like the kid. I know him personally. He's a good kid, and we get along great. He has a bright future, regardless of what happens in the fight with me."

The showdown will bolster a fight card that also touts another match-up with strong local interest between Minnesota native Brock Lesnar and former UFC heavyweight champion and Ohio State wrestler Mark Coleman.

Huerta was unavailable for comment at the time of publication.

Good fight, but I think it's a bad matchup for Huerta. Huerta did keep up with spaz-man Clay Guida, so it's hard to say this, but Roger may be too much of a patient fighter to beat Kenny. He picks his spots and has been hit well in every fight I've seen him in. I think Kenny has too much instinct and drive for Huerta, and will overwhelm him. I want Kenny to fight Sean the Lean Shark Sherk, so he can teach him a thing or two about finishing fights!

It should be a challenging warm up before he takes on Sherk, or perhaps Penn, but Huerta's style feeds Kenny's.

I'll do a sig bet with you just b/c I really think this fight could go either way, so why not some friendly competition.

Breaking down the fight I have it dead even:

Striking-BJ

Power-Even: BJ hits harder but Sherk is much stronger in the clinch/control/takedowns

Wrestling- Sherk

BJJ- BJ

Cardio-Sherk

I think it really comes down to two things. How crisp will Sherk look after the layoff due to suspension, and will BJ have any cardio?

Good fight, but I think it's a bad matchup for Huerta. Huerta did keep up with spaz-man Clay Guida, so it's hard to say this, but Roger may be too much of a patient fighter to beat Kenny. He picks his spots and has been hit well in every fight I've seen him in. I think Kenny has too much instinct and drive for Huerta, and will overwhelm him. I want Kenny to fight Sean the Lean Shark Sherk, so he can teach him a thing or two about finishing fights!

It should be a challenging warm up before he takes on Sherk, or perhaps Penn, but Huerta's style feeds Kenny's.

And the main even is Lesnar vs. Coleman?

I think Lesnar has a shot here. Coleman's 43 and he hasn't fought since 2006 when he lost to Fedor in Pride and he didn't look bad at all against Frank Mir. If it weren't for Mazzagatti spazzing over some back-of-the-head shots that weren't intentional, there's a good chance Lesnar could've TKO'd him.

I'm actually interested in this HW fight.

Aoki defeated JZ via unanimous decision

Sakuraba wins via neck crank

i didn't think Aoki would win, but i'm glad he did. he's one of my favorite fighters out there. gotta respect any fighter brave enough to rock the rainbow-tights

also Dennis Kang lost via triangle choke. this dude was once considered a threat to Anderson Silva, hope he gets back on track soon, because he's an exciting fighter.