Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

I don't get why we keep seeing major contenders go against fighters ranked much, much lower.

Just in the past week alone, this is the 2nd time in a week, where a top-ranked contender fights a 14th ranked fighter....

last week with RDA against Diaz, and this Saturday with Barao against Gagnon.

What does it prove, when top contenders get wins against un-ranked guys like this ?

Or are these 2 fights considered special circumstances ?

I imagine Diaz got the fight for name recgnition alone, and maybe Barao is being "penalized" in this matchup, because of the fiasco

that went down in his last scheduled fight with TJ. Or is it something else ?

There's been other examples of this, I just can't recall the matchups

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

Part of the problem is how the fighters are ranked.

97% of the "media" responsible for ranking the fighters either don't know **** about MMA or are receiving wads of cash from fighters' managers for a better ranking.

Before they were just annoying, but now with the plan to divide Reebok sponsorship money by rankings, those idiots will be messing with a fighters bottom line.

Edited by StillUnknown
  • Like 1

Barao is being penalized for ko'ing himself during the weight cut for his rematch with TJ.

As for Fitch winning the suit, I have read a few lawyers & economist's opinions and it doesn't look good for the fighters. Generally, antitrust protects competition, not competitors, so the fact that the UFC has few big time competiting promotions is not the issue.

Where the case might hold water-because this point alone won't win it as I understand it- has to do with the UFC owning fighter image rights for life. The suit argues that when a fighter tries to go to a rival promotion they are not able to offer a full set of services since the UFC owns their image rights and the fighter does not receive an offer worth his full value since some services are owned by the UFC.

All pundits with experience in the field of anti trust think this will either be dismissed or settled if it does go ahead, no trial or verdict will cone from this, the UFC would not want to disclose how much they make. Best case scenario is fighters get a settlement to cover 3+ years of legal fees, maybe a bit of cash & fighters get their image rights back. Maybe fighters end up negotiating smarter as a result.

• Like 1