Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Pieces Are In Place: 2006 = 1991

kingdaddy

Yeah I have to agree with a little of everything here.

I think the 2008 skins with Jason will be more like the 91 Skins cause Campbell is taller like the Ripper.

With that said I think the 91 skins are more like the 87 skins and the 83 skins are more like the 2006 skins.

Im thinking the Giants are more like the Cowboys. I think the eagles are like the falcons and the panthers are like the jaqs. The Colts are like the pats and the bengles are like the steelers...

WTF...lol

need more coffee... weres my meds.... :doh:

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :applause:

I parodied this unrest in a thread by suggesting we replace our entire offensive line with 12 year old Cambodian immigrants. The thread was closed down within 15 minutes, but I wanted the spirit to live on.

So I was right, a bit scary!

i get the feeling that this team resembles A) the '82 team since no one in the media picked us and they mostly feel that Gibbs needs to prove himself (in this era) or B) the '87 Skins, who got to the Super Bowl mainly on the play of a young QB (Schroeder=Campbell) only to have the old veteran with the resurrected career (Williams=Brunell) come in and win the Super Bowl.

Just a couple things from one of the "old" posters:

The 1991 team was one of the finest teams in the HISTORY of the NFL. I am continually amazed that when publications or other media sources put out their "Greatest NFL teams of all time" the 1991 Redskins are rarely, if ever, mentioned. This team was dominant. My friend and I were reminicing about this team on the golf course the other day, and how wonderful it was going into every game just knowing the Skins would dominate. My favorite year of all time...maybe because I went to the Minny Superbowl--hope the next one is in a warm place.

Secondly, Joe Jacoby did not play Tackle on that team, he was the left Guard lining up next to Lachey. George Starke was the starting right Tackle.

actually it gets mentioned quite a bit usually between third and sixth best team of all time

Are you seriously saying George Starke was playing on the 1991 team?

Starke retired after the 1984 season.

Maybe you meant Mark May, but even he wasn't with the Redskins at that point. He was with the Chargers in 1991.

The offensive line for the 1991 season was Jacoby at right tackle, Schlereth at right guard, Bostic at center, MacKenzie at left guard, and Lachey at left tackle.

You saved me the same response. Thanks

There's a rather large monkeywrench to be thrown into this comparison, folks....

Paul Tagliabue and his demonic CBA/Salary Cap system.

That 1991 Redskins team was DOMINANT. Their average game during the regular season was a greater than 16 point WIN. In the playoffs that number actually went UP. That team shut out three different opponents, if I remember correctly, during the regular season. The Super Bowl was effectively over at halftime and definitely over two plays after the second half kickoff.

That sort of team and season don't exist in the NFL anymore. It's become a league focused on being the least-bad team, not the BEST team. If Gibbs and Co. can recreate something even close to that 1991 team, I'll be pleasantly surprised. I just don't really see it being possible anymore.

The performance of an offensive line is directly related to the abilities of the defensive lines that they face.

We won't be facing a Michael Strahan in his prime anymore. In fact Strahan is at the age that Reggie White begin to decline and get injured. The Cowboys don't have a great pass rushing defensive line. And the Eagles are redoing thier defensive line so we have no idea what they are going to be like.

Lucky for us we start off the season with Minnesota though. We will probably appear to be a juggernaught during that first game because their defense up there in Minn. is not very good and isn't likely to stuff the Skins run.

There's a rather large monkeywrench to be thrown into this comparison, folks....

Paul Tagliabue and his demonic CBA/Salary Cap system.

That 1991 Redskins team was DOMINANT. Their average game during the regular season was a greater than 16 point WIN. In the playoffs that number actually went UP. That team shut out three different opponents, if I remember correctly, during the regular season. The Super Bowl was effectively over at halftime and definitely over two plays after the second half kickoff.

That sort of team and season don't exist in the NFL anymore. It's become a league focused on being the least-bad team, not the BEST team. If Gibbs and Co. can recreate something even close to that 1991 team, I'll be pleasantly surprised. I just don't really see it being possible anymore.

the beatuy of it is that while the coaches that stayed around after Gibbs left grew accustomed to the salary cap era. the younger coaches were weaned on it.

Gibbs came back and everyone said that he couldnt survive in the SC era. they were wrong. because of his "outside the box" perspective of the cap he has found a way to build his kind of team. where every other coach and FO is still thinking inside of the boundaries that were created when the NFL went into the cap era.

that is why we build out squad differently than any other team and our players contracts are structered the way they are.

Gibbs turned his long absence into a positive by not blindly going along with the accepted cap era strategies that everyone else thought were the only course of action.

as the man himself said, " everyone could do what we do, they just choose not to" (or something like that)

i have thought it for a while and i am prepared to go on record now. no matter how good people think the Skins will be in 2006 most will be wrong because they will be even better.

this is a team like we have not seen in a great while. a solid mix of coaching, raw skill, talent, heart, determination and, thanks to Gibbs, selflessness and team first mentallity.

we should send the man a thank you card.

Are you seriously saying George Starke was playing on the 1991 team?

Starke retired after the 1984 season.

Maybe you meant Mark May, but even he wasn't with the Redskins at that point. He was with the Chargers in 1991.

The offensive line for the 1991 season was Jacoby at right tackle, Schlereth at right guard, Bostic at center, MacKenzie at left guard, and Lachey at left tackle.

good eye...my all time fav team! might have something to do with both of our ages...

what about the Dline i remeber conlin?, mann, stokes, geathers.

also great games in skins history what about the last dallas game in RFK. man that was a heart stopper!!!!:dallasuck :helmet: :logo:

i have thought it for a while and i am prepared to go on record now. no matter how good people think the Skins will be in 2006 most will be wrong because they will be even better.

this is a team like we have not seen in a great while. a solid mix of coaching, raw skill, talent, heart, determination and, thanks to Gibbs, selflessness and team first mentallity.

Ok. So here on June 25th 2006, nearly a month before training camp even starts you're willing to tell me that this Redskins team WILL BE as good as that team in 1991 was? They WILL BE as dominant as that team was? A team that should have been 19-0?

we should send the man a thank you card.

Thanks for the advice but I'll wait for us to repeat the 1991 season before I put that in the mail if you don't mind.

Ok. So here on June 25th 2006, nearly a month before training camp even starts you're willing to tell me that this Redskins team WILL BE as good as that team in 1991 was? They WILL BE as dominant as that team was? A team that should have been 19-0?

Thanks for the advice but I'll wait for us to repeat the 1991 season before I put that in the mail if you don't mind.

did you play on the 91 team or something? good lord.

as i said in an earlier post the two teams cant be compared. further, where in the post that you quoted did you infer that i was claiming that the 2006 squad WOULD be better? please, if you are going to respond to me at least read what i write.

heres the point, other than reading is fundamental, even if the 2006 Skins went undefeated they still couldnt be compared to the 1991 Skins because of the eras in which each team played. the level of competition is different now than it was then.there was no parity then as there is now. the 2006 Skins can only be compared to teams of today, their competition.

im merely saying that Gibbs has found a way to make a Gibbs team despite the salary cap. no other team or FO has. that is why they all follow the same pattern of team building and we differ.

if you think that Gibbs needs to prove more before he earns your thanks as a Skins fan you can go ahead and wait as long as you like. i for one am already eternally grateful.

when we are crushing fools next season and everyone is all smiles ill expect a shot of cuervo at the endzone bar for your faithlessness.

did you play on the 91 team or something? good lord.

No, I didn't play on that team. It's just the benchmark I use to measure all Redskins teams since then.

as i said in an earlier post the two teams cant be compared. further, where in the post that you quoted did you infer that i was claiming that the 2006 squad WOULD be better? please, if you are going to respond to me at least read what i write.

I disagree. That 1991 team is the benchmark I use to measure all Redskins teams since then. Especially since our owner voted this spring to extend the CBA/Salary Cap system that ensures a team like that one would likely never be able to be built again

You were commenting in your previous post about this 2006 team exceeding the expectations of everyone. Well, my expectation is a repeat of the 1991 season, at least. Every year.

heres the point, other than reading is fundamental, even if the 2006 Skins went undefeated they still couldnt be compared to the 1991 Skins because of the eras in which each team played. the level of competition is different now than it was then.there was no parity then as there is now. the 2006 Skins can only be compared to teams of today, their competition.

HORSECRAP. Teams from different eras CAN be compared. Especially when it's the owners who have gone and cut the nuts off of this league. They've created this disgusting era of parity and mediocrity. They can have their teams unfavorably compared to teams from the day and age when the league actually had some credibility.

im merely saying that Gibbs has found a way to make a Gibbs team despite the salary cap. no other team or FO has. that is why they all follow the same pattern of team building and we differ.

If a "Gibbs team" is truly anything like a New England Patriots team circa the last 5 years, which is apparantly what it takes to win these days, then I don't want this team to win.

if you think that Gibbs needs to prove more before he earns your thanks as a Skins fan you can go ahead and wait as long as you like. i for one am already eternally grateful.

Yes, I do. So far as I am concerned when a player or coach re-enters the league after leaving it, they have to prove their worth again. In fact, I would go so far as to say that if Gibbs can't win another Super Bowl, his inclusion in the NFL Hall of Fame should be looked at again.

when we are crushing fools next season and everyone is all smiles ill expect a shot of cuervo at the endzone bar for your faithlessness.

LOL. The NFL doesn't allow people to crush other teams anymore. That's exactly what the Parity/Salary Cap era is about ensuring DOESN'T happen. I don't get down to DC from Massachusetts for games. If they can match that 16 point average margin of victory in the regular season, I'll sent you $100 to go to dinner though.

After watching the NFL Network run the highlights from the 1991 Redskins season, there's no doubt in my mind that Joe Gibbs is re-creating a similar team for 2006. The 91 team had so much talent that Mark Rypien could throw the ball just about anywhere on the field and a great player would be there to catch it. The same is going to be true this year for Brunell. That 91 team had one of the greatest runs ever in football. They were dominant.

By getting Lloyd and Randle El, along with Moss, Cooley and Sellers, the passing game is absolutely loaded. Just think what this is going to be like. Also, if they can mix in some screens to Portis, it will keep defenses even more honest. Plus, this years defense should be just as good or better than the 91 Skins D. I believe in Joe. :cheers: :notworthy

>> The 2006 team looks comparable except for one thing: There is no Art Monk-like possession receiver. Gibbs won SB with different QB, different RBs, but Monk was a major contributor on all 3 SB teams.

Also, Goodburn and Lohmiller had awesome seasons in 1991. Chip led the league in scoring and Goodburn (I think) led in net punting average. I have no such expectations for Frost....... ;)

I do not think that is a fair comparison as of yet. I understand what you're saying but just can't make that comparison yet.

Agreed... the 06 Skins' have to prove themselves! But, I anticipate that road being a warpath!

And this years Offensive Line looks very promising!

>> The 2006 team looks comparable except for one thing: There is no Art Monk-like possession receiver. Gibbs won SB with different QB, different RBs, but Monk was a major contributor on all 3 SB teams.

Also, Goodburn and Lohmiller had awesome seasons in 1991. Chip led the league in scoring and Goodburn (I think) led in net punting average. I have no such expectations for Frost....... ;)

Excellent points, the HOF voters (subliminal Art Monk) should take note! The kickers and punters are often over looked in these discussions. Usually that doesn't bother me but Lohmiller had one of many great seasons. It seens like we never really replaced him.

I think this team may be one of the best possible teams gibbs could have assembled in FA. Since 'Dynasties' may no longer be possible, I think we've got the closest equivalent. I do think a majority of our players want to be in such environments that Gibbs has created. Next year, Gibbs will plug all remaining gaps, I have absolute faith. Gibbs will then have recreated a Legacy that will remain intact and on track for years to come. From the sorry state Spurrier left the skins in, to the nearly complete weapon we are now.

The problems:

First, '91 skins had one of the best O-Line's of all time. Seriously, watch some of those videoes and clock how long Mark Rypien took to throw the ball.

Sceond, '91 skins weren't just assembled. It was Clark Monk and Sanders 6th year together on the team, as opposed to Moss, who's only been with the team for a year, and Lloyd and ARE who just joined the team.

If the offensive line can step up to epic levels, and our offense can get some chemistry going, then maybe we can be dominant, but I don't think this team can really be compared to the '91 Skins just yet.

Okay...I don't remember the '91 team being that great prior to that year, but I could be wrong...Well I checked and I'm not wrong. IN FACT..both the 89 and 90 teams had the same record as last year's 05 team and the 05 team was better statistically with the exception of the 89 year where Rypien and his receivers had a great year.

However, you are seriously underestimating, or better yet not giving enough credit, to our current offensive line. Samuels is...well a friggin' Pro Bowler, and so is Thomas who according to many sports writers got snubbed. Also many think that Jansen got very little credit for protecting Brunell's (b/c he is a lefty) back side and should have gotten more credit where Samuels got all the praise by default. Dock is arguably one of the most mobile big men in the game with mass potential.

"Rabach started all 16 games and was part of an offensive line that helped running back Clinton Portis rush for a single-season team record 1,516 yards."

What a cop-out to say we don't compare to the 91 SB Champs...that's easy to say b/c the 91 team won the whole thing, but if you look close there is some validity to the comparison. Actually in many ways the 05 team was better, but that is certainly arguable...it's just my own opinion.

I think this (the original) post was a good one, and as far as the receivers...Moss had more yards and TD's than Sanders and Monk combined in 1990...that was the year before they won. And, Portis out-rushed his current position coach by 300 yards comparing the two years. :point2sky

I'd say we're in good shape!

HTTR!

By the way, our running game far exceeds that of the '91, '90, and '89 teams...Clinton and our O-line will be the reason we get to the dance if it happens :logo:

We stay healthy in 06 and we're dancin' baby...mark my words :cheers:

Offensively, the 91 team was absolutely dominant. They had outstanding players at virtually every position. And, the play calling that year was awesome. The offense had incredible balance, something the 2005 team did not have, especially in the playoffs. This year, 06, with Al Saunders on board, I expect better balance and many more points. We have explosive team speed and toughness. When I said the pieces are in place I meant that we have just as much fire power or more than the 91 team did on offense and we may have a better defense now.

I agree with the poster who said how much fun it was that year watching the 91 team. You not only knew they would win, but you knew they were going to put up a lot of points and control the clock. This year, with all of the weapons we have, it should be a similar story.

Archived